Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Except the Avatar 2D Blu-ray was one of the best sellers of the year (and a technical benchmark as well that get played on repeat in every TV retailers worldwide to sell a dozen HD home cinema combos a day) and it wasn't in 3D.

And I'm not even talking about DVD...

So BKB, you fail hard.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

People would've purchased it anyway just to add it to the James Cameron collection along with TITANIC and the Terminator  movies, so no, I didn't fail.. If anything, everyone else has failed in common logic in favor of honestly telling themselves that 3D wasn't the sole resposubility for AVATAR'S box office run.. You'd have to be naive to think otherwise and the sequels decline in box office will only cement this, all 4 sequels no one asked for either...

You fail because you said the movie was only successful thanks to 3D but how do you explain people buying the 2D edition so massively then setting sales records?

That means they liked the story and the movie as a whole beyond the 3D experience. You're wrong in saying 3D was the only factor. Obviously DVD and 2D Blu-ray sales tell another story...

Edited by dashrendar44

Well of course it will Neo, but under no circumstances is this sequel to a basically forgotten movie going to make no 4B WW much less 3B.. I appreicate the dudes passion for this, but this so called "juggernaught" stuff is getting or has become a bunch of nonsense..

Will make closer to 3B than 1.5B.

Oh for God sake, BULLSHIT and I'll prove it wrong.. Give me a moment:

http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/02/03/pandoras-box-office-6-secrets-to-avatars-success/

And there you go, just like I said.. Read it and weep folks and once again, unless somerhing comes along better than the 3D concept, then it won't be any better than the standard sequel, excluding TA2..

Total bias like usual. ...But TA2. Come on, not again. What was TA competition on its 2nd weekend? Using rating as a excuse for $$$ beyond laughable.

They purchased the 2D over the 3D Dash cause 3D at home isn't the same theatre going experience as seeing it on a 50 foot big screen.. Keep trying Dash, but you know what I'm saying is true: 3D SOLD AVATAR.. Take that away and the movie would've SUCKED..

Just like if you take 3D premium off Avengers gross, it would not have hit a billion and it would suck, right?

I don't think you realized that if you take that 3D premium off Avatar's gross, Avatar gross without the 3D premium WW still nuke Avengers gross WW with 3D premium.

This fact proved you're wrong, people liked Avatar the movie as a whole experience and 3D wasn't the only one factor.

Edited by dashrendar44

They adored the 3D that was introduced to it and enough to see and experience over and over to propell it to the  number it achieved.. If the audience adored the story so much, how come the movie is pretty much forgotten??? :popcorn: 

Forgotten? Again what does that have to do with future box office sales? Movies tend not be marketed 3 years out, you know that right? Lets have this discussion again come Summer 2016.

You and everyone else will have no other choice but to accept this as the truth when the sequels don't do near as well as the 1st movie and for very obvious reasons..

If you didn't like the 1.5B bet, what # do you want?

On the contrary, The AVENGERS would've made what it did with or without the 3D cause it was the 1st of it's kind to usher in the BIG superhero teamup movie.. The 3D was simply there as an option..

So would have Avatar made the same? You do understand that if you sell 1000 tickets at 3D/2D prices the total will be more than if all of them were in 2D?

No.. AVATAR wouldn't have made the same in 2D cause it wasn't meant to be seen in 2D Neo.. The whole purpose of AVATAR was to showcase the 3D to the masses, no matter how shitty the plot could've or would've been, no matter what.. They marketed the 3D in this movie as the Second Coming of Christ and because of that, it made what it did.. This is appleas and oranges folks and I can't fucking believe I'm having to hammer this one home as hard as what I am cause it's pretty much common sense and a no brainer, but whatever.. Anything to keep this stupid thread going for 1000 pages, I'm game..

Do you admit that TA wouldn't have made what it did w/out 3D?

So would have Avatar made the same? You do understand that if you sell 1000 tickets at 3D/2D prices the total will be more than if all of them were in 2D?

What hes saying is that 3D wasn't a draw or a big factor in TA's WOM/reception, I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  Would the overall total be a bit lower without the 3D premiums as a side option? Of course.

What you, BKB, don't understand at all is that people didn't watch the movie 148624885 times just for 3D only. There were 3D shows sold out like crazy so a lot of people saw it in 2D as well in theaters. People liked the story along the visuals in the ride.

And still Avatar without 3D premium gross WW > Avengers + 3D premium WW

Deal with it.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

What hes saying is that 3D wasn't a draw or a big factor in TA's WOM/reception, I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  Would the overall total be a bit lower without the 3D premiums as a side option? Of course.

Still would have been less.

What you, BKB, don't understand at all is that people didn't watch the movie 148624885 times just for 3D only. There were 3D shows sold out like crazy so a lot of people saw it in 2D as well in theaters. People liked the story along the visuals in the ride.

And still Avatar without 3D premium gross WW > Avengers + 3D premium WW

Deal with it.

This. It was a combination of multiple factors, not since Titanic (see what I did there) has this been seen.

• Like 1

The AVENGERS was meant to be a massive success that it was, with or without 3D Neo.. It would've always made what it did in 2D and the 3D was nothing more than an option, a throwaway that was deemed useless..

You don't understand that 1000 tickets sold with 3D is more than a 1000 tickets sold with 2D prices? Tell me you understand this. Magically tickets aren't going to appear if 3D is not an option.

• Like 1

You don't understand that 1000 tickets sold with 3D is more than a 1000 tickets sold with 2D prices? Tell me you understand this. Magically tickets aren't going to appear if 3D is not an option.

BKB doesn't get mathematics at all.

Avengers would never have grossed the amount it grossed without 3D boost.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2