Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

I kind of want Lone Survivor to take home one of the sound cats, it should of been nominated for editing and screenplay as well IMO.

(On another note-back in the 1980s they use to nominate some action films like "Die Hard" and Robocop" for best editing. Can you imagine films like those being nominated now fro best film editing?)

Well my friend who is a member of the Academy wont say what he voted for-but he did say Gravity was his favorite of the noms!

This is the thing. I feel like 12YAS will win because it's the important issues movie, but the vast majority of the people I've talked to have Gravity higher than 12YAS. And I'm still thinking Philomena for AS. I have a good feeling about this one and a lot of people have voted for it.
  • Like 2

And I'm still thinking Philomena for AS. I have a good feeling about this one and a lot of people have voted for it.

i've been thinking about this as a strong possibility too. maybe only because i want to see slave win best picture and nothing else.

That's the only thing I'm really rooting for. Plus, Happy winning Song. Other than that, I'm just gonna enjoy the show.

yesss. happy is my favourite of the nominees, but i don't think it'll win. i'd be fine with anything except u2 though.

• Like 1

i've been thinking about this as a strong possibility too. maybe only because i want to see slave win best picture and nothing else.

Yeah. 12YAS pulling a grand hotel would be something to see; though I loved Gravity much more. And for Philomena I think that it also has the advantage of dealing with all so important issues; and anti-catholicism is like #2 on the academy's orgasm list after the Holocaust. It's also an infinitely easier watch and is emotionally moving; whereas 12YAS is not so much.

• Founder / Operator

Predictions

BEST PICTURE: 12 Years a Slave
BEST DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
BEST ACTOR: Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
BEST ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Spike Jonze, Her
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Lupita N'yongo, 12 Years a Slave
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmanuel Lubezki, Gravity
BEST EDITING: Gravity
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Her
BEST SOUND MIXING: Gravity
BEST SOUND EDITING: Gravity
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Gravity
BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING: Dallas Buyers Club
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Great Gatsby
BEST COSTUME DESIGN: The Great Gatsby
BEST ORIGINAL SONG: "Let It Go", Frozen
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Frozen
BEST FOREIGN FILM: The Great Beauty
BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: The Voorman Problem
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life
BEST ANIMATED SHORT: Get a Horse

Most likely alternates and/or upsets (IMO):

Ejiofor for ACTOR

Gravity for PICTURE

American Hustle for COSTUME DESIGN

Steven Price, Gravity for SCORE

American Hustle for ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Edited by ShawnMR

I kind of want Lone Survivor to take home one of the sound cats, it should of been nominated for editing and screenplay as well IMO.(On another note-back in the 1980s they use to nominate some action films like "Die Hard" and Robocop" for best editing. Can you imagine films like those being nominated now fro best film editing?)

Well Bourne Ultimatum got nommed and won in 2007.

There's another Brutally Honest Ballot up, where the member admits not seeing 12YS because she didn't want to deal with it. I think GRAVITY's gonna win.

Not surprised. I know I had to convince one of the people I know in the Academy to see it and it took a lot of convincing. And even then he only watched the firstand just turned it off.And yet another Philomena vote. I feel like voters not seeing 12YAS will also help Philomena in screenplay. But LA GRANDE BELLEZZA? WHY??????????? It's by far the best movje. Of the year.... Edited by riczhang