grim22

Best movies of 2013 (Results link in first post)

(The real) Number 1:

#1: GRAVITY

Posted Image

To paraphrase one of my favorite online reviewers:

It's rare to see consensus get built about a movie. Cinema is one of those things that everyone has a different taste in. Very, very rarely is a movie so good that everyone has to agree on it. But when I saw the #1 movie, I praised it to everyone I knew and everyone loved it, and I've never seen that happen. And I told myself if there was any justice in this world, it would be a movie that would spread everywhere and that everyone would love it, and...it did. The movie snobs, the soccer moms, the teenagers, the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waste-oids, dweebies, dickheads, everyone. And by the end of 2013, it was widely recognized as one of the must-see on the big screen cinema events.

Alfonso Cuaron managed to do something almost impossible with Gravity – he managed to make everyone say “You HAVE to go watch this in the theater”. He gave us an experience which could not be replicated through piracy or home viewing. With a performance by Sandra Bullock which held your attention throughout and Clooney being Clooney, this movie overcame all hurdles to emerge as the best movie of the year.

Box Office: 260M Domestic / 677M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Telemachos

It's easily the movie experience of the year. Absolutely insane; you will be gripping the seat of your IMAX chair for 90 minutes.

A

Rallax

This movie!

Holy shit!!

Cuarón, you magnificent bastard!!

Lilmac

I came into this movie somewhat blind. I avoided reviews. Only saw the first trailer. Whether that made a difference or not I don't know but I found the movie thrilling. I cringed involuntarily a few times during some of the tense moments so I know the movie was working in that regard. The score also stood out for me, especially at one point early on. Technically Gravity is a lock for Oscar nominations in the fx and sound (ironic huh?) categories.  Also, the 3D REALLY adds to the movie. 

What I didn't like were some of the decisions made by Clooney's character early on. Having started my career at NASA and being familiar with that world, I kept shaking my head. Also, the positions of the debris field, other space stations, etc were a little too convenient. I also didn't think Bullock was a strong lead.

Overall the pluses outweigh the takeaways. I expect several Oscar noms in January

Clonewars

I thought this was an amazing film. Better than Argo, better than The Artist. I foresee this becoming a classic of cinema and making the AFI top 100.

This film is a masterpiece.

A+

See this in the biggest screen you can and in 3D. Absolute best 3D ever put to film.

CmasterClay

This was fucking brilliant. Favorite movie of the year so far. Somehow it lived up to the reviews.....but to me, it was for reasons different than the reviews really focused on (though those aspects were obviously good too).

• Like 15

(The real) Number 1:

#1: GRAVITY

Posted Image

To paraphrase one of my favorite online reviewers:

It's rare to see consensus get built about a movie. Cinema is one of those things that everyone has a different taste in. Very, very rarely is a movie so good that everyone has to agree on it. But when I saw the #1 movie, I praised it to everyone I knew and everyone loved it, and I've never seen that happen. And I told myself if there was any justice in this world, it would be a movie that would spread everywhere and that everyone would love it, and...it did. The movie snobs, the soccer moms, the teenagers, the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waste-oids, dweebies, dickheads, everyone. And by the end of 2013, it was widely recognized as one of the must-see on the big screen cinema events.

Alfonso Cuaron managed to do something almost impossible with Gravity – he managed to make everyone say “You HAVE to go watch this in the theater”. He gave us an experience which could not be replicated through piracy or home viewing. With a performance by Sandra Bullock which held your attention throughout and Clooney being Clooney, this movie overcame all hurdles to emerge as the best movie of the year.

Box Office: 260M Domestic / 677M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Telemachos

It's easily the movie experience of the year. Absolutely insane; you will be gripping the seat of your IMAX chair for 90 minutes.

A

Rallax

This movie!

Holy shit!!

Cuarón, you magnificent bastard!!

Lilmac

I came into this movie somewhat blind. I avoided reviews. Only saw the first trailer. Whether that made a difference or not I don't know but I found the movie thrilling. I cringed involuntarily a few times during some of the tense moments so I know the movie was working in that regard. The score also stood out for me, especially at one point early on. Technically Gravity is a lock for Oscar nominations in the fx and sound (ironic huh?) categories.  Also, the 3D REALLY adds to the movie. 

What I didn't like were some of the decisions made by Clooney's character early on. Having started my career at NASA and being familiar with that world, I kept shaking my head. Also, the positions of the debris field, other space stations, etc were a little too convenient. I also didn't think Bullock was a strong lead.

Overall the pluses outweigh the takeaways. I expect several Oscar noms in January

Clonewars

I thought this was an amazing film. Better than Argo, better than The Artist. I foresee this becoming a classic of cinema and making the AFI top 100.

This film is a masterpiece.

A+

See this in the biggest screen you can and in 3D. Absolute best 3D ever put to film.

CmasterClay

This was fucking brilliant. Favorite movie of the year so far. Somehow it lived up to the reviews.....but to me, it was for reasons different than the reviews really focused on (though those aspects were obviously good too).

I can live with this, I just hate to see Captain Phillips not getting in but Pacific Crap showing up at 4.

No, I can't live with this. Switch Gravity with WOWS and I will be fine.

And behind Pacific Rim. Don't forget that!

Another proof this forum only cares about hate or love for some parts of a project, not the project itself, when it comes to liking or disliking something ;) 

To end it all, here is the 2013 Movie Mashup Trailer

A big thanks to everyone who sent in their lists for the "People's Choice Awards - BOF version" ;) 

And the list of numbers 21-40

Captain Philips

Frances Ha

Fruitvale Station

Side Effects

Philomena

American Hustle

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Spring Breakers

Star Trek Into Darkness

The Spectacular Now

Prisoners

Anchorman 2

The Place Beyond The Pines

Saving Mr. Banks

Warm Bodies

About Time

The Croods

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

My personal top 20 was

1.12 Years a Slave

2.Inside Llewyn Davis

3.Her

4.Gravity

5.The Wolf of Wall Street

6.Fruitvale Station

7.The Spectacular Now

8.Mud

9.Frozen

10.Saving Mr. Banks

11.This is the End

12.Before Midnight

13.The Way Way Back

14.Philomena

15.Rush

16.Short Term 12

17.The Act of Killing

18.Blackfish

19.The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

20.The World's End

Edited by The Panda

Another proof this forum only cares about hate or love for some parts of a project, not the project itself, when it comes to liking or disliking something 

D'awww. CJohn's having a meltdown.