Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

That's huge, but what about Django and Les M, you can compare their drops. 

Different days.  They opened on Christmas Day.  This is a full week before.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

The only movies to compare it to in terms of release date is maybe King Kong.  It opened on a Wednesday and grossed 9 mill.  If you take the same kind of trajectory, then it will do:

Wed:  10

Thurs:  6.5

Friday:  14.3

Sat:  19.3

Sun:  15.0

5 day:  65 mill

Or Meet the Fockers (which did $12.1m on Wednesday, Dec. 22). Christmas Eve and Christmas break the comparison up somewhat, but that went on to do $46m for the 3-day and $70.5m for the 5-day. I think Anchorman 2 gets close to that 5-day total, but higher for the 3-day.

Or Meet the Fockers (which did $12.1m on Wednesday, Dec. 22). Christmas Eve and Christmas break the comparison up somewhat, but that went on to do $46m for the 3-day and $70.5m for the 5-day. I think Anchorman 2 gets close to that 5-day total, but higher for the 3-day.

I looked at Fockers but opening on the 22nd skews things because Christmas Eve is terrible for movies and CD is huge.  So the only movies I could compare it to were the original LOTR (but that is a full decade ago, and times have changed) and King Kong.

• Like 2

The only movies to compare it to in terms of release date is maybe King Kong.  It opened on a Wednesday and grossed 9 mill.  If you take the same kind of trajectory, then it will do:

Wed:  10

Thurs:  6.5

Friday:  14.3

Sat:  19.3

Sun:  15.0

5 day:  65 mill

Ron Burgundy compared to King Kong????

Posted Image

Posted Image

OK, I can go with that.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I looked at Fockers but opening on the 22nd skews things because Christmas Eve is terrible for movies and CD is huge.  So the only movies I could compare it to were the original LOTR (but that is a full decade ago, and times have changed) and King Kong.

I agree, I'm just saying that I think those things are skewed in the downward direction since Christmas Eve is so strongly deflated. That alone would give a good baseline for Anchorman 2, balanced out by the fact that the 25th and 26th were so strong.

Typing on the go, so sorry if that doesn't make a lick of sense. :lol:

• Like 1

Ron Burgundy compared to King Kong????

Posted Image

Posted Image

OK, I can go with that.

It's the day it came out, not the genre.  

A movie about an anchorman in the 80's?  That's absurd.  That'll never work.

I agree, I'm just saying that I think those things are skewed in the downward direction since Christmas Eve is so strongly deflated. That alone would give a good baseline for Anchorman 2, balanced out by the fact that the 25th and 26th were so strong.

Typing on the go, so sorry if that doesn't make a lick of sense. :lol:

Yea it does.  The funny thing is there really isn't another film that Anchorman 2 can be compared to 100%.  So I just went with the same day opening.  :)

• Like 1

But what else can we go by?

You can't. It is an entirely new situation, IMO. Kong opened in the time where movies weren't very frontloaded.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

Yes, baumer and I also fought dinosaurs back in the day. :P

Yes, AA and I both discovered San Diego together in 1904, which in German of course means, a whale's vagina.

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 3

By the way, I saw it today.  The movie is funny, until the last 20 minutes and then its ridiculously, gut burstingly funny.

My wife and I may have to see this over DOS on Christmas.

@ShawnMR: Not in the face! Not in the face!

Posted Image

• Like 2