Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

80 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

That's how I felt; sorry. You can say the Battle of Hogwarts wasn't meant to be some Helm's Deep like battle, but the image I had in my head as I was reading the book sure felt like one. There were also things that I thought Rowling should've put more dramatic focus on in the book such as the deaths of all those side characters; and my hope was always that a cinematic adaptation would address that criticism. Instead Yates made their deaths feel even more insignificant.

I've read the book countless times, and while I always thought the battle was grand, it was never as much as Helm's Deep. I agree with you regarding the deaths. I was completely fine with Tonks/Lupin as the last shot of their hands reaching out for each other was great...but I wish Fred was given more importance. I'm actually okay with not seeing Lupin/Tonks death because it would have been way too much to see all of them die. Overbearing.I would have changed some stuff in the film. But you're telling me the Voldemort/Harry in the film was smaller than the book? Yates made it ten times bigger.

Agreed. The final showdown between Harry and Voldemort was really bad. I was very disappointed, and that's partly the reason why DH1 ranks 1st instead. It's meant to be like biggest moment in the series,yet I felt tons more emotion and excitement in the GOF duel than DH2's.

I agree with tribefan in regards to the deaths of the side characters feeling insignificant. They really failed to draw any sort of emotion. I always felt that Yates underplayed the deaths in the films he directed (in some ways the books did too). The most emotional death of the series (movie wise) was Dobby in my opinion. In regards to supporting actor, I thought Fiennes did an absolutely phenomenal job in this movie, and deserves consideration from the academy. Rickman, although great, did not stand out in this film in comparison to the others. The fact that he was great in all the movies i think kinda hurts him.

• Like 1

I agree with tribefan in regards to the deaths of the side characters feeling insignificant. They really failed to draw any sort of emotion. I always felt that Yates underplayed the deaths in the films he directed (in some ways the books did too). The most emotional death of the series (movie wise) was Dobby in my opinion. In regards to supporting actor, I thought Fiennes did an absolutely phenomenal job in this movie, and deserves consideration from the academy. Rickman, although great, did not stand out in this film in comparison to the others. The fact that he was great in all the movies i think kinda hurts him.

His death scene is beautiful, though. The soft desperation in his voice knowing he's a few seconds away from death. I don't know, but I would love it if he were nominated. I wouldn't be sad if Fiennes did get nominated, though.

The overall Battle of Hogwarts was a bit lackluster IMO. They definitely couldn't capture the full might of Harry's army, especially in the second wave when the House Elves, Centaurs and other Magical beasts join in, as well as the villagers of Hogsmeade, and from what I remember, each and every family member of the Hogwarts students. They certainly could have gone for a more grand effect.

Like Noctis, I didn't get the excessive praise for Fiennes performance upon the first viewing, but after seeing it several times, his act resonates on me more.

• Like 1

What Yates/Kloves included that weren't in the book:McGonagall and the teachers setting up the protective enchantments around the schoolVoldemort and the Death Eaters attacking the force field and burning it downThe bridge collapsingRon/Hermione in the Chamber of SecretsMaking the Harry/Voldemort battle ten times bigger than it was in the book

• Like 1