Kill Bill: Vol. 1

23 members have voted

1. 1. Kill Bill: Vol. 1

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I actually like Vol. 2 better, because it gives its full attention to the characters and is beautifully paced like a Leone spaghetti western (specifically Once Upon a Time in the West), but Vol. 1 is one of the most gorgeous, exhilarating and purely cinematic movies I've ever seen. It would get me excited like a little kid even on the 100th viewing. 

What characters?

I didn't find it bad (see my review in vol.2) but there were no characters there at all except some cardbord cartoon cool guys and gals.

I can only guess we watched very different movies. I could give you Elle Driver, but there are whole sections devoted specifically to very carefully fleshing out Beatrix, Bill and Budd. The whole opening chapter, the whole ending from when Beatrix finally confronts Bill, Budd's conversations with his boss and later with Elle, and some smaller scenes as well. All three are some of the most layered, interesting and human characters Tarantino ever created. Himself, Thurman and Carradine were all robbed of Oscar noms.

• Like 1

I can only guess we watched very different movies. I could give you Elle Driver, but there are whole sections devoted specifically to very carefully fleshing out Beatrix, Bill and Budd. The whole opening chapter, the whole ending from when Beatrix finally confronts Bill, Budd's conversations with his boss and later with Elle, and some smaller scenes as well. All three are some of the most layered, interesting and human characters Tarantino ever created. Himself, Thurman and Carradine were all robbed of Oscar noms.

My god, you're insane. :D

It seems Vol. 2 is even more underappreciated than I thought. Personally, as much as I enjoyed Vol. 1, all my doubts about whether or not Vol. 2 would measure up to it went right out the window as soon as Bill's introduction and his conversation with Beatrix ended with those terrifying sounds of gunfire. I sat there and could barely breathe. Right out of the gate, Vol. 2 was just at another level.

• Like 1

It seems Vol. 2 is even more underappreciated than I thought. Personally, as much as I enjoyed Vol. 1, all my doubts about whether or not Vol. 2 would measure up to it went right out the window as soon as Bill's introduction and his conversation with Beatrix ended with those terrifying sounds of gunfire. I sat there and could barely breathe. Right out of the gate, Vol. 2 was just at another level.

Vol. 2 is in my top 5 all time

It falls short of being a great movie mostly due to Tarantino excesses. Super disappointing since the first half and the ending fills me with joy and awe. We certainly didn't need that anime segment and the final setpiece was incredibly overlong, personally I would have cut the entire b&w sequence.

75/100