Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

41 members have voted

1. 1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Possibly the most divisive Potter film in the series.I loved it. Yates' direction improved considerably. The script was engaging, the cinematography was utterly breathtaking, performances were great (Broadbent, Felton, and Rickman), and the atmosphere oozed off the screen. This is really quite a good film and I can understand why they didn't show the Horcruxes considering they wanted to leave it as a surprise for the next two films. My biggest qualm is definitely the score. It does compliment the film well, but it could have been so much better. Glad Hooper left. A

I think this is still my favorite HP film. I can understand why it's so devisive, but there's just so much to like for me to discount it. It has the best cinematography of the series and the ending is great. Oh, and the pensieve sequences are absolutely stunning.A

Edited by acsc1312

I just hated this movie, it was nothing like the book. I saw it once in the theater, and then I tried to watch it one more time at a friend's house, and it just came across as a Twilight wannabe.

How was it nothing like the book? I truly don't understand this. They left out the memories of the Horcruxes because they wanted to leave the objects as a surprise for the next two films. But Twilight wannabe? How?Thematically, it was true to the book. Would I have changed some things? Absolutely, but it's easily in the better half of the Potter films.

How was it nothing like the book? I truly don't understand this. They left out the memories of the Horcruxes because they wanted to leave the objects as a surprise for the next two films. But Twilight wannabe? How?Thematically, it was true to the book. Would I have changed some things? Absolutely, but it's easily in the better half of the Potter films.

No it wasn't. I almost didn't go see the other two, and it was when other people offered to pay for them, that I went, but the movies lost that magical touch, and just seemed to me like 90210 on broomsticks. The books were a million times better than what we got in the movies. In HBP, there is just nothing, absolutely nothing memorable in it as a movie, the acting is cringe worthy, and it pretty much left a bitter taste in my mouth that carried over when I did see the other two, and I felt the same way about them. They were on the verge of trash.Lets just agree to disagree.

The books are always better - the movies simply can't encompass the depths of the novels. It's impossible.Maybe you need to watch it again? Did you not enjoy the stunning cinematography? Jim Broadbent was brilliant, Tom Felton was excellent (they made us see his journey which was great), Michael Gambon was ace, and Alan Rickman was perfect...I mean, I can understand you not liking the film but I'm truly at a loss at how you don't find even ONE scene memorable? Not even the cave?

The books are always better - the movies simply can't encompass the depths of the novels. It's impossible.Maybe you need to watch it again? Did you not enjoy the stunning cinematography? Jim Broadbent was brilliant, Tom Felton was excellent (they made us see his journey which was great), Michael Gambon was ace, and Alan Rickman was perfect...I mean, I can understand you not liking the film but I'm truly at a loss at how you don't find even ONE scene memorable? Not even the cave?

I seen the movie only 1 and 1/2 times. It's like the Twilight movies to me. I watched the first one, only once, and thought it was just so stupid, I could never bring myself to watch it again. I'll just wait for them to reboot it, and maybe they'll make the movies even better.

That is, without question, the most stunning use of cinematography in ANY fantasy film ever.

Love the shot of McGonagall and Snape shots, which foreshadow DH2Including this scene in the film would've given DH2's opening more meaning IMO

I just watched it, and I have to say, this film just keeps getting better and better for me. Why do some complain about the romance? Lavender has only a few scenes and none of them are long. This is easily the funniest Potter film. "I always like a nice chat before I go to bed. Now you're always reading that bloody book. It's like being with Hermione." That was so funny. They absolutely nailed the characters in the film. One of the greatest additions in the entire series is the fact that we actually see Draco's journey. I adore the part where Draco tests the cabinet with the white bird, and he starts crying when he sees that it was killed during the process. Great little foreshadowing moment when the black bird doesn't die but instead flies out of the cabinet. I can't get over the cinematography in this. The scene with Harry and Draco on the stairs was such creative camerawork. The final scene is just beautiful.Characterization was the best in this film up until DH1. They just nailed the characters to perfection. I think this just might surpass Prisoner of Azkaban to be my third favorite in the franchise, but we'll see.

I just watched it, and I have to say, this film just keeps getting better and better for me. Why do some complain about the romance? Lavender has only a few scenes and none of them are long.This is easily the funniest Potter film. "I always like a nice chat before I go to bed. Now you're always reading that bloody book. It's like being with Hermione." That was so funny.They absolutely nailed the characters in the film. One of the greatest additions in the entire series is the fact that we actually see Draco's journey. I adore the part where Draco tests the cabinet with the white bird, and he starts crying when he sees that it was killed during the process. Great little foreshadowing moment when the black bird doesn't die but instead flies out of the cabinet. I can't get over the cinematography in this. The scene with Harry and Draco on the stairs was such creative camerawork. The final scene is just beautiful.Characterization was the best in this film up until DH1. They just nailed the characters to perfection. I think this just might surpass Prisoner of Azkaban to be my third favorite in the franchise, but we'll see.

+1Pretty much agree with everything you said. I love what Yates did with this film.Score is the only major letdown Edited by spizzer