Y Tu Mama Tambien

10 members have voted

1. 1. Y Tu Mama Tambien

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I watched this the other night and I'm still not really sure how I feel about it. I think sometimes, as Americans (or native English speakers in general), that we have a romanticized perspective of ANY film that is in a foreign langauge- which makes us think maybe it's better than if it had been shot in English. I enjoyed Y Tu Mamá, it was a solid and sexy road trip story about growing up, growing apart, dealing with death and a little politics, but I'm not sure if it's quite the masterpiece that the reviews and "best of" lists make it out to be.

If it was an American film, how would those fart jokes have been received? And that god awful narration, I found it so jarring and at times it took me right out of the film. So maybe somebody else can explain to me what was so profound about it? I'm not trashing on the movie, I do think it was good and it had something to say, but its legacy as one of the best of all time is perplexing to me.

7.0/10

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

i'm in love with gael garcia bernal, in love with his acting!! movie is a classic , its been a yr since i last watched it , so i'll rewatch it again and give a better reviewhe's also great in "el crimen del padre amaro" "amores perros" "mala educacion"uneasy is the word that comes to mind whenever i think about spanish movies from , lots of nudity women and men are treated equally, it can be a bit jarring at first if you're not usually exposed to that, its a different school of thought and approach to film-making that's for sure

i didn't like the narration much of the time, and that's the biggest reason it isn't a great movie. but it is still very good, and gets better going along. the scene with the shots at the hotel was brilliant.

B+

Yeah, I agree with y'all. Great movie. Probably my second favorite Cuaron after Children of Men. If Noctis were straight and not an asshole he would've made this movie.

I liked this only because I don't know what you mean. Care to explain?