JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

wow i must say that the cinema @ robina is performing extremely well for an 8 theatre location. that is just amazing really.I was already thinking indooroopilly would be 2nd behind chermside in brisbane (I bet it would have been a lot higher back in it's hayday - especially before chermside opened up). I was tossing up between mt gravatt and carindale for 3rd in brisbane though.not surprised either... to be honest, before chermside opened i used to goto Indooroopilly for movies. (though that was more to do with the fact i went to uni down the road back then ;) - well it was between there and the other indooroopilly cinemas ~ the cheaper one )

Edited by Jajang

wow i must say that the cinema @ robina is performing extremely well for an 8 theatre location. that is just amazing really.I was already thinking indooroopilly would be 2nd behind chermside in brisbane (I bet it would have been a lot higher back in it's hayday - especially before chermside opened up). I was tossing up between mt gravatt and carindale for 3rd in brisbane though.not surprised either... to be honest, before chermside opened i used to goto Indooroopilly for movies. (though that was more to do with the fact i went to uni down the road back then ;) - well it was between there and the other indooroopilly cinemas ~ the cheaper one )

Yes Indoor Was and use to be not much different bet the two when chermside opened, now if you wanted to make Indoor a 24plex(16+8) it rank #13 instead of #17 but still wouldn't touch Chermside, Carindale is way way way down the list in Bris Edited by Rth

Everyone is being cheaper? And things like the $10 optus tickets at village definitely would have helped.And considering GU/Event is owned by village, its crazy how big they are.

Actually its the other way around GU bought into village 33-50% in the 1950's and in the 1980's also bought a share of Roadshow film Distribution, few years ago GU sold Village stake and trying to remember FD... actually I sure they sold it as well.GU also had 50% stake in BCC forever(think almost since day1) and in early 90's bought 100% of it. BCC in qld was going to be changed to GU name but because BCC was such a household name BCC name stayed.The Majority of the village/ GU multiplexes these days are a JV between the two and depending on the state it determines who runs it, so. up untill a few years ago Warner Bros Theatres was also a stateholder (they owned on average a 1/3 each), GU bought out WB's share.In I think 2009 the Newcastle Glendale complex a JV but operated by GU, GU bought out Village 50% stakes so its now 100% GU, GU bought out both village & hoyts in Sydney george St for millions (it was a JV for years between hoyts/village/GU) they also took control of Brisbane city as well.So for exampleSydney, Perth, Adelaide-top ryde, Macquarie , Castle hill, Hurstville , Miranda, Innaloo , Marion, etc are all GU/village JV operated by GUQLD - chermside, Mt Gravatt, Robina, Carindale, etc are GU/BCC/village operated by BCc well its really GUVic- KnoX, Southland, sunshine etc GU/village operated by VillageInteresting thing with Castle Hill is it use to be part owned as well by Pacific Theatres.Years ago behind the Box Office was a huge sign say this is a GU/Village/Warner Bros/Pacific cinema the sign went the whole length of the BO.also in NZ 2010 -2011 GU bought Sky cinemas(which had been Village, that Sky bought few years prior)NZ is dominated by Hoyts & GUSo GU is overall the dominate force. While in Aus GU has a number of sites its 100%, village has hardly any the majority are JV's whether it be with GU or some other partner.Hoyts is left to build and operate their own .Untill the early-mid 1980's Hoyts for 50 years was 50% owned by 20th Century Fox film corp. Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

RTH, yesterday I read an article about the 2005 (?) "divorce".Boy did Hoyts lose BIG TIME in that baby! GU got the kids, the cars, the house and left nothing, with the main win being George St - the biggest location in the country.

Edited by Robertron

RTH, yesterday I read an article about the 2005 (?) "divorce".Boy did Hoyts lose BIG TIME in that baby! GU got the kids, the cars, the house and left nothing, with the main win being George St - the biggest location in the country.

Yeah basically years ago the ACCC in Sydney, Melbourne & brisbane wouldn't allow the CBD locations to be dominated by one chain, Adelaide didn't care either way nor Perth. In Perth GU ended up being only one and eventullay they pulled out and theres now only and independent cinema in CBD.In Brisbane Hoyts had couple sites, & GU a couple, GU closed their sites and the Hoyts ones became a GU/Hoyts JV when the ACCC lifted the ruling GU bought Hoyts share in Bris city.In Melbourne there were seperate Gu/village & hoyts complexs and they remained eventually village closed citym GU stayed and Hoyts closed theirs but build a new complex(now one of the biggest in the country).In Sydney Village closed their CBD site and up the road the GU& Hoyts complex they connected the two to become one and it became a JV between the three, Village eventually pulled out and it became GU/Hoyts then when ACCC ruling was lifted GU bought out Hoyts for something like 10mil maybe higher but also took over the full rent which is high millions each year.Part of the deal with sydney was Broadway complex up the road , GU had a stake in it with Hoyts, Hoyts bought out the GU stake to compensate for CBDNow the stuipd thing with the CBD setup was and the ACCC ruling they was no single directory in papers so you'd see George st for example listed under GU and Hoyts and village directories and only the films each company had (so look at all of them to see what was on at Gst c, website the same I remember friends say Hey X isn't showing at George st I'd say what site are you looking at oh GU, try Hoyts and you'll find it etc), hoyts however controlled the Ticketing system but each company had to issue their own reports they received from data feed.Booking a film each chain had control of screens so for example Hoyts might have had screen 1,4,7,10, GU had ,2,3,6, village say 5,8,12 you get the drift, different cinema ads the works (each chain got a large cinema each and then the rest divided)if a film played on screen1 you delt with Hoyts if Screen 5 you delt with village.There were also different ticket prices so if say a film happened to play across chains , so on 1 GU screen and 1 Hoyts screen and both chains might had different prices.so for example you might have gone to film X in Cin1 at 2pm GU Adult 10.50,but if you went to 3pm and it happened to be on a hoyts screen say 4 you might have paid only $10, pages of ticketing codes the site had to accept things like Movie money from all the chainsthe above example for Sydney also applied to Brisbane across two complexes (4 +8)so if you worked in one of these cinema back in the day , a nightmare. Edited by Rth

Yeah basically years ago the ACCC in Sydney, Melbourne & brisbane wouldn't allow the CBD locations to be dominated by one chain, Adelaide didn't care either way nor Perth. In Perth GU ended up being only one and eventullay they pulled out and theres now only and independent cinema in CBD.In Brisbane Hoyts had couple sites, & GU a couple, GU closed their sites and the Hoyts ones became a GU/Hoyts JV when the ACCC lifted the ruling GU bought Hoyts share in Bris city.In Melbourne there were seperate Gu/village & hoyts complexs and they remained eventually village closed citym GU stayed and Hoyts closed theirs but build a new complex(now one of the biggest in the country).In Sydney Village closed their CBD site and up the road the GU& Hoyts complex they connected the two to become one and it became a JV between the three, Village eventually pulled out and it became GU/Hoyts then when ACCC ruling was lifted GU bought out Hoyts for something like 10mil maybe higher but also took over the full rent which is high millions each year.Part of the deal with sydney was Broadway complex up the road , GU had a stake in it with Hoyts, Hoyts bought out the GU stake to compensate for CBDNow the stuipd thing with the CBD setup was and the ACCC ruling they was no single directory in papers so you'd see George st for example listed under GU and Hoyts and village directories and only the films each company had (so look at all of them to see what was on at Gst c, website the same I remember friends say Hey X isn't showing at George st I'd say what site are you looking at oh GU, try Hoyts and you'll find it etc), hoyts however controlled the Ticketing system but each company had to issue their own reports they received from data feed.Booking a film each chain had control of screens so for example Hoyts might have had screen 1,4,7,10, GU had ,2,3,6, village say 5,8,12 you get the drift, different cinema ads the works (each chain got a large cinema each and then the rest divided)if a film played on screen1 you delt with Hoyts if Screen 5 you delt with village.There were also different ticket prices so if say a film happened to play across chains , so on 1 GU screen and 1 Hoyts screen and both chains might had different prices.so for example you might have gone to film X in Cin1 at 2pm GU Adult 10.50,but if you went to 3pm and it happened to be on a hoyts screen say 4 you might have paid only $10, pages of ticketing codes the site had to accept things like Movie money from all the chainsthe above example for Sydney also applied to Brisbane across two complexes (4 +8)so if you worked in one of these cinema back in the day , a nightmare.also the CBD locations including Ade/Per use to had distributor alliances (use to be in some suburbs as well) so for example by default(and there were exeptions) a Fox or Sony film only played Hoyts, Paramount, Universal, Disney played GU, village was almost exclusive roadshow/WB

Wow that's a really interesting history. And yes it would've been very confusing!When did it happen? Why did it happen more importantly?

doing it all from memory for what its worth Perth was other way round Hoyts not GU,late 90's -01 ended 2005 and as for the other I could right a novel

doing it all from memory for what its worth Perth was other way round Hoyts not GU,late 90's -01 ended 2005 and as for the other I could right a novel

Wow really that bad?!I have another question to ask:If you're able to answer it, what is the market share of the top 10 Sydney sites?