JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

You can say that about literally every movie ever made. That's not a valid argument for or against a film developing legs.This has a much broader audience than IM2. If you can't see that based on this opening vs IM2's opening, I don't know what to tell you. Wait and see, I guess

+1Here in France word of mouth helps it a lot.

You can say that about literally every movie ever made. That's not a valid argument for or against a film developing legs.

Yes it is. Massive frontloading will prevent this from dropping less than 50% in its second weekend. Maybe in its 3rd weekend, but no, it's not going to develop good legs right away. Edited by RTX

Again, it opened on a national holiday. Outside of that, it had a normal weekend. If anything, the big Wednesday deflated the weekend and made it easier for it have a good hold next weekend.

I don't understand why you just ignore OD in your analysis. OD as percentage of 5-day clearly indicates TA is more frontloaded than TF3. No way it drops less than 50% next weekend. I think Harry Potter-esque legs are in order. 40M might be the best case right now.

RTX - it's not apples for apples exactly due to TF3 being released during the school holidays.TF3 spread it's opening over wednesday / thursday / friday. Your whole point about it being frontloaded falls down when i you look at this:Wed - 6mthursd - 2mFri - 2.7mSat - 4.7mSun - 4mGive or take a few. (this is an approx breakdown). TA appears frontloaded over the weekend due to it's release date & the fact school is still in!Wed - public holidaythurs - schoolfri - schoolvery simply TA's spread would have been a lot more even possibly pushing the normal 4 day weekend up to over 15 or 16m.Potter legs are unlikely in my opinion - for the following reasons:- WOM is great so far (the fact it lept so much on sat indicates this fact already....)- complete lack of competition (Harry faced CA in it's third week)- Harry also faced school restarting around the country during it's 2nd and 3rd weekends making it's drops harder.either way TA has had a 4m+ better start than TF3 and TF3 crashed and burned in it's 3rd weekend, which something TA will almost certainly avoid. TF3 went on to make 37m or so. We are already > 40m for TA by this... making 45m an easy trot with stronger legs than TF3. As long as TA can stay ahead of TF3 after the 2nd weekend we are on track for a 45m+ finish.

There's no real comparison from either 2001 or 2007, the last two times ANZAC Day has fallen on a Wednesday. The Number 23 followed the same release pattern but I don't think we can use that to make a comparison.

Yes battleship dropped hard this weekend but 10m+ here isn't a failure. It's within expectations I think given everything. If only 200m hadn't been spent it could done so much better. TA also held THG from reaching 30m this weekend. THG should wind up over 31m. Disney must be very happy this weekend and rubbing their hands with glee for the upcoming weekend(null)

So what are we all expecting for the 8-day total?I'm thinking somewhere around $23m, give or take half a mil.So it's official 'first week total', which in this case is Wed-Tue, should be around $22m, good enough for 2nd-3rd All-time.

So what are we all expecting for the 8-day total?

I'm thinking somewhere around $23m, give or take half a mil.

So it's official 'first week total', which in this case is Wed-Tue, should be around $22m, good enough for 2nd-3rd All-time.

New cumes to date include UK $29.8M, Mexico $27.0M, Australia $22.6M, France $19.7M, Brazil $18.8M.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/avengers-now-260-5m-overseas-could-reach-585m-worldwide-through-sunday-with-u-s-canada-russia-china-openings/

So what are we all expecting for the 8-day total?I'm thinking somewhere around $23m, give or take half a mil.So it's official 'first week total', which in this case is Wed-Tue, should be around $22m, good enough for 2nd-3rd All-time.

Pretty close :)8 days will wind up around $au22.8 and first week wed-tue 21.9 and yes that would make it very close #3 for week ,#1 HP DHpt2(wed-tue) 29.3, #2 HP HBP(wed-Tue) 22mil, #4 ROTK(fri-thu) 21GU had 10 of top 20 cinemas national, and 7 of top 10 in sydney Edited by Rth

Just noticed David and Margaret reviewed TA last night on At The Movies. They both enjoyed it with David being particularly excited by the cameo from Polish director Jerzy Skolimowski. I assume he was the Russian being interrogated by Black Widow. http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s3485705.htm

I really can't stand them at all, especially David.