Films

Weekend estimates | Veronica mars- 2M (down 39% on Sat), 300 2-19.1M,LEGO (7.71M), non-stop (10.6M)

So that puts Frozen's Japan OW as the second highest for an American animated film behind Nemo I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I believe Toy Story 3 is 2nd, and MU is 3rd ($8.4m). That $9.4m is for 3 days, while the OW on other animated movies are for 2 days, and based on sell out reports, Frozen's Friday should be bigger than $1m.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

300 should have no trouble reaching 100M. Hopefully Peabody does it too.

Peabody is locked after that soft second weekend drop. Yes it has Muppets and Rio coming, but it would still have to completely die next weekend to miss 100.

Edited by MovieMan89

Peabody is locked after that soft second weekend drop. Yes it has Muppets and Rio coming, but it would still have to completely die next weekend to miss 100.

I think it should end up around 120 million at this point.

• Like 1

Big budget films do have larger marketing costs.  Marketing costs can be north of $100m!  There is no hard and fast rule of proportions (60% of budget for example).

I think a number of 25 mill is around the lowest for a wide release..

Read that somewhere i think

Thanks both of you!

Me  I am a boxoffice enthusiast and I am always eager to learn more about how boxoffice receipts, etc can be used to determine profitability or loss.

My assumptions:

Studios generally take half of a WW gross.  Correct?

When calculating costs, one must consider P&A.  Obviously.  However, from the Deadline reader comments, there are things such as "studio overhead" and "15% going back to distributors"?

Boxoffice receipts account for 20% of a gross, according to a Deadline reader comment.  Correct?  What are the other major sources of revenue common for films?  I'm assuming merchandising (Cars comes to mind) and DVD/TV rights but do they really account for 80%? 

Final question, where can I find the ancillary revenue info?  A Deadline reader stated that Cars made $9bn in merchandising.  Seems too high but I have no basis.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to help me better understanding the money side of the industry and how these studios stay afloat. 

Response: Thanks for writing.  As a rule of thumb you can say that  studios take about half of the gross. It can vary with different movies, and different territories.  You can also use 15% as a rule of thumb figure for distribution. As for other movie costs, they really vary widely – which is what makes it so difficult to  estimate film profits from the outside. As far as revenues sources go, worldwide it breaks down:  broadcast networks 35%, home video 27%, theatrical 16%, basic cable 8%, pay TV 7%, PPV/VOD 4%, merchandise licensing 2%, and digital 1%.  The breakdown for domestic is a lot different:  Home video 40%, theatrical 25%, basic cable 12%, pay  TV 8%, PPV/VOD 5%, merchandise 5%, digital 3%, and broadcast TV 2%.

For licensing revenues by film, the best sources are License! Global, and The Licensing Letter – but they don’t always report by film title. Sometimes studios will disclose, but not always. Disney was proud of its Cars 2 effort, so it’s possible. As far as the $9B merchandise figure for Cars goes, if it’s correct –and I don’t know whether it is – then it refers to retail price. In other words, most of the cash would go to the retailer and manufacturer. It can still be meaningful for a studio, but not $9B meaningful.

wow, that was interesting!

Peabody should see a bigger drop next weekend than this week with the competition from the Muppets coming. After that it should have light drops until Rio 2 kills it.

Also yay for Budapest continuing to be a little indie sensation this weekend. Let's hope it can extend that success into a wide release.

An out of this world PTA hold for increasing to 66 theaters. Moonrise Kingdom had a similar PTA for its first week after NY/LA, but that was only 16 theaters.

I don't know, I kinda get a bad feeling about Muppets. Like, Ricky Gervais and the stupid accents are gonna turn some kids off. Don't think it's gonna hurt anything

I don't know, I kinda get a bad feeling about Muppets. Like, Ricky Gervais and the stupid accents are gonna turn some kids off. Don't think it's gonna hurt anything

I've always been uneasy about it given the way Muppets '11 failed to light up the box office despite a massive marketing push from Disney and a prime Holiday release date with little family competition. Add in the mixed reviews Most Wanted is getting, and frankly a 50m total may not be in play.