John Marston

X-Men: Days of Future Past OS thread

The writing and the performances in DoFP is just simply better than The Avengers, much better. Spectacle doesn't mean anything without that. Look at Man of Steel, it had even more mayhem and spectacle than The Avengers and that didn't keep it from being such a lifeless movie. Also, with DoFP, it was really nice not seeing the same tired visuals of a giant action scene in/over an entire city in the 3rd act of a huge superhero movie.... the perfectly paced rotating back and forth between 1973 and the future during the 3rd act of DOFP was way more thrilling than that tired cliche. Also, another thing that separates DoFP from The Avengers is that its got dramatic heft to it, The Avengers is basically just a comedy.

I actually liked the first half of xmen Dofp more than the 2nd half. Don't get me started on man of steel. That was a mindless action film with no emotional connection. Performances were better in The Avengers, way the characters bounced off each other was incredible. I liked Dofp a bunch, but the avengers is better. Such a unique movie that's never been done before.
  • Like 2

I have never had more fun watching a movie than I did with the avengers. Crowd was just so great. Being in IMAX helped a lot too. Remember the line hooking back around the building to see the movie. Crowd helped add to the viewing experience.

• Like 2

I have never had more fun watching a movie than I did with the avengers. Crowd was just so great. Being in IMAX helped a lot too. Remember the line hooking back around the building to see the movie. Crowd helped add to the viewing experience.

My experience watching Avengers in movie theaters was so-so, I was sick and very excited to see. 

Result: I coughed almost whole movie.

Still, is a great movie.

I actually liked the first half of xmen Dofp more than the 2nd half. Don't get me started on man of steel. That was a mindless action film with no emotional connection. Performances were better in The Avengers, way the characters bounced off each other was incredible. I liked Dofp a bunch, but the avengers is better. Such a unique movie that's never been done before.

You have to admit that DOFP is a much smarter movie than Avengers

Spectacle can only go so far. Having great special effects don't mean that much if the film doesn't have great cinematography. The Avengers' visual style was utterly bland. 

In terms of heart and story, then there's absolutely no question that it goes to DoFP. The story was captivating and the plot was genuinely interesting, and you could feel the turmoil the characters were going through. I loved it. I've never been a fan of X-Men, so I was gobsmacked at how emotional some of the scenes were. 

No one said that The Avengers was easy to make. It took a lot of skill to pull that film off, but that doesn't mean someone should ignore the obviously thin story masked by charismatic banter and tons of action. I didn't feel for any of them in Avengers (aside from one little point when Iron Man took the missile or whatever into the vortex). 

• Like 4

From Boxoffice.com: 

X-Men: Days of Future Past reeled in another $11.3 million from 47 markets, including Venezuela's $1.7 million first place debut (just 2 percent behind Iron Man 3). Holdover markets Brazil ($1.3m, down only 34%), and the UK ($981K, down only 35%) lift the international cume to an impressive $477.3m. The global total is now $694.3 million.

• Like 3

Spectacle can only go so far. Having great special effects don't mean that much if the film doesn't have great cinematography. The Avengers' visual style was utterly bland. 

In terms of heart and story, then there's absolutely no question that it goes to DoFP. The story was captivating and the plot was genuinely interesting, and you could feel the turmoil the characters were going through. I loved it. I've never been a fan of X-Men, so I was gobsmacked at how emotional some of the scenes were. 

No one said that The Avengers was easy to make. It took a lot of skill to pull that film off, but that doesn't mean someone should ignore the obviously thin story masked by charismatic banter and tons of action. I didn't feel for any of them in Avengers (aside from one little point when Iron Man took the missile or whatever into the vortex). 

I think you have to remember the action in TA was the highlite and its mixture was fun and comedy. It was something many recent blockbusters do not do well at all...

Either you have to much actions like TF or lifeless action like MOS.

Point is people may act about how story line trumps everything, but in terms of entertainment few scenes for audiences have amazed on a greater scale recently then Avengers Circle shot or Puny God? 

So Imo the comparison of the two films is pointless.

They are both great films which added a lot to the comic book movie genre. 

The debate should not be that DOFP is for smart fans and TA is for mindless fools. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

From Boxoffice.com: 

X-Men: Days of Future Past reeled in another $11.3 million from 47 markets, including Venezuela's $1.7 million first place debut (just 2 percent behind Iron Man 3). Holdover markets Brazil ($1.3m, down only 34%), and the UK ($981K, down only 35%) lift the international cume to an impressive $477.3m. The global total is now $694.3 million.

Nice Venezuela opening. Cap did 1.3m and ASM2 did 1.5m.

-39% OS weekend. Down 27 markets.

Edited by Skybreaker