Fake

The International Box Office Discussion Thread

That UK gross is wrong or TDKR. It was at $86.5m last Sunday...

Not really.BOM grosses have been higher than 'official' figures because exchange rates have improved recently.TDKR was officially at $82.1m week before last. Then it made 2m GBP for Mon-Sun period. That means it should officially have been at $85.3m after last weekend.

Well, it can't be at $86.5m, because that's around £54m, and TDKR was already at £54.5m last Sunday. That means it's over £55m now, which is at least $88m.

Well TDKR is on £55.3M after last weekend in the UK which is $88.5M so let us go with that figure! :D

from previous post a note about currency conversion-Post 6-Aug-12Without going to far into it, its a total mishmash and yes I haven't looked at it closly in a while but when I was BOM coversions were bad.Internally studios/distributors generally convert based on a intercompany weighted average exchange rate for each financial month(so if a film plays jul/aug/sep it will have calculations based on three rates, these rates are also adjusted a month later due to initially they are done in advance), when they give all the INTL numbers in $us its converted from $lc using the intercompany rate, now various sites may convert those numbers in $us to $lc but it may not match the $lc depending on how they chose to do it (some use the latest daily rate even on cume figures)Now when each territory releases they weekend/week official top 10/20/50 etc its released in $lc from the various territories, then sites convert to $us(once again varies)So if hyperthetically you looked at say TDKR in UK and say you look at what BOM has under its INTL total and you look at what they have it listed as in GBP then you go to say the weekend actuals report which is given in GBP(there maybe some territories where the data is given as $us) and look at TDKR that total may/may not match what say BOM or others have converted from $us or converted to $us When Distributors release numbers in $us its done on monthly intercompany rates not weekend/dailyHere are a few numbers (the below list is based on sunday release estimates & distributors intercompany rates), 1st figure is Local , Us in bracketsTDKRUK 55.4m (86.5m )AUS 42m (43.4m)Korea 47.6b (41.6m)Germany 26.6m (32.6m)Mexico 416.1m (31m)TA -just $usChina 87.6mUK 83.3mBrazil 66.6mMexico 62.2mAustralia 54.4mKorea 52.4mRussia 42.8mFrance 42mJapan 39.8mGermany 31.9mTR just $usUK 6.4mAustralia 5.6m Edited by Rth
  • Like 5

Yep, that's the problem when counting Dollars as opposed to admissions.At the beginning of Augist "Intouchables" had made 83 million US-$ in Germany+Austria when we believe BOM. The following week, though it had made nearly 200k that week, it dropped to 81 million :). Since it's a french film, the conversion rate didn't as a fact affect anybody; it's just statistical glitches.

from previous post a note about currency conversion-Post 6-Aug-12Without going to far into it, its a total mishmash and yes I haven't looked at it closly in a while but when I was BOM coversions were bad.Internally studios/distributors generally convert based on a intercompany weighted average exchange rate for each financial month(so if a film plays jul/aug/sep it will have calculations based on three rates, these rates are also adjusted a month later due to initially they are done in advance), when they give all the INTL numbers in $us its converted from $lc using the intercompany rate, now various sites may convert those numbers in $us to $lc but it may not match the $lc depending on how they chose to do it (some use the latest daily rate even on cume figures)Now when each territory releases they weekend/week official top 10/20/50 etc its released in $lc from the various territories, then sites convert to $us(once again varies)So if hyperthetically you looked at say TDKR in UK and say you look at what BOM has under its INTL total and you look at what they have it listed as in GBP then you go to say the weekend actuals report which is given in GBP(there maybe some territories where the data is given as $us) and look at TDKR that total may/may not match what say BOM or others have converted from $us or converted to $usWhen Distributors release numbers in $us its done on monthly intercompany rates not weekend/dailyHere are a few numbers (the below list is based on sunday release estimates & distributors intercompany rates), 1st figure is Local , Us in bracketsTDKRUK 55.4m (86.5m )AUS 42m (43.4m)Korea 47.6b (41.6m)Germany 26.6m (32.6m)Mexico 416.1m (31m)TA -just $usChina 87.6mUK 83.3mBrazil 66.6mMexico 62.2mAustralia 54.4mKorea 52.4mRussia 42.8mFrance 42mJapan 39.8mGermany 31.9mTR just $usUK 6.4mAustralia 5.6m

Great informative post (though I had to concentrate so much my head hurts :P).I thought the USD conversions were done on weekly basis and then cumulatively added. But I guess monthly rates also make sense. But what happens when a week has some part in one month and rest in another. Which month's rates are used for these type of calculations?
  • Like 1

Decided to try and email BOM to get them to update this useful section of the site:http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/weekend/Which had been abandoned since weekend ending June 3rd. And what do ya know, a few hours later... they seem to be adding all the missed OS weekends in (at least 6 weekends so far). :D

Edited by JCS
  • Like 1

Top 10 Overseas films of 2012:

The Avengers $886,000,000

Ice Age: Continental Drift $676,608,583

The Dark Knight Rises $603,400,000

The Amazing Spider-Man $483,300,000

MIB 3 $445,005,922

Madagascar 3 $396,700,000

Titanic 3D $285,666,656

The Hunger Games $277,070,258

Brave $254,900,000

Prometheus $252,110,956

What else will crack this list? Discuss.

Skyfall, The Hobbit and Twilight for sure.

Ted possibly.

Edited by JCS

Top 10 Overseas films of 2012:

The Avengers $886,000,000

Ice Age: Continental Drift $676,608,583

The Dark Knight Rises $603,400,000

The Amazing Spider-Man $483,300,000

MIB 3 $445,005,922

Madagascar 3 $396,700,000

Titanic 3D $285,666,656

The Hunger Games $277,070,258

Brave $254,900,000

Prometheus $252,110,956

What else will crack this list? Discuss.

Skyfall, The Hobbit and Twilight for sure.

Ted possibly.

Ted probably wont make it.

Movies to make 2012 top 10 oversea:

Skyall: locked

BD2: locked

TH1: locked

Rise of the Guardians: why not ?

RE5: very likely

One of the Oscar contenders: very likely

Wreck-It Ralph: possible

Looper: possible

Cloud Atlas: slime chance

Paranorman/ Hotel Transylvania/ Frankenweenie: no chance

Assuming Hobbit Skyfall and BD2 make it in easily, the fight should be for the 10th place between Titanic 3D, Hunger Games (Japan left to open), RE5, Wreck-It Ralph and Rise Of The Guardians. If I had to guess from those, I would say ROTG would do it.