grim22

Best movies of 2013 (Results link in first post)

First off, I would like to thank everyone for sending in their lists. The statistics are given below

[*]42 lists were received [*]93 different movies were included across all lists (not counting Films's list which contributed around 30 movies by itself  :P ) [*]The top 3 movies combined got more points than the next 15 movies combined, so the top 3 movies are pretty much consensus picks of this forum. #1 appeared higher on basically every single list

And for a taste of what is to come. I will reveal Numbers 20 through 16 today. These will be smaller reveals, basically just the movie name and a user review or two. This will also help me fix any formatting issues beforehand.

So,

http://youtu.be/JxMENlKn3kE

Numbers 21-40

Number 20 and 19

Number 18

Number 17

Number 16

Number 15

Number 14

Number 13

Number 12

Number 11

Number 10

Number 9-1

Number 9-2

Number 9-3

Number 6

Number 5

Number 4

Number 3

Number 2

Troll Number 1

Number 1

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

Number 20

We start off with a TIE between 2 movies which are as dissimilar from each other as possible

#20-1: NEBRASKA

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

Jake Gittes: 

I loved Nebraska. Incredibly touching movie. Still think Election is Payne's best, but if we're talking his comic dramas, Nebraska is definitely on the level of About Schmidt and Sideways (I still haven't seen The Descendants), in some ways it's even better due to B&W cinematography and no Hollywood charisma (which Nicholson couldn't entirely hide no matter how hard he tried) - it feels more lived-in and intimate. Just a wonderful old-fashioned drama/comedy that has a lot to say about old age, mortality and missed opportunities without explicitly stating it.

#20-2: NOW YOU SEE ME

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

Narniadis:

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The twists and turns were kept at just the right pace to keep the story moving while the individual hijinks reminded me of Oceans 11 and 13 in particular. My wife and I were betting on the 5th horseman with me taking one character and my wife coming up with the winner but even she didn't see how it was going to play out. Nicely done, as Captain Craig said there are some things that could have used a little more fleshing out earlier so as to give us a bit tighter conclusion, but it was a lot to pack into a 2 hour run time. 

Edited by grim22
  • Like 9

Number 18

#18: THE ACT OF KILLING

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

Jack Nevada:

I wasn't feeling too bad while watching the movie, but about five minutes after the credits had rolled it hit me. I had to take a long walk to distance myself. A staggering, silencing and mind-melting piece of surrealism that'll leave you at a loss for words and with a need for a shower. 

5/5

Telemachos:
Holy Fuck.

• Like 7

Number 17

#17: MUD

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

CMasterClay:

I loved it. It's my favorite movie of the year so far, at least until Star Trek this week. Very authentic atmosphere and setting, beautifully shot, and wonderfully acted.  Nice to see such a well-written, well-directed, thematically rich film that isn't at all pretentious or needlessly high-falutin.

9/10

Baumer:

Next to This is The End this is my favourite movie of the year.MM is absolutely Oscar worthy and Im wondering if hell be a double nom this uear with Wolf of Wall Street as well. The guy who plays Ellis is fantastic as well. A beautiful story that reminded me of Stand By Me in some ways.

9.5/10 

• Like 10

Number 16:

#16: Monsters University

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

Gopher:

It still feels like a cohesive film, but narratively breaks off into three acts: 

Act I: We get reintroduced to Mike and Sully and fully introduced to the college. Goals and themes are introduced, some less obvious than others. It's the slowest section of the film, but it's still fun, and the character designs and attention to detail was more than enough to keep me interested. 
Act II: The Scare Games. This is the section of the film that's the most remnicient of animal house. Tons of clever setpieces, great laughs, and heartwarming moments. It ends how you might expect it to, but I felt disappointed because I thought they were wrapping things up too quickly. Until..
Act III: The rug gets pulled out from under and the movie adds a whole new layer to itself. The climatic scene of the movie involves two characters just talking and it's a remarkable scene. The third act of this film ranks with Pixar's best work. It totally moved me. 

In short, I really liked it and it will probably be my favorite animated film of all of 2013. 

Blankments:

I wrote off this movie as crap before I saw it. The trailers were unappealing, and I thought Pixar had lost their touch after two crappy movies in a row. The movie though was surprisingly good. Not as great as the original, but it's one of Pixar's funniest movies. I didn't know how it'd work as a prequel since the original's heart is all Boo, and a prequel removes that. However, the film still manages to tug the heartstrings along with being hilarious. It has also possibly the bravest message so far in a Pixar movie, one that is very effective and a great asset. Surprise of the year for me. A

• Like 7

After having tallied every list received, trust me, I was surprised at how everything fell together.

There is one movie which will be revealed in due course which will be the moment when people go "That's it, I'm done with this list. No way in hell should that movie be this high on any list" or when they go "Whoa, so there were a large and diverse group of responses" or they go "Hell Yeah!!! That made it"

• Like 4

After having tallied every list received, trust me, I was surprised at how everything fell together.

There is one movie which will be revealed in due course which will be the moment when people go "That's it, I'm done with this list. No way in hell should that movie be this high on any list" or when they go "Whoa, so there were a large and diverse group of responses" or they go "Hell Yeah!!! That made it"

Did Dark Knight Rises somehow make it on the list again?

• Like 7