luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

The Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs....his body of work easily puts him in the top 100. He's one of those directors that has a distinct style and an excellent body of work.

Edit: And of course Unbreakable. I don't want to forget that movie because it was very well done.

Easily? Your opinion is your own, of course, but I doubt you'll find many who agree with even two of those movies as all-time greats, let alone all three.

• Like 1

The Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs....his body of work easily puts him in the top 100. He's one of those directors that has a distinct style and an excellent body of work.

Any body of work with The Happening, The Last Airbender and After Earth in it deserves in no way to be called excellent.

Also, Signs? Really? That film has more holes than a sponge. 

Easily? Your opinion is your own, of course, but I doubt you'll find many who agree with even two of those movies as all-time greats, let alone all three.

Then, that says a lot about their taste in movies. However, it doesn't matter. I don't like a lot of Spike Lee, Oliver Stone, or Woody Allen films. But, I can appreciate their talent as directors and voted for them all as top 100 directors.

• Like 1

Then, that says a lot about their taste in movies. However, it doesn't matter. I don't like a lot of Spike Lee, Oliver Stone, or Woody Allen films. But, I can appreciate their talent as directors and voted for them all as top 100 directors.

Except those three directors have a huge and varied collection of films, not to mention awards of all sorts. With M. Night, you have one critically acclaimed film.... and that's it. He hasn't particularly influenced other directors or filmmakers of his generation either.

I mean, even someone like John McTiernan would rank higher than M. Night, and he's basically a solid veteran journeyman.

Except those three directors have a huge and varied collection of films, not to mention awards of all sorts. With M. Night, you have one critically acclaimed film.... and that's it. He hasn't particularly influenced other directors or filmmakers of his generation either.

I mean, even someone like John McTiernan would rank higher than M. Night, and he's basically a solid veteran journeyman.

At least 2 critically acclaimed according to the rambling nerdy guy that Numbers just posted in the youtube video above yours. Even though he goes on to slam Signs personally, he admits that it was a critical and financial success.

Even if Shyamalan only had 1 great film (which he doesn't unless you completely under-appreciate Unbreakable and The Village), that's still 1 more than Linklater and Wes Anderson have combined, and they're both on this list.

Edited by Walt Disney

At least 2 critically acclaimed according to the rambling nerdy guy that Numbers just posted in the youtube video above yours. Even though he goes on to slam Signs personally, he admits that it was a critical and financial success.

Even if Shyamalan only had 1 great film (which he doesn't unless you completely under-appreciate Unbreakable and The Village), that's still 1 more than Linklater and Wes Anderson have combined, and they're both on this list.

I don't watch critic videos, as a rule. A "critical success"? I mean, sure, it was generally well-received, but a 74% RT score is hardly worth trumpeting to the heavens. If you consider UNBREAKABLE and THE VILLAGE to be legitimately great films, then I guess your criteria is considerably lighter than mine.

In terms of Linklater and Anderson, you may dislike them all you want, but at a bare minimum they're at least as influential as M. Night (I think they're both considerably more influential than him), they've made more films than him, and their films have been far, far better received. For example, Linklater has more films with 80%+ RT scores than M. Night has made, period. (Anderson has almost as many, 7 to 9.) And neither has made any absolute stinkers critically, where M. Night has a whole handful at this point.

M. Night desperately needs some Cahiers du Cinema op/ed pieces to passionately start arguing for his trash for about a decade before he'd be warranted. :P

Based on what it's looking like, some of the higher-profile snubs IMO:Luis Buñuel, Henri-Georges Clouzot, Vittorio De Sica, Carl Theodor Dreyer, Wong Kar Wai, Buster Keaton, Kenji Mizoguchi, Yasujiro Ozu, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, Satyajit Ray, Jean Renoir, Preston Sturges, Isao Takahata and Luchino Visconti (just missed).

Most surprised by Kar Wai and De Sica not making it among that list.

You do realize the demographic of people voting here probably have never heard of most of those directors.  I haven't hear of half of them and I'm 42.

I don't watch critic videos, as a rule. A "critical success"? I mean, sure, it was generally well-received, but a 74% RT score is hardly worth trumpeting to the heavens. If you consider UNBREAKABLE and THE VILLAGE to be legitimately great films, then I guess your criteria is considerably lighter than mine.

In terms of Linklater and Anderson, you may dislike them all you want, but at a bare minimum they're at least as influential as M. Night (I think they're both considerably more influential than him), they've made more films than him, and their films have been far, far better received. For example, Linklater has more films with 80%+ RT scores than M. Night has made, period. (Anderson has almost as many, 7 to 9.) And neither has made any absolute stinkers critically, where M. Night has a whole handful at this point.

M. Night desperately needs some Cahiers du Cinema op/ed pieces to passionately start arguing for his trash for about a decade before he'd be warranted. :P

I can accept that M. Night isn't a top 100 director in your opinion and that you don't like his work, even though I disagree. I don't think his work is "light" at all. It isn't overly boring, but certainly there is nothing light about it. And Linkater and Anderson are not influential at all. The Sixth Sense was at least a big deal. Nothing that either Linklater or Anderson has done is even remotely in that league. Making average films does not make someone a great director.

• Like 2

The problem with M. Night isn't his direction. That's fine and you could probably make an argument that he's one of the better directors out there (top 100? I dunno, but possibly.)

His problem is that he insists on writing his movies, and his writing is trash. He had one good trick, used it up in The Sixth Sense, and has spent a decade and a half trying to catch that lightning again.

He'd probably start turning out good movies if he'd let someone else write the scripts. (Granted, he's not alone in this regard. There are plenty of guys who are plenty keen behind the camera who shouldn't be touching the pen.)

I'm not a big fan of Shyamalan after Signs but Unbreakable is a 100% classic and his first two films are miles better than anything Wes Anderson has done.  He's one of the most over rated people in Hollywood.  There really isn't much of a market for his films.  Shyamalan has fallen since Signs, but he is still better than some of the over rated guys mentioned here from time to time.  IMO.

• Like 1

The problem with M. Night isn't his direction. That's fine and you could probably make an argument that he's one of the better directors out there (top 100? I dunno, but possibly.)

His problem is that he insists on writing his movies, and his writing is trash. He had one good trick, used it up in The Sixth Sense, and has spent a decade and a half trying to catch that lightning again.

He'd probably start turning out good movies if he'd let someone else write the scripts. (Granted, he's not alone in this regard. There are plenty of guys who are plenty keen behind the camera who shouldn't be touching the pen.)

That's a fair point. I voted for him based on his directorial skills. I really don't have any opinion about him as a writer either way.

Edited by Walt Disney

I can accept that M. Night isn't a top 100 director in your opinion and that you don't like his work, even though I disagree. I don't think his work is "light" at all. It isn't overly boring, but certainly there is nothing light about it. And Linkater and Anderson are not influential at all. The Sixth Sense was at least a big deal. Nothing that either Linklater or Anderson has done is even remotely in that league. Making average films does not make someone a great director.

Linklater not influential? Not sure where you are living. The Before trilogy? Boyhood? These are/will be influential films. I don't know anyone who'd argue that the Before trilogy (or however many there ends up being) is anything but important. 

And PTA is a brilliant director and influential and that is that. 

EDIT: oh, you're talking about Wes. Still brilliant and Influential. 

Edited by riczhang

You do realize the demographic of people voting here probably have never heard of most of those directors.  I haven't hear of half of them and I'm 42.

I've heard of most, mainly through reading Roger Ebert's Great Movie series. I just haven't seen their movies
  • Like 1