AdamKendall

Weekend #s Insidious 2 41.5M, Family 14.5 Riddick 7.0 Butler 5.5

Both political themes films White House Down and Elysium didn't cross 100 mil, yet Butler will for some reason.Anyway, Insidius 2 was pretty decent, but not as good as the first. Maybe because I am sick.

The Butler wasn't in your face, when it came to its message, and it’s also more uplifting and inspirational. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

One political aspect of The Butler I can understand people getting pissed off over is the Obama related stuff near the end, but it makes sense imo because thats how people were feeling back in 2008. Nobody knew what kind of a president, good or bad, he would end up being, but there was just a huge optimism among people regarding his election. Makes sense to portray it in a positive way imo

LOL I don't get why anyone would be mad at this.  It's a film about civil rights.  It goes into great detail about civil rights and all that black people went through over the years in the US.  It culminates with a black man holding the most powerful job in the world.  This is the coup de grace of the film.  There is nothing to get pissed off about.  You have to see it to put it in context.

Buddy, I think you know deep down that's a completely different scenario... All too often, good horror movies get ruined when the roman numeral starts apearing after the title for nothing more than a cash grab, much like the PA franchise which will be lucky to see that one actually receive a conclusion to the Hunter/Katie angle...

But if horror films keep making money on their puny budgets, why wouldn't they continue making them?

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

One political aspect of The Butler I can understand people getting pissed off over is the Obama related stuff near the end, but it makes sense imo because thats how people were feeling back in 2008. Nobody knew what kind of a president, good or bad, he would end up being, but there was just a huge optimism among people regarding his election. Makes sense to portray it in a positive way imo

That was one of the few "historical" elements (relating to Presidents) they actually nailed pretty accurately, heh.

Edited by ShawnMR

You know the reason why

Posted Image

I think her promoting of the film has something to do with it but not as much as people think.  She also did the same promotion for The Beloved and that tanked as badly as Mortal Instrument is now.

I personally think it's a combination of an all star cast, a relevant subject and good promotion.

• Like 5