luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors (closed now)

Baumer, you have Michael Bay in your top 10. You're really not in a position to be throwing stones here....

Also, you listed John Carpenter twice. The guy is admittedly awesome, but you may want to fix that.

Michael Bay has a body of work that goes back 20 years.  I am in a much better position to have that opinion since he at least has a resume that consists of more than 2 films.

And I'm still fixing my list.

To be on a list of the best of all time, shouldn't body of work be considered?  

Body of work is being considered. Moon and Source Code is Duncan Jones's body of work. Johnny considers that a strong enough body work to put Jones on a list of best directors.

I mean, I thought A Bronx Tale was one of the best films of 1993 but I wouldn't consider DeNiro one of the best of all time.

Okay. Good for you. 

Michael Bay has a body of work that goes back 20 years.  I am in a much better position to have that opinion since he at least has a resume that consists of more than 2 films.

A crap body of work is still a crap body of work no matter how many years it goes back. A good body of work consisting of two films is still a good body of work.

• Like 1

Body of work is being considered. Moon and Source Code is Duncan Jones's body of work. Johnny considers that a strong enough body work to put Jones on a list of best directors.

Okay. Good for you. 

A crap body of work is still a crap body of work no matter how many years it goes back. A good body of work consisting of two films is still a good body of work.

Most Bay films are better than most directors.  Armageddon, The Rock, Bad Boys, Transformers puts him at the top of my list.  Not my problem if you disagree with that.

Most Bay films are better than most directors.  Armageddon, The Rock, Bad Boys, Transformers puts him at the top of my list.  Not my problem if you disagree with that.

And obviously Johnny considers all of Jones's films to be better than most directors. Not his problem if you disagree with that.

And obviously Johnny considers all of Jones's films to be better than most directors. Not his problem if you disagree with that.

What films?

Exactly.

I can only assume you're trying to imply that Source Code and Moon aren't real films. Which is already stupid on many levels without me having to point it out. Not least of which because you're simultaneously defending Michael Bay. I struggle to think of a single definition of the word 'film' where Source Code and Moon don't fit yet Michael Bay's filmography does. Not even 'steaming pile of crap', because I actually rather liked the Rock.

MY OFFICIAL LIST

1. Christopher Nolan

2. Quentin Tarantino

3. Martin Scorsese

4. J.J. Abrams

5. Ridley Scott

6. James Cameron

7. The Coens

8. Sam Mendes

9. George Lucas

10. Francis Ford Coppola

11. Alfred Hitchcock

12. Brian De Palma

13. Wes Craven

14. Clint Eastwood

15. Roman Polanksi

16. Steven Spielberg

17. Brad Bird

18. Alfonso Cuaron

19. John Carpenter

20. Tim Burton

21.Sam Mendes

22. Peter Jackson

23. Guillermo del Toro

24. Wes Anderson

25. Spike Lee

26. The Wachowskis 

27. Kathryn Bigelow

28. Sam Raimi

29. John Woo

30. David O. Russell

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

I can only assume you're trying to imply that Source Code and Moon aren't real films. Which is already stupid on many levels without me having to point it out. Not least of which because you're simultaneously defending Michael Bay. I struggle to think of a single definition of the word 'film' where Source Code and Moon don't fit yet Michael Bay's filmography does. Not even 'steaming pile of crap', because I actually rather liked the Rock.

No, I'm not saying that at all.  I'm saying that to be on an all time list above some of the greats, you should have more than 2 films under your belt.  Jones may well be one of the greatest directors of all time, but I don't think he's proven it yet.  That's all.

• Like 1

No, I'm not saying that at all.  I'm saying that to be on an all time list above some of the greats, you should have more than 2 films under your belt.  Jones may well be one of the greatest directors of all time, but I don't think he's proven it yet.  That's all.

I refer you to my Harper Lee post.

If one director made 10 films all of which were consider good not great and another director made 2 films which were considered absolute masterpieces, who would you consider the better director? There are reasonable arguments for both, so you can't just claim the latter to automatically be void as a great director. If the same guy had directed Casablanca and 12 Angry Men, I'd consider him one of the greatest directors of all time even if those two were the only films he directed. To compare it to a different medium, are you saying that someone like Harper Lee (who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird) doesn't deserve to be on a list of Greatest Writers simply because that's the only book she ever wrote?

To be on a list of the best of all time, shouldn't body of work be considered?  I mean, I thought A Bronx Tale was one of the best films of 1993 but I wouldn't consider DeNiro one of the best of all time.

Have you seen The Good Shepherd?De Niro kills it. A slow burn but one of the best of 2006.
  • Like 1

Michael Bay can do more with a 200m budget than most directors could do with 400m, that makes him a good director. So what if the scripts suck, a great script doesn't make a director any better or worse. Duncan Jones is still a baby in the film making world, hopefully his day will come but as of now, Source Code and Moon are just appetizers.

And I'm still fixing my list.

Lets not forget the that Spielberg, Cameron and even Nolan have said on numerous occasions how they are huge Bay fans and even Cameron has admitted to studying the way he films his action scenes in the hope of learning a thing or 2. Even the great directors of our time agree with you Baumer ;)

• Like 2

Mine.

1. Scorsese
2. Spielberg
3. Tarantino
4. James Cameron
5. David Fincher
6. Stanley Kubrick
7. Coen brothers
8. Francis Ford Coppola
9. Sergio Leone
10. David Lynch