16 members have voted

1. 1. City of God

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I remember when I first saw this I was simply blown away. Taking us into the crime world of Rio De Janeiro it belongs up there with the great crime films, like the Godfather, Goodfellas, Mean Streets, etc. It's an epic film that spins three decades. It's got great performances from mostly non actors. It's brutal and violent and very harrowing. And the ending of this movie is scarier than anything I've seen in a horror movie. If you haven't seen it please do. A+

• Like 1

i had same reaction when i first saw it subtitled in french, i was blown away, but mostly deeply upset at how real a depiction of life it was for those kids , think it was first brazilian movie i saw!it was very uncomfortable to watch the violence of it, you can't help but think at how cosy your life is , even if you think it ain't all that, there are people poorer than you and not only financially ! some movies when you watch them or documentaries i wonder if we're all truly living on the same planet that situations can be so extremely different from one corner to another!

• Like 1

We just watched this in my film class today; such a treat! I knew City of God was on a lot of Top Movies lists from the last decade, but finally I can see why. Everything about the film--the cinematography, the music, the acting, the violence--felt authentic and real, which I suppose adds to the "horror" of it.

A+

• Like 1