Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Beating LOTR in 2 movies matters why? It will be a 10 year difference the OS markets have greatly changed. 15B won't happen with 4 movies should top out at max 13B. LOTR2 debatable as FOTR to me and others was a better movie. More than the ones you have listed beat Cameron films sorry to say. Box office =/= quality.

Many many many film buffs will disagree with you there my racoon loving friend.

As No LOTR Film can beat the quality overal of Titanic, Terminator 2 and Avatar  and Aliens.

T Though I think LOTR 2 and 3 , would tie with films like Aliens....in quality and certainly beat out

the pants of aliens at the box  office. Cant believe you think LOTR  beats Titanic and Avatar.

Hell no, they are not quite as epic and they werent original and game changing like the big 2..

In fact Harry Potter started this incredible mega Fantasy BO and quality phase of movie making I believe(Well in the modern era)

SWS  was the first  Mega Epic/Fantasy saga.

Ahaha Neo ... Correction my friend.. Aliens is directed by James Cameron... Its the biggest one in

ticket sales also. :)(Alien  is the Ridley Scott One

Budget $18.5 million[2] Box office $131,060,248[3

^^^ James Cameron's Master piece

:)

• Like 1

Beating LOTR in 2 movies matters why? It will be a 10 year difference the OS markets have greatly changed. 15B won't happen with 4 movies should top out at max 13B. LOTR2 debatable as FOTR to me and others was a better movie. More than the ones you have listed beat Cameron films sorry to say. Box office =/= quality.

Also James Cameron films have more worldwide film awards for quality around the world than all of the  LOTR  films.

for a reason :P.. Not to mention Titanic has sold more tickets than any other film period.. Even Avatar

Peter Jackson is not a brand who is respected or quite as loved as James Cameron. LOTR was PJ at his best.

He has never managed to do anything on that level again Neo.

Cameron constantly ups the anty on the market in game changing and technology and shows you can havequa

quality with your mega spectacle consistently. Cameron (Terminator,  Terminator 2, the Abyss, Titanic, Avatar

Aliens are in most movie goers top 5-top 20 all time best) :)

Many many many film buffs will disagree with you there my racoon loving friend.

As No LOTR Film can beat the quality overal of Titanic, Terminator 2 and Avatar  and Aliens.

T Though I think LOTR 2 and 3 , would tie with films like Aliens....in quality and certainly beat out

the pants of aliens at the box  office. Cant believe you think LOTR  beats Titanic and Avatar.

Hell no, they are not quite as epic and they werent original and game changing like the big 2..

In fact Harry Potter started this incredible mega Fantasy BO and quality phase of movie making I believe(Well in the modern era)

SWS  was the first  Mega Epic/Fantasy saga.

Hard to debate opinion as neither of us will change our minds, but yes FOTR is up there with Titanic, as ROTK with Avatar. Lets hope Avatar gives us Godfather II, Braveheart or Shawshank quality.

Also James Cameron films have more worldwide film awards for quality around the world than all of the  LOTR  films.

for a reason :P.. Not to mention Titanic has sold more tickets than any other film period.. Even Avatar

Peter Jackson is not a brand who is respected or quite as loved as James Cameron. LOTR was PJ at his best.

He has never managed to do anything on that level again Neo.

Cameron constantly ups the anty on the market in game changing and technology and shows you can havequa

quality with your mega spectacle consistently. Cameron (Terminator,  Terminator 2, the Abyss, Titanic, Avatar

Aliens are in most movie goers top 5-top 20 all time best) :)

Why is being a brand matter? Its the movie that is the brand.

No I believe you take away James Cameron the movies would have far less weight to them my friend. This is material coming from a creator of a wonderful universe from someone who has never drop the ball and given the world a less than stellar movie.

So no when your name is James Cameron, your pretty much the most powerful filmmaker on the planet. Able to give studio mega billions back to back is something not even Speilberg can say. James Cameron is going to do it 3 times in a row! :)

You wil also notice while Steven is still a huge brand, his fan following has dropped off a bit... Cameron's for the most part stays with him and continues to grow when he puts all efforts out for Mega projects.

Like Josh Whedon has said Neo... There is Cameron and theres the rest of the filmmaker world.. :)

Hard to debate opinion as neither of us will change our minds, but yes FOTR is up there with Titanic, as ROTK with Avatar. Lets hope Avatar gives us Godfather II, Braveheart or Shawshank quality.

Towers ties with some films in my top 5, but no its not quite as grand.. Didnt win the film awards, didnt come close to beating Whitney Houstons  Album Sales. FOTR did not get 13 oscars either .... I agree its a matter of opinion, but Titanic is in a league by itself..

You dont see too many films that are near 4hrs long that people of all ages keep going back to theater again and again and again to see when your paying 6-9.00 a pop. :)

FOTR brought no tears to anyone eyes , but I could hardly look and see someone that wasnt crying on nearly every viewing of Titanic Good buddy..  I say nay...FOTR is not inTitanics league. But its pretty darn close :).. Though my Favorites are Towers , then ROTK. :)

The fans are also not following PJ for all his film...Hence KK, and hes gone back to the world of LOTR. And even Hobbit is underperforming(it got  spanked by Iron man 3 and is not winning the year as folks  thought it would)

Avatar 2 in comparison will either be number 2 or number 1 all time domestically and worldwide again... That is just insane.

Hmm  I also thought Avatar I as a whole was a far far better film experience than any LOTR film.. THough I agree lets up

for  more intricate story with part 2.  The last scenes  of Titanic and Avatar (My Jakeee, The falling of Home Tree-- are the stuff of the legend)

Fans are following Cameron , weither he does romance, scifi, Weird epics out of his mind with blue cat people.

See the difference Im talking about

PS I loved Braveheart( Good pick) Forrest Gump and the last two  Cameron epics are better though  in my opion.Still definitely some legendary filmmaking Mel put out there. To me the greatest films set records and sweep up the entire world in one way or the other.

Oh and Trudy looks like she is back as well in Avatar 2.. Rodriguez is dropping hints and it seems shes back..Keep your fingers crossed.

Neo and all our Avatar family. Hey her character survived death in FF, so why not in the biggest sequel the world has ever seen. :)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_Trudy_Chacon_be_in_Avatar_2

Jackson also didnt come up with concept of LOTR like Cameron with the films. There have been many films on titanic, only one wowed the world. There has never been a film like Terminator 1 and 2--All Cameron.

Even more bizarre is the concept of Avatar, but it defies logic and beats the film that not even our HP 7 part 2 could break with 3D and higer premieum Prices :)

Towers ties with some films in my top 5, but no its not quite as grand.. Didnt win the film awards, didnt come close to beating Whitney Houstons  Album Sales. FOTR did not get 13 oscars either .... I agree its a matter of opinion, but Titanic is in a league by itself..

You dont see too many films that are near 4hrs long that people of all ages keep going back to theater again and again and again to see when your paying 6-9.00 a pop. :)

FOTR brought no tears to anyone eyes , but I could hardly look and see someone that wasnt crying on nearly every viewing of Titanic Good buddy..  I say nay...FOTR is not inTitanics league. But its pretty darn close :).. Though my Favorites are Towers , then ROTK. :)

The fans are also not following PJ for all his film...Hence KK, and hes gone back to the world of LOTR. And even Hobbit is underperforming(it got  spanked by Iron man 3 and is not winning the year as folks  thought it would)

Avatar 2 in comparison will either be number 2 or number 1 all time domestically and worldwide again... That is just insane.

Hmm  I also thought Avatar I as a whole was a far far better film experience than any LOTR film.. THough I agree lets up

for  more intricate story with part 2.  The last scenes  of Titanic and Avatar (My Jakeee, The falling of Home Tree-- are the stuff of the legend)

Fans are following Cameron , weither he does romance, scifi, Weird epics out of his mind with blue cat people.

See the difference Im talking about

As we know film award equals quality right? Who cares about Whitney cd sales. Near 4 hours? Try 3:30. So you were there in every theater every seat for every showing of FOTR?

Jackson also didnt come up with concept of LOTR like Cameron with the films. There have been many films on titanic, only one wowed the world. There has never been a film like Terminator 1 and 2--All Cameron.

Even more bizarre is the concept of Avatar, but it defies logic and beats the film that not even our HP 7 part 2 could break with 3D and higer premieum Prices :)

Cameron didn't come up with the concept of Titanic and Cameron took ideas from other sources for Avatar.

Edited by Neo

Well, considering how much Avatar is still talked about (or rather, not talked about...) compared to its near 3 billion gross, I say they have to worry if the sequels drops a half :stirthepot:

Considering that Avatar has both the smallest attendance (domestically, at least) and the least cultural impact (kids don't care about Avatar toys) of any movie to hold the all-time box office crown, I don't see how the sequels aren't in store for a huge drop. But even if A2 drops to $500m in NA it'll still make $2.5b WW, so Cameron won't be suffering.

Considering that Avatar has both the smallest attendance (domestically, at least) and the least cultural impact (kids don't care about Avatar toys) of any movie to hold the all-time box office crown, I don't see how the sequels aren't in store for a huge drop. But even if A2 drops to $500m in NA it'll still make $2.5b WW, so Cameron won't be suffering.

Why does smallest attendance have any bearing on a drop? Wouldn't the opposite be true?

Why does smallest attendance have any bearing on a drop? Wouldn't the opposite be true?

Less people to come back for the sequel? The first film's box office was inflated by 3D and the novelty factor. Even a small drop in attendance for the sequel could lead to huge drop in BO since we know that A2 won't have 3D screens all to itself for three months like the first one did. 

There are way more 3D screens than back in 2009, it doesn't need to have all the screens to itself. If people are told the 3D is great they will forget that they hate 3D and check it out in that format (like the sheep they are  ;)as Gravity proved.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

I'm assuming you are just going by Domestic attendance because WW, Avatar's attendance was pretty monstrous.

• Like 1