The Futurist

Who Will Win an OScar ? Actress Edition

And you completely omitted that part of my (now erased thanks to my clumsiness) post when I said: 

The only way Aniston would sniff an Oscar is that she produces/directs an Oscar vehicle movie (like Angie Jolie's upcoming Unbroken) in which she lends herself the lead role.

Her "moneymaker credentials" you're refering to is the only leverage that could make that situation happens.

Edited by dashrendar44

I think Glenn Close, if she can find her On Golden Pond. 

Emily Blunt

Rooney Mara

(And i don't think Amy Adams will ever win one. She can be Thelma Ritter 2.0) 

Yep, Rooney Mara is a done deal, she s french kissing  La Blanchitto in her next feature.

Emily Blunt : not sure.

As for Adams, they will build her a due narrative someday and she will get one, she s way too much loved by american auteurs.

As a matter of fact, she has one of the most impressive résumés as far as directors goes, better  than a lot of other actresses.

She gets more auteurs than Kidman nowadays ....

Edited by The Futurist

I think you guys are completely missing the point. All the talent doesn't mean shit if you can't make money at the box office. I think a lot of people will argue that Aniston is a better actor than Sandler and yet even Sandler had critical success with PTA's Punch-Drunk Love. He even scored a Golden Globes nomination. The problem with Sandler was that he didn't give a fuck about awards and he had no need to when he was getting paid $20 million for every role and making a lot more as a producer with his own film company. Aniston is the same way. She makes tens of millions with each of her movie every year and Oscars is just not a motivation for her. Good and great directors don't care about the reputation of actors. If Aniston wants to work with a good director she will get her shot. The truth is that there is absolutely no need for someone in her position to care about awards recognition but don't think for a moment that she can't land good roles if she wants to. There isn't a major studio in Hollywood that will say no to her.

I put Jennifer Anniston because she s randomly named as future award contender in the AD forum and I chuckle every time, it is  a running joke over there.

Some seem to believe in it.

She did a sundance Oscar baity role years ago with the Prince of Persia though, she did tried it a bit.

• Like 1

Oscars is just not a motivation for her. Good and great directors don't care about the reputation of actors. If Aniston wants to work with a good director she will get her shot. The truth is that there is absolutely no need for someone in her position to care about awards recognition but don't think for a moment that she can't land good roles if she wants to. There isn't a major studio in Hollywood that will say no to her.

She herself has said she wants an Oscar. ( btw add Theron to the list of 40-50 year olds In her path - another Oscar winner).She very recently just failed to get a role she read for. It went to Hathaway. So if you lose roles to Sarah Jessica Parker and Hathaway, please tell me how you get past Bullock, Blanchett et al to land these good roles that apparently are just waiting for her?I have never heard a single director, writer actor of note say their dream is to work with Jennifer Aniston or that only she could play a part. If I've missed someone's absolute desperation to experience her Rachel hair flick style of acting I'll stand corrected.If she's so bankable and Oscar calibre why didn't Cuaron go to her after his first choice Angelina turned down Gravity? He saw the likes of Scarlett and Portman and settled on Sandra. Why didn't Woody Allen think she'd be perfect for the role of an ageing, deluded narcissist who lost everything when she lost her husband?Why is her name never, ever mentioned in connection with any major or even medium sized role? If she can get any big studio to give her a role why has she just signed for a film with a budget of just 7 million with no distribution deal in sight?I've heard of stars turning down big, bland studio roles to do meaty indie fare in the hope of getting awards or to challenge themselves artistically.I have NEVER heard of an actress CHOOSING to deny herself meaty Oscar worthy roles and / or big lead roles that people are apparently willing to hand her on a plate in order to do shitty roles in a crappy ensemble piece because it might make a bit of money for someone else!!And thank you Futurist for clarifying that your original comment was a joke. I don't think I could take two people on this forum who seriously think Rachel from Friends at age 45 is an Oscar contender!
  • Like 1

I put Jennifer Anniston because she s randomly named as future award contender in the AD forum and I chuckle every time, it is  a running joke over there.Some seem to believe in it.She did a sundance Oscar baity role years ago with the Prince of Persia though, she did tried it a bit.

The Good girl. About 15 or more years ago. She got an independent spirit nomination for it. Nothing else.

Cuaron also asked Blake Lively to test for Gravity and she did. Look, I have nothing for or against Aniston but I know that actors with leverage in Hollywood can get studio roles and there are plenty of actresses with Oscars that don't have any leverage whatsoever.  Hillary Swank has two Oscars but can she greenlight a $25 million movie based on her name alone in 2014? I doubt it. People get lost in these awards debate and forget the most important thing - $$$. Studios are in the Oscars business because of the money involved and there are plenty of Oscar caliber performances that go unnoticed because the studios can't make the economics work and pass on these projects.

She herself has said she wants an Oscar. ( btw add Theron to the list of 40-50 year olds In her path - another Oscar winner).She very recently just failed to get a role she read for. It went to Hathaway. So if you lose roles to Sarah Jessica Parker and Hathaway, please tell me how you get past Bullock, Blanchett et al to land these good roles that apparently are just waiting for her?I have never heard a single director, writer actor of note say their dream is to work with Jennifer Aniston or that only she could play a part. If I've missed someone's absolute desperation to experience her Rachel hair flick style of acting I'll stand corrected.If she's so bankable and Oscar calibre why didn't Cuaron go to her after his first choice Angelina turned down Gravity? He saw the likes of Scarlett and Portman and settled on Sandra.Why didn't Woody Allen think she'd be perfect for the role of an ageing, deluded narcissist who lost everything when she lost her husband?Why is her name never, ever mentioned in connection with any major or even medium sized role?If she can get any big studio to give her a role why has she just signed for a film with a budget of just 7 million with no distribution deal in sight?I've heard of stars turning down big, bland studio roles to do meaty indie fare in the hope of getting awards or to challenge themselves artistically.I have NEVER heard of an actress CHOOSING to deny herself meaty Oscar worthy roles and / or big lead roles that people are apparently willing to hand her on a plate in order to do shitty roles in a crappy ensemble piece because it might make a bit of money for someone else!!

i don't follow her career so I have no idea what she said or which roles she auditioned for but let us talk about the last couple of paragraphs. You have never heard of actors turning down indie fare to do high paying studio roles ? That's the weirdest argument I have ever heard. There maybe an actor or two who chose indie roles over studio roles but the truth is that most actors fight for studio roles because that's where the real money is. I know that a lot of actresses have to go the indie route to get meaty roles but even someone like Amy Adams had no issues signing up for Superman movie just for a paycheck. JLaw started as an indie actress but jumped at the opportunity to star in studio movies. Who are you even talking about here ? Last I checked , actors like Sandler and Aniston were drawing $10-20 million checks for these ensemble movies. Who cares if the movies are shitty? No one is going to give a fuck about most of these Oscar movies in 50 years time anyway so it isn't like people who act in these Oscar movies are creating art that will last for centuries.

• Like 1

TLK, your posts are getting confusing now and the arguments convoluted.You're not dealing with the central issue which is Jennifer Aniston at her age with her limited acting range has little to no leverage in Hollywood when it comes to getting major roles. When Blake Lively is considered for a role that Angelina Jolie has turned down and you are not even in the running for it, you have no leverage to speak of.When you are not considered for any dramatic role because there are at least one dozen bigger and better actresses in your age group blocking your path then you have no leverage to speak of.When big comedy roles are going to Melissa McCArthy and the rare decent rom çom roles are going to younger actresses, your leverage in this genre is sinking and time is not on our side.So if she doesn't get big roles, doesn't get dramatic roles and is losing out on good comedy roles, for what is she going to win an Oscar? What leverage does she have exactly? To do Sandler movies? And you don't need to follow her career closely to read in the industry press that due to We're the Millers making money her asking price has now risen to 5million. Millers was last year so if her asking price has risen to 5 million it was obviously less before. So, no you can't just slip her in with Sandler and throw in figures of 10-15 million.And my last 2 paragraphs make perfect sense. Your original argument was Aniston could easily get any good role she wanted, could easily work with the best writers and directors and be in the running for an Oscar. But she chooses not to. She doesn't care about oscars or good roles or working with good people. She'd rather make bad rom coms because when they don't flop (wanderlust, management, the bounty hunter etc) they make decent money.I said I had never heard of any actor or actress refusing to do good work in order to do shit. I stand by that. It's like you saying Cuaron begged her to do Gravity/ silver linings etc. The studio was willing to pay her 20 million. But she turned it all down because the artist in her demanded that she fellate a banana in Horrible bosses for 2-3million (if that) instead!I'm not going to waste any more time on this. Bottom line: Jennifer Aniton does not get offered good roles. She takes what she can get, which are the shitty rom coms and even they are drying up for her. And she will never be nominated for or win any significant award let alone an Oscar.

• Like 2

I repeat, I don't give a fuck about Jennifer Aniston. Please don't involve me in your obsession with her. I am making a point about the industry. Her movies make money and actors who make money for studios have leverage. That's how it works in movie industry and in any other business. As far as the whole argument why so-and-so cast actor X and not actor Y that's not for me to know. Most lead actors make 1-2 movies while Hollywood produces 300+ big and small movies every year so there are only so many movies any A-list actor will consider. I don't know why David O Russell picked Amy Adams over Angelina Jolie and I don't give a fuck either. Whether an actor is doing good or not is defined by the success their movies are having and by their paycheck. Aniston is an A-lister in terms of both and if you ask anyone in the industry they'll tell you the same thing.

And you completely omitted that part of my (now erased thanks to my clumsiness) post when I said: 

Her "moneymaker credentials" you're refering to is the only leverage that could make that situation happens.

And guess who has produced some kind of indie movie in which she starred as the lead female role that premiered at TIFF last september based on an Elmore Leonard novel featuring Jackie Brown's characters?

Now that I think about it she could definetely use her companion's scriptwriting credentials to get an Oscar vehicle done.

Edited by dashrendar44

Not sure what is happening to 'Your Voice in My Head' but the movie sounds like a possible Oscar contender, and while I think winning an Oscar might be a long shot for Watson, she might get a nomination at least.