#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Not a dry eye at the end of Captain Phillips. Tom Hanks is able to exude a certain degree of relatability that few actors can, but he also knows how to knock your socks off with raw emotion when he wants to. The last 10 minutes of Captain Phillips was a stark reminder of that. Hope this has a leggy run to 125m

Yep, I couldn't hold it back either.  That last ten minutes blew me away.  Very very powerful stuff.

That's the point, though. Kids getting out of school for the Holidays buoyed Avatar's second weekend. I still think it would have the record, regardless, but THR did update with the correct info. Hype is hype, but still, they are correct in saying Gravity is heading toward the best second non-holiday weekend for a film that opened to over 50m.What they were wrong about was that The Incredibles had that record. Actually, it was Monsters, Inc. with a 27.2% drop from 62.6m at the beginning of November 2001.

I get that it's technically correct, it's still poorly worded with that sentence thrown in after they list the record. Someone needs to go back to journalism 101. Edited by GiantCALBears

I think $70m is optimistic. Don't see that much carryover appeal/anticipation from the first one and TA. Of course the trailers do show Loki whoch reinforces the TA associations.

It will be bigger than 70m. Just don't think it will get to 100m. I would be happy if it did.

Yep, I couldn't hold it back either.  That last ten minutes blew me away.  Very very powerful stuff.

You guys are making it hard for me this weekend. I need to see Gravity but I'll be darned if you aren't making a case for Captain Phillips. I love drama and suspense and great acting.

You guys are making it hard for me this weekend. I need to see Gravity but I'll be darned if you aren't making a case for Captain Phillips. I love drama and suspense and great acting.

Seeing both in day might be a bit much, the tension would be too much.

But do it anyway.

Seeing both in day might be a bit much, the tension would be too much.

But do it anyway.

I was thinking that. If I see one stressful movie it might take me a week to recover. From what I'm hearing both are seriously intense.