lilmac

Weekend estimates: CF-$74.5; FRZ-$66.7; Thor2-$11.1

Yeah, what were the odds that he was really going to be a bad guy after all? Also, I guessed the twist for the real reason he and James hated each other so much after Sorcerer's Stone, Azkaban sealed it for me. It was so obvious what the death was going to be the in next to last book, because that type of character always dies at that point in a story, but you also knew that Snape was still going to turn out to be a "good" guy. Did people really think Book Seven was going to be all about how Snape was really evil the whole time and pulled the wool over Dumbledore's eyes? So the last two books were kind of lacking suspense for me.

To be fair, if you're a kid reading the series, it probably gobsmacked you.
  • Like 1

To be fair, if you're a kid reading the series, it probably gobsmacked you.

That's true but that makes it a kids' book, which is fine, but when people try to argue that Potter is so YA and dark and edgy and deep, I think, well, then, the plots and twists and the message have to hold up to better scrutiny than, "But it works for kids!" Order of the Phoenix is my favorite Potter book because it was the series moving into areas the little kid fans were just flat-out too young to understand, it showed the series really growing up and I felt HBP in a lot of ways was a retreat from that, which I found unfortunate.

Calling it now, Matthew Lewis (Neville) is going to be the next James Bond after Daniel Craig.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

That's true but that makes it a kids' book, which is fine, but when people try to argue that Potter is so YA and dark and edgy and deep, I think well, then, the plots and twists and the message have to hold up to better scrutiny than, "well, it works for kids!" Order of the Phoenix is my favorite Potter book because it was the series moving into areas the little kid fans were just flat-out too young to understand, it showed the series really growing up and I felt HBP in a lot of ways was a retreat from that, which I found unfortunate.

To be honest, I had more of a casual interest at best with the series. Only reason I finished them was a bet with a friend. For better or worse, my favorite YA material is the stuff I grew up with: Robert Louis Stevenson, Madeleine L'Engle, C.S. Lewis, Susan Cooper, Heinlein, Lloyd Alexander, E.B. White, Marguerite Henry, etc. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1