baumer

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

102 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The only problem is that between the Smaug attack and the events surrounding Gandalf arriving at Erebor Jackson will have to invent a fair amount of filler to deal with all the politics and tensions to keep audiences from missing Bilbo, Thorin, etc.

Ironically enough, there's a good bit of that already in the book. However, knowing PJ, he ain't gonna waste time with a bunch of bickering and councils. (Plus there's already a good bit of politics that are introduced in DOS that could continue to pay off early in TABA).

Pros: Superior to Hobbit I.  I really enjoyed Tauriel, the newest addition to the Tolkien universe.  The romance between her and Kili was done very well and quite effective.  

By this time around, I was more accepting of the comedic scenes with the Dwarves as they bumble around and just happen to land in the right place (or barrel) at the right time.  I enjoyed this movie alot more because I didn't take it as seriously.  This is not the LOTR trilogy.  I'm ok with that. 

I always enjoy it when the Istari show off their power and Mithrandir (gandalf) did not disappoint.  We got to see new staff powers (proximity repellent, flash w/ teleportation, force field) and more of the old (small explosions used to dislodge rocks).  

The tension when Bilbo first encountered a sleeping Smaug.  

Cons: the CGI was at times horrible, especially during the barrel chase.  No better than the LOTR trilogy.  ILM remains the top FX shop and this was a reminder that WETA lags behind.  

Beorn's scenes were underwhelming, seemed like filler.  Same for some of the Laketown scenes.  Should have been on the cutting floor or in the extended editions.

I hate cliffhangers where I have to wait an entire year.  

Overall I give it an A.

• Like 1

I thought it was much better than The Hobbit: AUJ!

Martin Freeman was great as Bilbo once again and Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job as Smaug!

The barrel scene was fantastic! It was like watching a roller coaster! Everything about that scene was greatness as it was just pure fun to watch!

Also, everything with Smaug was great! The whole end of the movie was great to watch!

With that said, my favorite shot in the movie was when Bilbo climbed up the tree and looked to see where they were. The scenery was beautiful! I loved the way that scene was framed!

Oh, and the movie opening with Peter Jackson eating a carrot cused me to start the movie with a burst of laughter. :lol:

I would give the movie A-/B+ leaning more towards A-.

^_^

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

I hate cliffhangers where I have to wait an entire year.

That's interesting about the cliffhanger. Tele brought it up and I want to touch on that a little. I guess I don't understand how someone could be upset at a cliffhanger in a movie like this. Pretty much everyone knows it's the second movie in a trilogy. You already knew you would have to wait another year for the next one anyway, so what's the big deal?If this were something original and we didn't know if there was even going to be another film much less when it would get made? I would be upset at that too.
  • Like 4

That's interesting about the cliffhanger. Tele brought it up and I want to touch on that a little.I guess I don't understand how someone could be upset at a cliffhanger in a movie like this. Pretty much everyone knows it's the second movie in a trilogy. You already knew you would have to wait another year for the next one anyway, so what's the big deal?If this were something original and we didn't know if there was even going to be another film much less when it would get made? I would be upset at that too.

Just because I understand the rationale and even knew it was coming, doesn't make waiting any easier.

• Like 1

Same for some of the Laketown scenes.  Should have been on the cutting floor or in the extended editions.

I read all other complaints before in other reviews but this is the first time i see some of the Laketown scenes as being unnecesary :o

Ironically enough, there's a good bit of that already in the book. However, knowing PJ, he ain't gonna waste time with a bunch of bickering and councils. (Plus there's already a good bit of politics that are introduced in DOS that could continue to pay off early in TABA).

True. I was onboard 100% with the two film plan. Three films just has me a bit wary of a bit too much filler (even if Tolkien's writing style for The Hobbit justifies elongating and elaborating a fair bit).

Did anyone else here see PATRIOT GAMES in theaters? It ended on a totally hilarious (and inconsequential) mini-cliffhanger. It was great.

Not in theaters (too young) but it's such a silly cliffhanger that it's endearing because you really feel for the Jack/Cathy/Sally trio by the end of the film.

• Like 1

True. I was onboard 100% with the two film plan. Three films just has me a bit wary of a bit too much filler (even if Tolkien's writing style for The Hobbit justifies elongating and elaborating a fair bit).

Oh, they're way overfilled. I've made my peace with that. Just take me on a fun ride.

Well, the movie was great... but then Smaug showed up.

The Peter Jackson cameo was pretty fun, and the whole movie was very great until the moment Smaug woke up. From there, it's all down hill. I found Smaug to be very disappointing - he didn't look all that terrifying, the fact that he had those lame lines also didn't help him either. Good voice, on the other hand. Cumberbatch really fits that role, just for the voice, that is.

The ending was quite sudden and disappointing, just because it was so out of place. I can already see how the next movie will start "Last time on The Hobbit" and then we continue with Smaug flying towards the city.

Anyway, I am disappointed.

B-

• Like 1

One thing I agree with a lot of commenters on is that we needed at least one villain killed off.

I thought Bolg would bite it at the very least since Azog is clearly going to be Thorin's kill in the 3rd movie - it just makes logical sense. And I felt Bolg was just introduced so that the viewers feel some closure. 

That ending... talk about pulling the plug. The way the film stops - not ends just stops - right when Smaug is about to attack Laketown I don't think is going to go over well with many people. At first I thought the projector broke down or something, until the credits popped up and at that point you can hear the whole crowd moaning and feeling jibbed. Bad move Jackson, bad move.

Other than that, it's pretty good. Smaug was the highlight.

Edited by Half-baked C00k13
  • Like 1