baumer

BO.com top 100 movie lines of all time: May the force be with you, number 1

33 I drink your milkshake There Will Be Blood 2007

Paul Thomas Anderson's much nominated film gave Daniel Day Lewis one of his most iconic roles.  And that's saying something as he has had brilliant performances since My Left Foot, almost 25 years ago.  Anderson wrote the screenplay himself and adapted it from Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel Oil! Anderson wrote the screenplay with Daniel Day Lewis in mind because he had always liked him and because he heard that Lewis loved Anderson's film Punch Drunk Love.  The famous line was inspired by a speech from former US Senator, Albert Fall who used the term milk shake when describing the process of mining oil.  Anderson thought it was such an out of place term and it stuck with him and decided that somehow he would have to fit it into the film.  Excellent choice on his part as it makes our list of best lines at number 33. 

• Like 5

32 Get busy livin or get busy dying Shawshank Redemption 1994

Written by Stephen King and adapted for the screen by director Frank Darabont, The Shawshank Redemption is one film that was largely ignored by the paying public but went on to become a classic once it hit the home video market. It has even usurped The Godfather on imdb to become the number one rated film on that site.  Why is it so popular?  My guess is because like the 1976 film Rocky, it's about never giving up.  Andy Dufresne goes to prison for a crime he didn't commit.  He is there for life.  But instead of giving in to the harsh realities of prison life, he strives to make a better life for himself and his buddies while inside.  And while this is what is shown on the outside, Andy patiently bides his time, and 20 years later, he digs his way out of prison and in the ultimate FUCK YOU to those who have taken advantage of him, not only does he win, he brings the system down in the process.  Get busy livin or get busy dying, you're god-damned right!

• Like 4

31 Get your stinkin paws off me you damn dirty ape Planet of the Apes 1968

Rod Serling and Michael Wilson wrote this screenplay from the French novel by Pierre Boulle.  The film was chosen by the National Film Registry to be preserved because of it's cultural and historical significance.  Like many success stories, this script was passed over by many producers and studios before Richard Zanuck took it on.  His vision paid off as Planet of the Apes became a cash cow for Fox and is still relevant today, more than 40 years later.  Planet of the Apes is one of the first major Hollywood films (that I can think of ) that has a strong animal rights message.  As Tele once told me, "it's hard to get a strong animal rights film made."  But 40+ years ago they did it and did it well.  It was only nominated for two Oscars but more importantly it has stood the test of time and become a film that has remained in our vernacular and part of that reason is the line.  

• Like 3

More lines that just missed:

This isnt flying, it's falling with style Toy Story
X Get off my plane Airforce 1 
X Failure is not an option Apollo 13 
X There's something waiting for us, and it aint no man Predator 
X This is Sparta 300 
X As you wish Princess Bride 
X You had me at hello Jerry Maguire
X Are you not entertained Gladiator
X Andy Dufresne, who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean… Shawshank Redemption 
X Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope Star Wars 
X Forgiveness is between man and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting Man on Fire 

Its no secret what the all time iconic lines are. There are obviously many still to come. But u may be surprised at the top 5. And remember, this list was compiled by teens, 20-somethings 30 and 40 year olds. there is no favoritism here in terms of younger people older people or whatever. This list was very well represented by all age groups.

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that the CASABLANCA lines are this low. I guess the younger generation isn't quite as familiar with them.

But there's so many of them. I think Casablanca is very well represented.
  • Like 4

If I had thought of it, I would've nominated "Coffee is for closers!" and "Fuck you! That's my name". And "A, B, C. Always be closing."

Well shit, I should've thought of GLENGARRY.

The movie overall is pretty good, but it's mostly that one scene... or really that one performance, that's quotable.

• Like 1