John Marston

X-Men: Days of Future Past OS thread

I would not compare TA and DOFP despite both of them being CB/SH movies. They are different beasts. 

I am also in the camp that prefered CA2 and DOFP more. But there is no doubt it was a huge WOM juggernaut. its not a joke that a movie that broke OW record by that big a margin and then still had 3x legs. 

No on this site if a film was popular with audiences its overrated ... 

Its the law of the box office forums :) 

I think TA shouldn't be compared as it is an origin story movie depicting the origin of a team forming for the first time.  

This type of movies focus mainly on the character presentation and interractions and TA did it better than Xmen1 or First Class ever did, with the extra difficulty of bringing coherently 4 main characters from their own movie, their own different universe and this with balancing them in a cohesive way....a balance that was never present in Xmen1 or first Class.  The continuity and in depth progression of the character was never depicted as better than in TA compared to other CBM featuring a team.  You really need a very skilled writer and director to succeed in that.

It's totally different from both CA2 and mainly DOFP that are sequels, hence are there to add more depth and focus on the follow up adding a bigger story and progressing on the character journey since it has already taken the time of setting the origin movie in the first movie.  

Now AOU will be another beast and on par as Xmen2, Xmen 3 and DOFP because it will be a sequel to an origin story featuring a team, the follow of the the team already formed, so you can advance with the story which will be the main focus, not the interractions as character devlopment will take the back seat from the storyline.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

I do agree The Avengers lacks depth in certain areas but imo it was a huge achievement for the genre to put all those heroes and their story together into a great package. 

Imo seeing the heroes in the group shot of the Avengers was something fans of comic books films were dying to see and gave everyone a fangasm.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

I do agree The Avengers lacks depth in certain areas but imo it was a huge achievement for the genre to put all those heroes and their story together into a great package. 

Yeah, but see, that exemplifies the issue for me. TA is a great lesson in logistics. The whole MCU is. And the movies ARE entertaining, don't get me wrong. I've seen all at least once in theaters and multiple times at home. And with the charismatic leads, the movies work. But that is the limit of its creative success for me. They need to push the boundary creatively, step out of the production line. But I know said production line churns out money, so I don't expect them to.

Overall, I'm disappointed that they're not doing more, that they're not reaching their creative potential as much as they could. But at least they're not churning out crap, so more power to them.

• Like 5

The avengers was a ballsy project, and had a lot more riding on it then Dofp ever did. X men was a great movie, but in terms of spectacle, fun, heart, and creativity. The avengers blows it away. There had never been a film like The Avengers.

• Like 2

Yeah, but see, that exemplifies the issue for me. TA is a great lesson in logistics. The whole MCU is. And the movies ARE entertaining, don't get me wrong. I've seen all at least once in theaters and multiple times at home. And with the charismatic leads, the movies work. But that is the limit of its creative success for me. They need to push the boundary creatively, step out of the production line. But I know said production line churns out money, so I don't expect them to.

Overall, I'm disappointed that they're not doing more, that they're not reaching their creative potential as much as they could. But at least they're not churning out crap, so more power to them.

Perfectly said!

X men worked bc those characters were always part of a team; the avengers didn't. What Jos Whedon did was amazing, he also gave the characters lots to do.Whereas in xmen, it's still all wolverine.

Wolverine's time was a bit less than Iron Man in Avengers

Edited by Blink23

People make it seem they had an easy job.

They made a film on a guy who was bouncing back and it was there first in house project and then made films for each hero and put them all together which could have backfired dramatically if not done well. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Hahaha everyone forgets mr archer.

Yes, but is much more easy develop 5 characters than 17. The avengers is a great movie but X-men is much more hard developing.

X-men

Posted Image

Avengers

Posted Image

Lets be honest in the X-men series many of the heros are simply cameo roles. 

Lets be honest in the X-men series many of the heros are simply cameo roles. 

Can't have 17 main characters can you.

As I have said earlier, in DOFP the main characters got their own big role.

Edited by Skybreaker™