baumer

Random Thoughts by the forum members (formerly 20 random thoughts)

I'm attending a movie festival this weekend. Joensuu is a bit of a movie town, meaning our beloved theater Tapio holds several annual events. Last week they had the annual horror/cult/exploitation all-nighter which has always been very successful. Starting from 10PM and ending at 7, they showed movies like Blood for Dracula, The Worm Eaters and Flesh for Frankenstein. This weekend its Rokumentti, a fest thats a weird mix of music documentaries and films with heavy, global themes like abortion, greed, identity, violence and pedophilia. 

I'm seeing a few pretty interesting movies: documentaries Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me, The Stone Roses: Made of Stone and The Great Hip Hop Hoax, and dramatic films Dead Man (by Jim Jarmusch) and We Are The Best! (by Luukas Modysson).

Posted Image

• Like 1

Looking at their site right now I see a whole bunch of interesting movies: All Is Lost, The Double, The Invisible Woman, Nebraska..

None of them are all that interesting to me really. My aim next year is to get to the London Film Festival. Will certainly need to get a BFI membership for it though. Otherwise all of the big ticket movies are sold out by the time tickets go on general release.

1) Is Vince Vaughn's career dead?  No, it's not dead but it is in hibernation right now.  His last hit was 4 years ago with Couples Retreat.  After that he has gone on to make some pretty bad films and the top gross for any film since was The Dilemma.  Delivery Man is one of the worst films I've seen.  I'm not sure what he has to do to get back to making good films, but whatever he is doing now, isn't working.

2) The Running Man was released 26 years ago.  It's quite amazing how a film made that long ago actually got some of the ideas of the future right.  We are on the brink of Martial Law (you might not think it but it's close) and reality TV is dominating the airwaves.  I watched it last night and although it's a pretty silly film, it's still quite fun.

3) We've been over and over this too many times, but one more thought about the opening of THGCF.  Think about what 158 million dollars in one weekend is.  That's more money in 3.5 days that films like The Heat, We're The Millers, The Great Gatsby and Conjuring made in their entire runs.  And those films are box office giants of 2013.  You can't be upset with a monster opening like that.

4) I kind of miss having a Spielberg film out at this time of year.  Right now he has nothing imminent on his horizon.  The last film he directed was Lincoln and there's something comforting about having a Spielberg film out for the holidays.  I hope he finds another project soon.  

5) This looks to be a busy weekend for movie goers.  Frozen and Catching Fire are no doubt the toast of Thanksgiving weekend but you have other choices like Homefront and Oldboy as well.  Should be lots of dollars spent this weekend and the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Come on baumer, at least give Stephen King credit for writing the novella The Running Man is adapted from (the novella is so much better)

I've read the novella and yes it's good.  But it's not King, its Bachman.  :)