Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

The LOTR trilogy might be more critically acclaimed but it's not more iconic, influential or beloved. So saying it's the best isn't looking at the full picture.

If you like the whole fantasy RPG thing then yeah LOTR is the best but plenty of us would pick Star Wars, Back to the Future, or Indiana Jones if we could only watch one trilogy for the rest of our lives. I doubt most critics who rank LOTR so high would pick LOTR to watch endlessly. Or if they did I'm betting they'd regret it. :ph34r:

And the IMDB top 250 is anything but objective. Interstellar and Inception are way above Raiders of the Lost Ark.

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The LOTR trilogy might be more critically acclaimed but it's not more iconic, influential or beloved. So saying it's the best isn't looking at the full picture.

If you like the whole fantasy RPG thing then yeah LOTR is the best but plenty of us would pick Star Wars, Back to the Future, or Indiana Jones if we could only watch one trilogy for the rest of our lives. I doubt most critics who rank LOTR so high would pick LOTR to watch endlessly. Or if they did I'm betting they'd regret it. :ph34r:

And the IMDB top 250 is anything but objective. Interstellar and Inception are way above Raiders of the Lost Ark.

There is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to movie quality. One man's trash is another man's treasure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to movie quality. One man's trash is another man's treasure. 

You can objectively use acclaim, industry influence, pop culture impact and technical achievement to do a quality ranking theoretically. These things are quantifiable to a degree which is better than saying Interstellar is highly superior to Raiders which is completely baseless.

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

You can objectively use acclaim, industry influence, pop culture impact and technical achievement to do a quality ranking theoretically. These things are quantifiable to a degree which is better than saying Interstellar is highly superior to Raiders which is completely baseless.

Ultimately it is still opinion though. Just go look at Baumer's advocacy for Transformers over a bunch of other stuff in the market. I dislike Transformers, but I respect his passion for it. I wouldn't rate Raiders or Interstellar above something like Wizard of Oz, but we know there are a bunch of people on the Internet who hold that view. Such is the way of life, haha. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

"fantasy RPG thing" lol

LOTR - if not already - will join the ranks of Star Wars and Co as one of the most iconic, beloved trilogies.

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Ultimately it is still opinion though. Just go look at Baumer's advocacy for Transformers over a bunch of other stuff in the market. I dislike Transformers, but I respect his passion for it. I wouldn't rate Raiders or Interstellar above something like Wizard of Oz, but we know there are a bunch of people on the Internet who hold that view. Such is the way of life, haha. 

Well there's a difference between favorite and best.

Superhero movies are my favorite but I fully acknowledge there are plenty examples of better filmmaking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well there's a difference between favorite and best.

Superhero movies are my favorite but I fully acknowledge there are plenty examples of better filmmaking.

I agree. But even within the same genre, critical consensus does not mean there is an objective answer on anything. No matter how many times people try to say TDK is better than Batman Begins, I will disagree every damn time. Hell, TDK ain't better than the Burton movies either in my opinion. So that's what I'm saying here...ultimately it's all just opinion. 

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I agree. But even within the same genre, critical consensus does not mean there is an objective answer on anything. No matter how many times people try to say TDK is better than Batman Begins, I will disagree every damn time. Hell, TDK ain't better than the Burton movies either in my opinion. So that's what I'm saying here...ultimately it's all just opinion. 

I'm not sayng there's a way to be completely objective about what is better. I'm just saying there are quantifiable ways to determine which movie has more critical acclaim, technical achievement awards, cinematic influence, etc. that can show a movie is well made or well executed. It just depends on what you mean by "better".

If you mean entertainment value then it's much more personal and highly subjective which is why I would file this measurement under "favorite".

23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Doesn't the embargo drop in like 8 minutes?

Studio must be very confident. They could shift gears on what seems to be tepid marketing so far. The final trailer was great though.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Studio must be very confident. They could shift gears on what seems to be tepid marketing so far. The final trailer was great though.

And they were right to be confident. The embargo has dropped and it's damn glowing.