Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

Finally saw this and while its a great film, I'm not in the least surprised that it underperformed. It's kinda depressing and bleak for most of the film, without much action. Also, the middle of July was definitely the wrong time to release this. 

I think even the studio probably saw a decrease in gross coming since they lowered the budget from Dawn. The first one had the cute baby ape plus many human characters, the second one had more action and an ape commandeering a tank, this one was like a slow drama starring mostly apes.

44 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Finally saw this and while its a great film, I'm not in the least surprised that it underperformed. It's kinda depressing and bleak for most of the film, without much action. Also, the middle of July was definitely the wrong time to release this. 

I think even the studio probably saw a decrease in gross coming since they lowered the budget from Dawn. The first one had the cute baby ape plus many human characters, the second one had more action and an ape commandeering a tank, this one was like a slow drama starring mostly apes.

I agree, but seeing what Blade Runner is doing with a similar bleak and slow-burn pace....Apes did pretty well in comparison.

On 3/10/2017 at 6:11 AM, a2knet said:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $146,458,374    30.4%
Foreign:  $335,123,427    69.6%

= Worldwide:  $481,581,801  

Around 490m ww with Japan

Nice result overall then. Much less than Dawn, but on par with Rise. I was expecting much worse before the China numbers. It remains a solid franchise for Fox.

20 minutes ago, The47th said:

Nice result overall then. Much less than Dawn, but on par with Rise. I was expecting much worse before the China numbers. It remains a solid franchise for Fox.

yeah. they reduced the budget to 152 from 170+ of dawn so must have sensed something.

[and should do closer to 495 vs 490. i thought china run will end at 109-110, but ~113 is looking good. like with potc5's 795 will fall 5 odd short of it's milestone]

Edited by a2knet

Dawn had a nice $235,329,191 gross budget.

I wonder why they reduced it that much (if those rumors are true), it did hurt the movie quite a bit and is box office performance imo.

Maybe knowing that they would not have a next one in that storyline, they decided to milk it, a deal between the director to told that more grim story when at that price point.

But yes if those around 150m net number are true, that ended up being once again a really nice success for that franchise with that 490m WW bo performance.

I've actually been thinking about this movie again recently and while it was OK I think it was actually unnecessary.

The first one was the origin story, which makes perfect sense, and the follow up was the movie that showed the aftermath, again quite logical, but there was really no need for another aftermath story.

Personally, after the 2nd one I wanted the next one to be set well into the future, when the "missing" spacecraft reappears.

5 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

OK I think it was actually unnecessary.

I also think 2 and 3 could have been in one movie, or at least (maybe not realistic) but felt that way, first movie apes become intelligent war start, second movie the war and the resolve.

3 movie for that seem like one too many, hard to distinguish 2 and 3.

10 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Personally, after the 2nd one I wanted the next one to be set well into the future, when the "missing" spacecraft reappears.

I guarantee this is what the next film will be. Obviously they're saying War is the final of the trilogy. The next will be a new trilogy starting when the spaceship reappears. 

Rise, Dawn and War is Caesars story. 

Edited by Cookson

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

I guarantee this is what the next film will be. Obviously they're saying War is the final of the trilogy. The next will be a new trilogy starting when the spaceship reappears. 

Oh, I'm sure that when/if the next Apes movie is made that is what it will be, I just think that it should have been the 3rd movie rather than the 4th.:mellow:

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Dawn had a nice $235,329,191 gross budget.

I wonder why they reduced it that much (if those rumors are true), it did hurt the movie quite a bit and is box office performance imo.

Maybe knowing that they would not have a next one in that storyline, they decided to milk it, a deal between the director to told that more grim story when at that price point.

But yes if those around 150m net number are true, that ended up being once again a really nice success for that franchise with that 490m WW bo performance.

It sounds like Reeves just wanted something different and the studio let him do it cause he is such a valuable creative asset. And yeah, it's the end of Caesar's trilogy and they've put a lot of care into that character so they probably just wanted to give him a fitting conclusion (although his story in this one is so grim and depressing).

At least it's not as bad as Star Trek Beyond's floppage, which was bizarre considering that film had all the trappings of a crowdpleasing action blockbuster but still failed to garner much of an audience. IMO, there are a lot of parallels between the Apes and Star Trek reboot franchises (old ass franchises that got a new life with a surprise hit reboot, overall well-reviewed trilogies) - considering how much less commercial the last two Apes films are, it did quite well when it could've easily gone the Star Trek route. 

2 hours ago, Cookson said:

It's at 485. It's not impossible for it to hit 500 ww. If Japan can give it a good run it's in the cards.

Dawn did 12m+ in Japan.

Now owing to China's growing economy, I think it's the only major market where War grew from Dawn, that too just 5-6% (113+ vs 107+)

So I don't think War can have the 20% growth in Japan it needs for 15m there and 500m ww.