Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

Frozen's run is spectacular.

This weekend: $8-8.5m

Feb 21-23: $6m 

Feb 28-Mar 2: $4m

Post Oscar bump: March 7-9: $6m

I still think Iron Man 3's $409m is safe but Frozen will come within shouting distance.

Iron Man 3 was destroyed by CF.  So use CF as the bar.

Iron Man 3 was destroyed by CF.  So use CF as the bar.

Well I think Frozen will probably wind up 2nd WW and domestically for 2013 but it still has an outside shot of hitting #1 for both if it gets a post oscar bump in the US to pass CF and has a similar reception in Japan (150m+) as it did in S. Korea to pass IM3 globally.

Edited by FrozenFanatic
  • Like 1

Did you mean "The World's End"? I don't recall any sci-fi elements in This is the End. :huh:

Meant This is the End. Yeah, I agree. I would call it Fantasy. the-numbers.com has it listed under scifi though for some reason.

Lego up 61.9%.  20% drop on Sunday and 10% bump on Monday takes it to 69.6M.  Going to be a close call, but the President's Day weekend record should go down.  Expected fall for the Valentine's day films, though solid for Robocop which could get to ~25M.  Modest bump for Frozen, only up 53% so looking at 8.5-9M for the 4-day.  Great for RA, especially if it increases, as it should clear the 10M mark.

Edited by Spizzer - Manav

Lego is up 62% on Sat.

The Jungle Book 2(2003, v-day fell on Friday) showed a 52% jump on Sat.

Taking it's Sunday and Monday drops,

13m 21.1m 16.35(-22.5%) 12.55(-23.2%) = 63m

Taking Sunday and Monday drops from Gnomeo and Juliet (also in weekend #2 like Lego)

13m 21.1m 16.45m(-22%) 15.63m(-5%) = 66.18m

So a 65m+ 4-day is on.

Edited by a2knet

Sat

LM 21.1,RF 8.6,ALN 8.3,MM 6.1,EF 3.7,RA 3.3,FRZ 2.6,WC 2.3,LS 1.2,TAM 1.1

EF/RA Fri will increase

Lego +61.9%

RoboCop +22.9% (RoboFlaccid)

About Last Night -36.2%

Monuments Men +22.0%

Endless Love -49.3% :o (Endless Flop)

Ride Along -3.0%

Frozen +52.9%

Winter's Tale -37.0% (Not sure what WC stands for Rth  :D Winter's Crap?)

Lone Survivor flat

That Awkward Moment -28.2%

Lego is up 62% on Sat.

The Jungle Book 2(2003, v-day fell on Friday) showed a 52% jump on Sat.

Taking it's Sunday and Monday drops,

13m 21.1m 17.2(-22.5%) 12.6(-23.2%) = 63.9m

Taking Sunday and Monday drops from Gnomeo and Juliet (also in weekend 2 like Lego)

13m 21.1m 18.6m(-22%) 17.7m(-5%) = 70.4m

So 65m 4-day seems on.

Your Sunday drops are incorrect.  17.2M is -18.5% and 18.6M is -11.8%.  ~20% drop brings it down to 16.5M, but I expect a Monday increase so 65M should happen anyway.  Jungle Book 2 comparison is hard to make because 2003 was just a different market.  G&N lines up a bit better but isn't a 100% match either.

Transcendence and Interstellar look like great scifi movies.  Jupiter Ascending looks very risky, wouldn't be surprised at all if it bombs and/or is shit, but I appreciate big budget boldness in the age of really safe comic book movies.  It looks like it could either be something along the lines of The Fifth Element/something else or some dumb Twilight shit in space.

Oblivion was a love letter to the entire scifi genre and scifi fans, and it was fun.

What about mid-budget Sci-Fi movies ? One of the biggest problems with the genre is that studios only think of making $150 million movies and when they don't pan out it hurts the entire genre. I am fine with creative movie making with movies in the $50-100 million range. You can reduce risk even more if you have good director and good/popular actors on board.

What about mid-budget Sci-Fi movies ? One of the biggest problems with the genre is that studios only think of making $150 million movies and when they don't pan out it hurts the entire genre. I am fine with creative movie making with movies in the $50-100 million range. You can reduce risk even more if you have good director and good/popular actors on board.

Proof big budget doesn't mean anything,Gravity had a medium budget of 100m, and it looked better, was bolder, and was better than all of the big budget movies this year.
  • Like 1

Your Sunday drops are incorrect.  17.2M is -18.5% and 18.6M is -11.8%.  ~20% drop brings it down to 16.5M, but I expect a Monday increase so 65M should happen anyway.  Jungle Book 2 comparison is hard to make because 2003 was just a different market.  G&N lines up a bit better but isn't a 100% match either.

lol, thanks. fixed it. 

I wouldn't be too sure of a Monday bump. Journey 2 did not increase either in 2012 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-02-20&track=journey2.htm)

Seceret world of Arriety did increase by 2.7% but it was posting small numbers (around 2m).

• Like 1

lol, thanks. fixed it. 

I wouldn't be too sure of a Monday bump. Journey 2 did not increase either in 2012 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-02-20&track=journey2.htm)

Seceret world of Arriety did increase by 2.7% but it was posting small numbers (around 2m).

With no bump I think we could have a photo-finish with Valentine's Day for the weekend record.  It's going to be extremely close.

• Like 1

With no bump I think we could have a photo-finish with Valentine's Day for the weekend record.  It's going to be extremely close.

Yeah.

Talking about VD, after a 63.1 4-day ow, it took 14 more days to touch 100m LOL...after 3 weekends it was at 99.91m.

• Like 1

DHD

UPDATED Saturday, 11:10 P.M:The Lego Movie looks to take in about $20.3M tonight to push its total four-day cume now up a bit to $60M+. About Last Night is estimated to have grossed $8M, Robocop $8.3M to $8.6M tonight, Monuments Men is next with $5.8M to $6.1M on Saturday and Endless Love with $3.3M to $3.7M on date night. All of the romancers fell off but Valentine’s Day Friday night was expected to be the big night. It also looks like this 4-day President’s Day weekend is tracking about 25% ahead of last year. Will post revised numbers as they come in early in the AM. Expect positions and estimates to change by the morning, but one thing for certain, there is no stopping The Lego Movie, which along with About Last Nightand Endless Love are the profit winners.