Punch Drunk Love

18 members have voted

1. 1. Punch Drunk Love

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I was probably in the wrong mood to watch this, and I'm sure its an exquisitely layered masterpiece filled with symbolism.

At this point I see it as an intense, mildly disturbing drama with amazing sound design, a surprising performance from Sandler and a great PSH cameo. I doubt I'll be seeing it again soon.

3/5

Yeah this is easily PTA's second best film IMO (after TWBB). Also the first film where he stopped channeling anyone and really showed a voice all his own. Sandler and Watson are both wonderful in one of the most unlikely pairings I can think of, the soundtrack and editing are not just great by themselves but also serve as clear windows into the main character's psychological state (too often it's just screenplay and performance, but here PTA uses all the tools he can and it shows), and I can't get enough of the scene where Sandler and Hoffman yell at each other over the phone. 

And of course, gotta love the theory that this movie is actually about Superman. 

I'll just repost what I said in the CC thread

Is this the best rom-com of all-time? definitely had the best well paced first 40 minutes I've seen an in a long LOOOONG time and Sandler actually have chemistry with his lead girl, tons, and tons of chemistry. I have a lot more respect for him now.

I love how you can never predict what is going to happen next and how PTA doesn't give a fuck about trying to explain some things in his movies.

Hoffman gives ANOTHER fantastic little performance, seriously, that man has no limits? I miss him.

I'm becoming more and more convinced, with each PTA film I watch, that he is among one of the best directors of all time. He sure is in my top 3, together with Nolan and Hitchcock.

PERFECTION.

h2JHXQhxkhnfG.gif
FUCK ME PAUL.

Paul Thomas Anderson Marathon
Magnolia 100/100
Punch-Drunk Love 100/100
The Master 80/100 (need to see it again)
Boogie Nights 70/100
Hard Eight 65/100