Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

JLaw was hardly a household name when THG blew-up. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 50% of the people who showed up on THG's opening weekend didn't even know who JLaw was at that time.

I am guessing after OW was were her talents boosted the movies boxoffice.

I am guessing after OW was were her talents boosted the movies boxoffice.

Probably but I am not a big believer in star power affecting the box office of blockbuster movies too much. Star power is important for mid-budget movies. This is why actors like Tom Cruise, Denzel, Sandler etc. can command $20 million salaries.

Probably but I am not a big believer in star power affecting the box office of blockbuster movies too much. Star power is important for mid-budget movies. This is why actors like Tom Cruise, Denzel, Sandler etc. can command $20 million salaries.

Will Smith says hi.

Will Smith says hi.

Will Smith is notorious for picking only movies that will be big hits without him. A younger Will Smith would've never done "After Earth" because a younger Will Smith didn't have a 13-14 year old son.

• Like 1

So, the winner is still Scream 2. :D

Below from previous post.. It was a case of revised actual reduced from 39/2 to 32.9

Rth, on 28 May 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:Posted Image

Thats because it was Scream 2 it was worse than just estimate it was reported actual  opening weekend at 39.2m it was about 3-4 days later (From memory Friday of the next weekend ) that a correction was made and reduced the number to 32.9, at the time you should have heard the uproar about it.

Edited by Rth
  • Like 2

Yeah Scream 2 it was like week later or close to that from memory they revised number, so they issued an actual then revised it.It wasn't a case of revised estimate to actual 

Also Fox's attempt to beat that record was quite brave!  :D

Edited by Batman

Question.

How exactly does number fudging work? This is the first weekend I've even heard of such a thing. Someone earlier mentioned they might've just "taken" a million or so from Ender's Game to make CF look bigger. What exactly does that mean? Do they just underestimate EG by a mill and overestimate CG by a mill? Or do they just pull believable numbers out of their ass and call it a day? I think I'm thinking too far into it.

Question.

How exactly does number fudging work? This is the first weekend I've even heard of such a thing. Someone earlier mentioned they might've just "taken" a million or so from Ender's Game to make CF look bigger. What exactly does that mean? Do they just underestimate EG by a mill and overestimate CG by a mill? Or do they just pull believable numbers out of their ass and call it a day? I think I'm thinking too far into it.

I have no proof of course, but the suspicion is they take money from another movie to get it over milestone number or to give it a nice round number.  However, they usually take from another movie that makes money and not one that is flopping, lol.

I have no proof of course, but the suspicion is they take money from another movie to get it over milestone number or to give it a nice round number.  However, they usually take from another movie that makes money and not one that is flopping, lol.

I see. But don't actuals come from the studio as well? If so, wouldn't it mean that any number they give us should be taken with a grain of salt?