Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Yeah, Cameron delivered something of a Cecil B.DeMille movie (I think he is a modern Cecil B.DeMille for the biblical sense of grandeur with the romantism and awe of David Lean underneath as a sensibility). It's like every single people of earth identified, there's the escapist and exotic aspect on one hand, there's the historical subconscious memory aspect on the other hand.

When you look closely at history of every country, there was always a war/revolution/fight for independance to defend their land, gain their freedom and dignity, be it against colonialists that belittle local people or greedy Kings/executives in power trampling over their people denying them rights. It's something deeply rooted in every culture as a collective conscience, people watching Avatar felt like a metaphor of their History and myth was unfolding before their eyes. A tale of conquests, freedom, war and love set in a spectacular science fantasy setting. Cameron's tour de force is that blue aliens were the protagonists people projected themselves onto instead of humans like them.

Dash Look below, another Batman super Fanboy gets owned. LOL@ TDK Loved more than Avatar domestically. Looks like the contest on the HV market, merchandising market was over before it began domestically lol

Ad agreed he is doing what Cecil B Demille the great one was so great at giving epics that thou risky and expensive , shook up the world. Cameron and Cecille were those rare men, that would go all out and face

self destruction to complete their vision.

I heard Cameron was in such trouble even with all his past success, that he gave up his salary for Titanic to help get the film finished. LoL Paramount and Fox promptly gave him  a 100mil bonus plus a nice BO cut for being such asses..

Amen Cameron!

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 1

After "Aliens" and "T2" how can anyone not be excited James is doing another Sequel.

After "Aliens" and "T2" how can anyone not be excited James is doing another Sequel.

Hi Film Scholar, I think Jay has gone bat beserk...You see how small Batman and even Avengers pales to Avatar. Hopefully james will think past the TDK fanboyism now..LOL

That always crack me up that people try to convince us somehow TDK did bigger than Avatar like "Joker's T-shirts sold more" or "More people disguised themselves as Joker than Na'vi at Halloween = TDK > Avatar. Fact".

I mean, come on, you can love that movie wholeheartly as much as you can but numbers are there to testify and deflate that useless boasting like you desperately need TDK to be on the highest pedestal owning the biggest crown achievement or whatever.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Hi Film Scholar, I think Jay has gone bat beserk...You see how small Batman and even Avengers pales to Avatar. Hopefully james will think past the TDK fanboyism now..LOL

Never said I wasn't excited for Avatar 2, never said I didn't like Avatar, I just said I think TDK is more popular and present into pop culture then Avatar in the United States. 

• Like 1

LOL ^ VC2002.. I think Jay  needs to take whatever pill wakes you up from the dream world.  Was it the blue or red pill :D

"Avatar" is bigger than a superhero film or comic book hero.  Nothing against those guys but Avatar was litterally a visual and mental experience.  People throw rocks at the plot/characters but don't be upset at James cause he understands a formula of how to tell great stories.  Steven and George did the same thing using common themes in modern film making.  Actually I think deep down Steven and George both wished they made "Avatar" in this era.  The film is differently up their ally and could of been a concept both of them could of done.  James admitted to be being heavily influenced by both.   Avatar 2 may drop Domestic but that's still put it at a lock of over 400 Million.  I think Worldwide it will be even Bigger cause 3D is bigger now than when it came out. 

Domestic: 500 Million 

Worldwide: 2.3 Billion

=2.8 Billion

• Like 2

Never said I wasn't excited for Avatar 2, never said I didn't like Avatar, I just said I think TDK is more popular and present into pop culture then Avatar in the United States. 

Jay Batman is big overall, but none of his films are media events on the scale of Avatar guy.

I think our posts just showed the obvious.. The last batman even fell way off domestically and OS I think.. Case in point.

The Juggernaut only competion domestically will likely be another avatar film or James next giant project Battle ANgel Part I of III

It's slightly unfair to TDK in regards to home video numbers when it came out at a time when Blu-Ray was in its infant stage of mainstream adoption. Without TDK, Avatar probably wouldn't have done the numbers it did on Blu-Ray, because TDK was an instrumental title in getting people to adopt the format. The install base was tiny in December of 08 compared to April of 2010. Consider also the PS3 largely struggled in hardware sales until at least the holidays of 2008, and even then didn't have a major resurgence in 2009 when the revision released. Having said that, The Dark Knight itself is one of the highest selling DVDs/Blus of all time when you combine it all together. The reverse argument for Avatar though is that home video began a decline in general right around the time it came out.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

"Avatar" is bigger than a superhero film or comic book hero.  Nothing against those guys but Avatar was litterally a visual and mental experience.  People throw rocks at the plot/characters but don't be upset at James cause he understands a formula of how to tell great stories.  Steven and George did the same thing using common themes in modern film making.  Actually I think deep down Steven and George both wished they made "Avatar" in this era.  The film is differently up their ally and could of been a concept both of them could of done.  James admitted to be being heavily influenced by both.   Avatar 2 may drop Domestic but that's still put it at a lock of over 400 Million.  I think Worldwide it will be even Bigger cause 3D is bigger now than when it came out. 

Domestic: 500 Million 

Worldwide: 2.3 Billion

=2.8 Billion

Love your predict, but the last Avatar made 2.05B OS in a much much smaller market.  Rem Film buddy that our monster will role out in  a world 40-70% bigger all starving for the next Avatar. Both domestically and worldwide. I see at least 850M Domestic

3B OS. :)...3.8Bil

That always crack me up that people try to convince us somehow TDK did bigger than Avatar like "Joker's T-shirts sold more" or "More people disguised themselves as Joker than Na'vi at Halloween = TDK > Avatar. Fact".

I mean, come on, you can love that movie wholeheartly as much as you can but numbers are there to testify and deflate that useless boasting like you desperately need TDK to be on the highest pedestal owning the biggest crown achievement or whatever.

Easy to say when you live in a country where Avatar sold 6 times as many tickets as TDK.

Yet here Avatar sold 10/15% more tickets. We have had 3 Batman movies break the OW record. Again im saying in the US, Im not denying that Avatar overseas is some next level shit. 

As of now im predicting 450m for Avatar 2, thats a huge amount. 

Easy to say when you live in a country where Avatar sold 6 times as many tickets as TDK.

Yet here Avatar sold 10/15% more tickets. We have had 3 Batman movies break the OW record. Again im saying in the US, Im not denying that Avatar overseas is some next level shit. 

Still more than TDK. ;)

• Like 1

It's slightly unfair to TDK in regards to home video numbers when it came out at a time when Blu-Ray was in its infant stage of mainstream adoption. Without TDK, Avatar probably wouldn't have done the numbers it did on Blu-Ray, because TDK was an instrumental title in getting people to adopt the format. The install base was tiny in December of 08 compared to April of 2010. Consider also the PS3 largely struggled in hardware sales until at least the holidays of 2008, and even then didn't have a major resurgence in 2009 when the revision released. Having said that, The Dark Knight itself is one of the highest selling DVDs/Blus of all time when you combine it all together. The reverse argument for Avatar though is that home video began a decline in general right around the time it came out.

Hey being whipped is not just the thing we are loooking at. Even dvd sales for TDK were not huge Carlos.

When one movie outsells another  in 1 day what it did in 18mths thats an embarrassment.

And Blue Ray was big in 2008.  LOL

I was also very shocked by "Avatar" home video sales. A lot of people own that movie.  Wait till the Theatrical Re-release before "Avatar 2", I think it will make some more money.  James made a mistake re-releasing "Avatar" in August of 2010.  To me that was way too soon.  He should of waited.  

• Like 3

Jay are you not doing the math. Avatar sold more tickets than TDK and the tickets cost more.. The last Batman couldnt even make 500M Domestic.lol. When people are paying 10-20.00 a ticket and going back again and again domestically.

Avatar is a freak of nature in a category all by itself Jay and that is even more shown OS.

Rem 760 vs 530Mil lol

Love your predict, but the last Avatar made 2.05B OS in a much much smaller market.  Rem Film buddy that our monster will role out in  a world 40-70% bigger all starving for the next Avatar. Both domestically and worldwide. I see at least 850M Domestic

3B OS. :)...3.8Bil

These numbers are if "Avatar 2" is just as good as the 1st. Only then can I see a bigger increase.  It's hard to deny 6 years of inflation though.  Also the hype when the 1st trailer drops is going to be crazy. But When you have 2 Multi-Billion Dollar films.  I kinda feel the only place to go is down.  But Down for James is still in the billions, lol. 

• Like 1

Jay are you not doing the math. Avatar sold more tickets than TDK and the tickets cost more.. The last Batman couldnt even make 500M Domestic.lol. When people are paying 10-20.00 a ticket and going back again and again domestically.

Avatar is a freak of nature in a category all by itself Jay and that is even more shown OS.

Rem 760 vs 530Mil lol

Lets make a bet then! Avatar 2 over/under TDK? 

Edited by Jay Salahi

Still more than TDK. ;)

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt folks pay 10-20.0 for avatar premium tickets and it still outsold TDK domestically.

Im not sure how Jay feels he can win this argument or even has a leg to stand on. Jay After folks spent all that money

they still bought up avatar without even the special edition or 3D editions out yet.

How in the world can Avatar 2 make only 450M Domestic..Care to do a sig and Avatar bet Jay :)

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt folks pay 10-20.0 for avatar premium tickets and it still outsold TDK domestically.

Im not sure how Jay feels he can win this argument or even has a leg to stand on. Jay After folks spent all that money

they still bought up avatar without even the special edition or 3D editions out yet.

How in the world can Avatar 2 make only 450M Domestic..Care to do a sig and Avatar bet Jay :)

I have no idea why you arguing people spent more for there ticket. Thats pointless, TDK made IMAX what it is today, even you can agree with that. 

And im down! To bad it will take 3 years to find out who wins. 

These numbers are if "Avatar 2" is just as good as the 1st. Only then can I see a bigger increase.  It's hard to deny 6 years of inflation though.  Also the hype when the 1st trailer drops is going to be crazy. But When you have 2 Multi-Billion Dollar films.  I kinda feel the only place to go is down.  But Down for James is still in the billions, lol. 

True Film buddy that is true , can this man really go up.. It doesnt seem possible, but neither did Titanic or someone making a film about a parapledgic hero running around with blue cat people making almost 3billion as his very next film.

I think James is going to do it.. I would be crazy if those dudes posts of 5B for Avatar 2 over in other movie forums came to pass and eclisped by highend lol

Avatar was big.  But honestly in fairness. "The Dark Knight" was a more bigger film from the jump as far as opening weekend.  "Avatar" ended up having more staying power but TDK had a great mutipiler too. Remeber, at the time "Avatar" couldn't top "I am Legend" December opening weekend.  When it came in at 75, most people had it finishing about 250 (they were wrong but it seemed logical at the time).  "Avatar" overall is the bigger film and it's box office run was historic.  But as someone who's followed Box Office since I was 18.  I'm still amazed by "TDK" run. I remember that 1st week and half it seemed sold out everyday.  What shocked me most about Avatar's run was it's 1st  weekend holds were unbelieveable.  Only "Titanic" and "E.T" had great holds like that over that many weekends. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1