luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors (closed now)

Im sure the likes of Cameron and Nolan deserve to be higher on the list than these?? or even on the list. How could anyone claim Kenneth Branagh to be better when all he really has under his belt is Thor and Jack Ryan?? lol. Sam Mendes basically copied Nolans work on Skyfall, but nah he's better :rolleyes:

Oh no. I made a very conscious decision to leave them off.
  • Like 2

Its funny that old directors seem to get more praise on this site than newer directors, even if they aren't actually better.

With regard to the lists, a big part of it is that older directors have simply had more time to direct more great films than newer directors.  In my own case, I also just gravitate more towards older films and directors (especially 1940s through 1970s fare), as opposed to newer films/directors.

Edited by JarJarBinks

With regard to the lists, a big part of it is that older directors have simply had more time to direct more great films than newer directors. In my own case, I also just gravitate more towards older films and directors (especially 1940s through 1970s fare), as opposed to newer films/directors.

Also this is a list of greatest, not favourite so I also considered historical impact and etc.in addition to personal preference.
  • Like 1

Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay way above David Fincher and Stanley Kubrick?

Posted Image

Sure.  I can see it.  Roland Emmerich has made some of the best fun films and there's a lot of skill that goes into that.  Your opinion might differ but it's not out of the realm.

I left Nolan off my list on purpose.

I'm sick of this Nolan worshipping as much as the next guy but to leave him off the list because of that is silly. He's made a big enough impact to earn a spot in the top 100 and his work has influenced many other successes whether we like it or not.
  • Like 2

Sure.  I can see it.  Roland Emmerich has made some of the best fun films and there's a lot of skill that goes into that.  Your opinion might differ but it's not out of the realm.

Yeah Independence Day is a classic perfect slice of entertainment, people forget it was the second highest grossing movie of all time upon release. It basically started the craze of big budget destruction and people were impressed at the time. The white house being destroyed is arguably up there with as of the most iconic movie shots of all time.TDAT and 2012 may not be all that but they certainly raised the bar for inventive destruction and the Los Angeles earthquake in 2012 is probably the craziest destructive set piece put to screen imo. Nothing like that had been done before, and you have to have an amazing imagination to think that up.
  • Like 1