baumer

Riddick (2013)

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's good. Like Fast & Furious 6, it knows what the audience wants and delivers it well. Admittedly, it doesn't get Pitch Black-y until the final third of the film, but the first two thirds are more than entertaining enough, with Riddick adapting to the new planet and taking on the bounty hunters. As far as plot goes, there's not many twists which'll seriously surprise you (although there's a pleasant subversion of what I was expecting near the end), but you don't exactly expect a movie like Riddick to be seriously surprising.

The only major criticism I have of the film is that the main heroine, Dobbs, really isn't very interesting/likeable. On the plus side, she's not nearly as prominent as the teasers/plot summary would lead us to believe.

I'd give it maybe an 8/10, around what I gave the first Pitch Black.

I honestly would have been perfectly happy with the entire movie just Riddick trying to survive a harsh planet. Just have him survive until he happens upon a ship. He fixes it and then leaves, ready for more adventures. It's still a fun movie at times, but there's way too much backstory and nonsense mythology that bogs the precedings down.

Grade: B+

I really good reintroduction of the character. The story manages to bridge both prior installments into this one. The first act shows you just why Riddick is a survivor and deadly. The second act, while focusing more on the Bounty Hunters, shows you how Riddick is a planner and not merely the base savage that either A)He thinks he is or B) the "civilized" ones would like to believe. The third act vs the monsters is Pitch Black throw back so just enjoy!

I personally would like to know if the "humans", Necros, Furyans etc are humanity's future or something more. Riddick doesn't seem to know what Crab is but in Pitch Black he's talking making a deal with a doctor for 20 packs of Kools. 

I'd like another movie to find middle ground of the isolated planet scenario and the grand scope of Riddick. Place Riddick into other terrains. This should perform well enough for another entry should Vin & his partners elect to do so. 

It was... okay. They were definitely fairly successful within the smaller-scale scope of the production. My problem was the (mostly) incredibly thin characters and (mostly) weak banter. Katee Sackoff's Dahl was a particular standout of lousy characterization (the Badass Woman, as if she needed nothing else), combined with a weak performance where she did nothing but smirk and scowl. C/C+, somewhere in there. I did appreciate the occasional nasty kill and the overall production design and environment. And Vin is always good in these sorts of roles.

Maybe because I am not as invested in the whole Riddick character, I loved it.  I liked Pitch Black, hated Chronicles and loved this one.  The first third of the film is like Cast Away.  Just Riddick trying to survive on his own.  So many great scenes.  So much tension.  Then the mercenaries come and I'm expecting it to start sucking and it doesn't.  I even liked Bautista in the film.

I won't say too much except that it's one of my faves of the year, and that shocks me.

9/10

Well thankfully Baumer did not give this movie the kiss of death for me. The movie never hit any particular highs, but it never hit any particular lows either. A few good lines, A few tense moments, and a few good action scenes make this movie a pleasant way to pass the 100 odd minutes.

B

Well thankfully Baumer did not give this movie the kiss of death for me. The movie never hit any particular highs, but it never hit any particular lows either. A few good lines, A few tense moments, and a few good action scenes make this movie a pleasant way to pass the 100 odd minutes.

B

All jokes aside, besides Twilight and Transformers, most films I like the forum members like too.  What are ten of your fave films Phil?

Its ok B movie fun 

First one is still the best ... mainly cause its original this one does a lot of the same stuff which is kinda disappointing 

On a side note wasn't it ridiculous that the father of the character that died 10 years ago had around 40 years here ? and his sone was around 30 in the first movie ? I remember the character from the first movie so it kinda bugged me 

6/10 

Solid movie that delivers the atmosphere and tension on all cylinders. The three-act structure is very deftly handled with the changes of focus and genre each time.Santana is the kind of character you love to hate, not much depth to the character at all, but the actor sells it with so much aplomb.