Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

Oscar Toon War? ‘Lego Movie’ Bricks Nomination, Rivals Spring Into Action

http://deadline.com/2015/01/lego-movie-oscar-snub-best-animated-feature-nominees-1201350843/

Shockwaves not only hit the room but among those working on rival films — the ones that did get nominated. A Disney source emailed me immediately, “WHAT? No  Lego? Big Hero 6 can win now!” A source connected with DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 said virtually the same thing. With the 800-lb. Lego Movie out of the way, they expect to go for the win. No movie has been enjoying more of a roller-coaster awards ride than Dragon 2. Last week it was shut out of a BAFTA nomination, but then Sunday night it became the surprise winner of the Animated Feature Golden Globe, something DWA chief Jeffrey Katzenberg predicted to me he would probably lose since they had previously gone 0-for-10 with the HFPA. Not to be outdone, a campaign source with Focus Features’ and Laika’s The Boxtrolls also was busy with emails. “I am stunned I can’t even think straight. Totally new animation race now…we are in it to win it. Game on!”  Indeed.

So what caused this earthquake?

Edited by Mojoguy

LEGO Movie not getting a Best Animated Feature nod is easily a top 10 snub of all-time. No joke. How in the world could the Academy conceivably deem Boxtrolls more worthy??? 

It's technically more interesting.

More seriously, a stop motion film with a wide release is practically guaranteed to get a nomination. In 2012 three of the five noms were stop-motion. In 2009 two of the five were. Since the award was implemented in 2001, only one wide-release stop motion film has failed to get a nomination, and that was Monkeybone.

Edited by DamienRoc

More seriously, a stop motion film with a wide release is practically guaranteed to get a nomination. In 2012 three of the five noms were stop-motion. In 2009 two of the five were. Since the award was implemented in 2001, only one wide-release stop motion film has failed to get a nomination, and that was Monkeybone.

Does that mean that Shaun the Sheep is a lock for nomination next year? :D

LEGO has more technical innovations going for it but whatever

• Like 1

I think LEGO snub probably was a fluke, I mean maybe the voters thought it was a shoo-in already so they focused on the others that were on the fence (Kaguya, Song of the Sea, Boxtrolls)

Anyway, saw Kaguya and it was lovely! Darkhorse for the win

• Like 1

That doesn't mean it's right. LEGO Movie not getting a nomination is ridiculous. I don't care about the stop-motion merits. Coraline, Fox, ParaNorman, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride and Were-Rabbit all deserved their nomination because they were excellent films that happened to utilize stop-motion animation. Boxtrolls shouldn't have gotten a nomination just because it was made of clay. 

Boxtrolls has a 71% on RT. LEGO Movie has a 96% on RT. There's no question LEGO is better than Boxtrolls. 

It's easily going to be remember as one of the all-time worst snubs. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

That doesn't mean it's right. LEGO Movie not getting a nomination is ridiculous. I don't care about the stop-motion merits. Coraline, Fox, ParaNorman, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride and Were-Rabbit all deserved their nomination because they were excellent films that happened to utilize stop-motion animation. Boxtrolls shouldn't have gotten a nomination just because it was made of clay. 

Boxtrolls has a 71% on RT. LEGO Movie has a 96% on RT. There's no question LEGO is better than Boxtrolls. 

Right or wrong is subjective in this case.

The critical analysis is subjective in this case.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. I thought LEGO was a stronger movie, overall, than Boxtrolls.

HOWEVER, I am not an animation professional. I am a huge fan of the medium, but I can't claim an expert eye, and neither can the vast majority of people who critique films.

The people who make the Oscar nominations ARE animation professionals. They are going to understand and see things that I, or a critic, or you, will generally miss. They, very apparently, put more weight on the technical craft than many people, myself included, assumed. You may not care about the stop-motion merits, but the people who vote on the oscar nominations very clearly do.

LEGO's strength is in terms of writing. LEGO's weakness is in terms of animation technique. So what we've seen is that "Top Tier Writing + using computers to give a stop motion effect" loses out to "mid-tier writing + actual stop motion animation".

Had LEGO gotten through the nominations stage, it's almost guaranteed it would have won. The Academy as a whole isn't necessarily going to put the same weight on the technical that the animation division does.

I'm not saying that this is "right". I'm giving you a reason for why it happened.

(Actually, now I need to go and watch Coraline, ParaNorman, and Boxtrolls back to back. It'll be interesting to see how LAIKA has developed technically.)

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 2

Look at the films nominated for Best film.  If we're going by RT strength and critical acclaim then only Boyhood, Selma and Whiplash are in the top 10 of RT the year.  There are at least a dozen other movies, probably more, with better critical acclaim then several of the nominees, and several of those with with far better box office.   Life Itself is the best reviewed documentary - it's not nominated. Neither is Jodorowsky's Dune.  Not to mention there were probably many performances on par with or better than what was nominated and because they didn't get the right buzz or were never in the running.

• Like 3

I think LEGO snub probably was a fluke, I mean maybe the voters thought it was a shoo-in already so they focused on the others that were on the fence (Kaguya, Song of the Sea, Boxtrolls)

Anyway, saw Kaguya and it was lovely! Darkhorse for the win

Could be or maybe they didn't like or appreciate it as much.  Of the animated movies I've seen this year Kaguya is the clear stand out and should win. Boxtrolls was good not great or up there with previous studio entries but I enjoyed it more than LEGO and on a skill level stop motion is always going to be most impressive to most other animators.

• Like 1

Could be or maybe they didn't like or appreciate it as much.  Of the animated movies I've seen this year Kaguya is the clear stand out and should win. Boxtrolls was good not great or up there with previous studio entries but I enjoyed it more than LEGO and on a skill level stop motion is always going to be most impressive to most other animators.

I just watched Kaguya and I would put it behind BH6, HTTYD2, and Lego. It was the 4th best animated movie I saw last year.

Haven't seen Song of the Sea yet.

• Like 1

I just watched Kaguya and I would put it behind BH6, HTTYD2, and Lego. It was the 4th best animated movie I saw last year.

Haven't seen Song of the Sea yet.

It's one of a handful of movies I gave an A to so far this year.  I'd nominate it for Best Film period. (and will in the Box Office Noms)

Edited by TalismanRing

Maybe Academy thought the live action scenes hampered Lego's climax? I dunno. If they do focus a lot on technical aspects (reason being for The Boxtrolls inclusion), then I could see why they would have a problem with the live action scenes playing such a prominent part of the movie's resolution.

• Like 2

It seems pretty clear that the animation voters are disinterested in other elements of the film besides the animation, hence why movies with wildly inferior scripts get nominated. 

They're voting for the best-animated feature, not the best animated feature. 

• Like 1

It seems pretty clear that the animation voters are disinterested in other elements of the film besides the animation, hence why movies with wildly inferior scripts get nominated. 

They're voting for the best-animated feature, not the best animated feature. 

Well in that case, Monsters University should have won last year! Or at the very least, scored a nom.

While I don't disagree that the actual animation is given a lot of emphasis, the Academy's decisions on picking the nominations seems more nuanced than that. The fact that Lego heavily used live action to give its climax emotional weight may have not sat well with a lot of the decision makers. This was an issue I had with the movie winning over the other animated films that solely relied on animation to connect with audiences. Something that I had voiced way back in February when the #LegoOscarLocked! gun jumping began.

• Like 2