Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

MU should have had a nom over DM2.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if that's part of what went on here. DM2 was a hyper-popular but clearly inferior film that had an incredibly catchy song. LEGO isn't clearly inferior, but it was hyper-popular (at least domestically) and had an incredibly catchy song. While the animation noms last year didn't get any backlash, it migth have sat in the minds of the nominators.

• Like 4

LEGO's strength is in terms of writing. LEGO's weakness is in terms of animation technique. So what we've seen is that "Top Tier Writing + using computers to give a stop motion effect" loses out to "mid-tier writing + actual stop motion animation".

But the stop motion effect is legitimately an jump forward in technology.

I just don't get it

• Like 1

But the stop motion effect is legitimately an jump forward in technology.

I just don't get it

It's a clever use of existing technology, but isn't especially technically demanding, if that makes sense. Wreck-It Ralph already did a similar effect in a smaller capacity.

• Like 1

It's a clever use of existing technology, but isn't especially technically demanding, if that makes sense. Wreck-It Ralph already did a similar effect in a smaller capacity.

True. But the LEGO sea and explosions; those are legit technology advances with new programs made for it

• Like 2

Whatever the Academy's reasoning was, it still reflects badly on them that it got snubbed. Not only did it get some of the best reviews of the year, but it also likely galvanized the industry as a whole as its success will encourage them to do more creative things with CGI as opposed to the smooth, curvy production design we typically get.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

Whatever the Academy's reasoning was, it still reflects badly on them that it got snubbed. Not only did it get some of the best reviews of the year, but it also likely galvanized the industry as a whole as its success will encourage them to do more creative things with CGI as opposed to the smooth, curvy production design we typically get.

The Academy is not the Academy if they don't intermittently demonstrate how out of touch they can be at times. :P TDK snub and Crash over Brokeback Mountain are the other most major examples that come to mind.

• Like 2

The Academy is not the Academy if they don't intermittently demonstrate how out of touch they can be at times. :P TDK snub and Crash over Brokeback Mountain are the other most major examples that come to mind.

I think this was the last straw for me. It's just an endless cycle that's never going to be broken as long as their current voting body is in place.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I think this was the last straw for me. It's just an endless cycle that's never going to be broken as long as their current voting body is in place.

I wish they'd get rid of Best Animated and Best Foreign Language just to make it easier for those types of films to get into BP.

But yeah, the Academy is out of touch. Watch Inside Out get critical raves and a monstrous BO run, only to miss out on all Oscar noms not related to Best Animated Film or possibly Best Score. 

I wish they'd get rid of Best Animated and Best Foreign Language just to make it easier for those types of films to get into BP.

But yeah, the Academy is out of touch. Watch Inside Out get critical raves and a monstrous BO run, only to miss out on all Oscar noms not related to Best Animated Film or possibly Best Score. 

But then they'd probably wind up with maybe one foreign film nominated a year and an animated movie nominated every 5 -10 years, if that.

• Like 1

But then they'd probably wind up with maybe one foreign film nominated a year and an animated movie nominated every 5 -10 years, if that.

Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated back-to-back.

With 10 noms, 2008, 2007, possibly 2005 (Howl or WereRabbit), 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997 (Monokoke), 1995, 1994, 1992, 1989, 1988, 1967, 1961, possibly 1959/1955/1953/1950 would all have animated films getting BP noms.

Rango and Frozen probably should have gotten the 10th slot of their respective years as well.

If the Academy had any hindsight, Snow White, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Dumbo and Bambi would have been nominated for BP back when there was 10 nominees

Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated back-to-back.

With 10 noms, 2008, 2007, possibly 2005 (Howl or WereRabbit), 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997 (Monokoke), 1995, 1994, 1992, 1989, 1988, 1967, 1961, possibly 1959/1955/1953/1950 would all have animated films getting BP noms.

Rango and Frozen probably should have gotten the 10th slot of their respective years as well.

If the Academy had any hindsight, Snow White, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Dumbo and Bambi would have been nominated for BP back when there was 10 nominees

I forgot Up was nominated but the fact that it and Toy Story 3 are it since they expanded to a 10 films BP category doesn't mean more animated films would be nominated for BP if the special category was eliminated.  Most years don't even have the full 10 nominees and an animated behemoth like Frozen still couldn't slip in. This year we only had 8 nominees.

It would also kill 90% the chances for any small or foreign studio film to get a nomination and recognition and therefore gain awareness and audience in the U.S.

• Like 2

I forgot Up was nominated but the fact that it and Toy Story 3 are it since they expanded to a 10 films BP category doesn't mean more animated films would be nominated for BP if the special category was eliminated. Most years don't even have the full 10 nominees and an animated behemoth like Frozen still couldn't slip in. This year we only had 8 nominees.

It would also kill 90% the chances for any small or foreign studio film to get a nomination and recognition and therefore gain awareness and audience in the U.S.

If Disney had dumped Banks' Oscar campaign and focused entirely on Frozen, it would have gotten a BP nom, probably the Sound categories and maybe Adapted Screenplay.

Seriously, Frozen was at that point where it could have gotten in with an extra Oscar push. Adding Frozen to BP might have gotten the ratings to 50m haha :P

But I agree most foreign films would get ignored if there was no FL category

• Like 1

That's on the Academy. They nominated a lot of garbage back then. Just as bad as Vertigo, 2001 and TDK not getting BP noms

Most of the fillers weren't garbage just nice solid movies - which is what half the recent nominated BP are.  Which shows even though there are great films every year that could worthily fill a BP list twice over there are kinds of films that they don't want to nominate unless they go well above and beyond what a film from the preferred BP pool has to accomplish so they will pad it with those that click the "Oscar kind of movie" boxes. And for Snow White it still wasn't enough - though the next year Walt Disney got his Honorary Oscar for it.  But that didn't help Pinocchio, Dumbo or Fantasia get nominated after with the padded 10 pic slate.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

If Disney had dumped Banks' Oscar campaign and focused entirely on Frozen, it would have gotten a BP nom, probably the Sound categories and maybe Adapted Screenplay.

Seriously, Frozen was at that point where it could have gotten in with an extra Oscar push. Adding Frozen to BP might have gotten the ratings to 50m haha :P

But I agree most foreign films would get ignored if there was no FL category

Lol, Disney placed its bets on the wrong horse last year. I'm sure the nomination number would have increased to ten with Frozen getting in if Disney had just pushed it hard enough for a BP nom.

But then again, Disney never foresaw The Phenomenon happening at all.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1