baumer

Europa Report (2013)

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Very impressive sci-fi flick. Even with the small budget, film looks very sharp visually and has a great story centered on the age-old question of are we alone in the universe.Recommended to all fans of the genre, holds up very well to a film like Gravity despite receiving a tenth of the accolades and hype. A shame.B+/B

Good, not great. Nothing new in terms of plot. Doesn't successfully build tension the way it should. But it is still competently made, looks nice, and Europa is an interesting moon (probably my favorite moon in the solar system, although I do have a soft spot for Phobos and Deimos). We need more Europa missions!

I give it B-/C+, and recommend it to people who prefer intimate/story-based over action-oriented sci-fi.

Edited by The Stingray

For any people who know their space science:When James and Andrei are trying to get back in the airlock, Andrei wants to take James out of the spacesuit while in space and then enter the airlock, saying that it would only take a couple minutes and be survivable. For a movie that seems to take pretty good sense of its science, is this accurate? Because I thought that as a vacuum the mix of no pressure and no heat in space would kill any exposed living thing pretty darn quickly.

For any people who know their space science:When James and Andrei are trying to get back in the airlock, Andrei wants to take James out of the spacesuit while in space and then enter the airlock, saying that it would only take a couple minutes and be survivable. For a movie that seems to take pretty good sense of its science, is this accurate? Because I thought that as a vacuum the mix of no pressure and no heat in space would kill any exposed living thing pretty darn quickly.

A couple of minutes might be pushing it, but probably upwards of a minute to 90 seconds, and maybe longer if you were in a vacuum but not space itself. Being frozen would take longer than you'd expect because heat leaves the body very slowly in a vacuum.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question540.htm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/08/can_you_survive_in_space_without_a_spacesuit.html

Edited by Telemachos