Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: RIDE (1.77), LONE (1.36), NUT (725k), HUSTLE (765k), JACK (1.03)

After Nikki left, Deadline is still a good source of movie industry news. But there is absolutely nothing there for people looking for box office numbers on the weekend.

Does anyone else kind of miss the ridiculously wrong 1pm pacific updates? I don't think there was a single accurate one ever, but at least it gave everyone something to speculate about - now we have to wait till late Friday for Nikki's tweets, or the actual numbers by Deadline on Saturday.

THIS. That's what I miss too, yeah she is never accurate but it fuels discussion at least

• Like 1

Open Road is securing that January slot ;p

I am going to be friend of Open Road and say that MLK weekend will probably become a very busy weekend after this year. We witnessed one major weekend at the box office. It could be a weekend in a month like February, March, April, August, September and October, we would still talking about how massive it was. Right now, the only month that needs to be validated like this as a major time to open a movie is September. Because studios have yet to learn how to use Labor Day weekend and the last weekend of the month. But they are close. We now have our annual blockbuster animation in the month.

Edited by CJohn

I am excited to see the MLK weekend proved as a major time to open a movie. It works with big action/blockbuster type of movies (Green Hornet, The Book of Eli, Cloverfield), animation/family movies (The Nut Job, Paul Fart, Hotel for Dogs), horror movies (My Bloody Valentine 3D) and comedies (Ride Along, Paul Fart). And the weekend before MLK weekend may have just also turn into a weekend strongly used for some big releases (DAT Lone Survivor opening effect).

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

I am excited to see the MLK weekend proved as a major time to open a movie. It works with big action/blockbuster type of movies (Green Hornet, The Book of Eli, Cloverfield), animation/family movies (The Nut Job, Paul Fart, Hotel for Dogs), horror movies (My Bloody Valentine 3D) and comedies (Ride Along, Paul Fart). And the weekend before MLK weekend may have just also turn into a weekend strongly used for some big releases (DAT Lone Survivor opening effect).

I hope January will eventually get rid of its dumping ground image, I really believe movies can open big any month with the right material and marketing

• Like 1

Watching Hellboy right now, very underrated SH movie. 

It is a good movie, but something about the whole movie just felt off. I can't describe why, but I walked out of the movie feeling like I should have liked it a lot more than I did.

Hellboy 2 on the other hand is basically Del Toro just indulging himself - there is no human POV character in that movie. At least Hellboy had the new BPRD agent.

I don't think we'll ever see major release in januarary just because of it's post holidays status and big movies will perform better elsewhere. However I could see them placing more of their oscar expansions (or expansions in general) and smaller budget movies that might not have been hits getting placed there.