Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

Lol I dont want to be like Vegeta and speak early..

However THG was already one of the biggest openings ever.

For CF to jump a lot from it required something special.

In Retrospect it appears TDKR even without tragic events would have not increased  much from TDK in tickets sold even with the 2nd coming of Christ hype.

Edited by Lordmandeep

That really doesn't tell us much, except that it's almost certainly not hitting 185-190 (and who thought it would actually do that?).

*raises hand slowly*

Well, I actually predicted 184 million, so I fall just outside your crazy zone

• Like 1

That really doesn't tell us much, except that it's almost certainly not hitting 185-190 (and who thought it would actually do that?).

I don't think they are talking about 185-190 million. A $45 million Friday will make even $160 million unlikely.

Edited by TLK

Damn I was close to 185m, lol. But that all changed last night watching the sell outs.

I wouldn't listen to Gitesh. Wasn't he quoting some really low numbers for IM3 early on Friday?

Amen. (Although to be fair, he just reports what he's told. If evening shows are strong, he'll say that (like what happened with IM3). 

He's just terrible with extrapolation.

• Like 1

The international estimate for 43 territories is already $32 million, counting the early grosses when it opened a week early in Brazil. Most major territories opened more than double that of the first film, according to Lionsgate. The film opens in 65 territories this weekend. http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

How many territories are in overseas markets? That's something that has always confused me.

The first one was a pop culture sensation to the point that "Hunger Games" is now used by politicians and shit.  I know tons and tons of people, including my dad and one of my older brothers who don't read these kinda books, who read the whole series after the first came out. It absolutely exploded the book series even further. In addition, the trailers and reviews were brilliant, JLaw has become a huge, huge star, and the book is the most beloved in the series by book fans. the 174 of IM3 should be a barometer with all those things going for it, coming off a 152 million first edition.