baumer

Non-Stop (2014)

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked all of it except the reason the killer was doing what the killer was doing.  But other than that it's a solid film with good suspense.  Neeson's great and there is some good tension.

8/10

• Like 5

So fucking stupid, but I'll be damned if I didn't have fun watching the levels of absurdity on display here.

The first hour was pretty brutal.  It wasn't for lack of trying, as you could tell effort was made to build tension, suspense, and character.  Sure, it failed miserably and was as lifeless as the current Nazi movement, but the effort was there.

Let's be clear, this is the type of film that gets more ridiculous as it progresses.  You can almost pin-point where the film-makers got desperate and starting throwing nonsense up against the wall.  It's almost like they said "Fuck it" when they realized nothing was working, and started taking hits of acid.  Well, everyone knows that being a user is more enjoyable than a spectator role.

Simply laughable in its execution.
  • Like 1

The mystery element was fantastic.  Every potential suspect had a viable motivation/background.  I really couldn't figure out who the baddie was going to be.

The execution/editing/pacing had a slight level of detachment for me.  It was like watching any other Steven Segal or Die Hard-knockoff movie.  Not to say it wasn't fun.  I really enjoyed it but it definitely had a sense of non-tethered-ness... if that makes sense.

It's ridiculous (I'm still trying to understand how the captain was poisoned) and cliché (oh yes, another alcoholic man who has lost his kid gets a chance to redeem his life through an over-the-top save all the people from dying story). 

But it's a tense film with good action and strong performances. The movie really picks up in tension when the passengers become involved and start demanding to know what the hell is going on. While that's cliché, their performances are good enough to keep those moments grounded, and I did like it. I also think that there was enough mystery (I too struggled to figure out who the villain was) that the movie held my attention for long enough.

I barely recommend it.3/4 

• Like 2

I liked all of it except the reason the killer was doing what the killer was doing.  But other than that it's a solid film with good suspense.  Neeson's great and there is some good tension.

8/10

Why didn't you like the reason for the killer? I found his reasoning to be a little cliché, so I agree with you. I was just wondering what's your reason.

(I'm still trying to understand how the captain was poisoned) 

Poison dart fired through the small hole in the restroom that Neeson found.

Why didn't you like the reason for the killer? I found his reasoning to be a little cliché, so I agree with you. I was just wondering what's your reason.

His reason, and help me out here, is that he was going to prove the security in the US was an illusion by exposing Neeson as someone who couldn't do his job?  And his bad feelings came about because of 9/11.  I found this to be really stupid.  

• Like 1

The first 20 minutes I wasn't feeling it. I didn't like the set up, it was very cookie cutter and the cinematography took a little while to get used too being super shallow and blurry in many moments, but director Jeaume Collet-Serra definitely delivers what the film promised, a fun turn your brain off action movie. 

Liam Neeson is perfect as Liam Neeson in this and no one else could do it better. 

Overall its nothing special or noteworthy but its a good time.

B (83)

• Like 5

Seriously, though, Neeson just brings something amazing to his role every time I watch him. I didn't even like Taken, but I still liked his performance. And within the first 2 minutes of this film, I was shocked by how good he is. When people gush over actors, I usually am unimpressed and I find them overrated, but Neeson's in a completely different category. He's like Leo or DDL (not in terms of quality, just in terms of living up to the hype). I hope he gets more Oscar roles in the future.

• Like 1

Poison dart fired through the small hole in the restroom that Neeson found.

Yeah, I got that. What I meant was that it was utterly insane. My use of words was awful, there.

The way it was done seems fine but the who did it is problematic. The old lady said Julianne Moore went to the toilet next and then Julianne Moore saw no one else. You'd have to assume the Zach character somehow snuck in and shot the dart through the pipe.
  • Like 1

Its an enjoyable and competent thriller, but the movie makes far too many jumps in logic that make my head spin for me to ever truly be invested in the film (e.g, if nothing else the speech Liam gave which instantly turned the passengers back to his side.

B

• Like 2

Any plot that uses 9/11 without clear explanation that it was committed by the United States Government will ensure Baumer doesn't like the reason

Any plot that uses 9/11 without clear explanation that it was committed by the United States Government will ensure Baumer doesn't like the reason

I thought it was clearly implied. ;)

I liked it, but once the killer is exposed, it could have really used a ".. and that's when I did it" montage. Because the plot logistics required for the killer to pull everything off seem just crazy once the big reveal comes.

That said, the moment when Neeson grabs the gun in zero-g is worth the price of admission.