Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

In terms of doing sequels versus "something new".... this is a world Cameron enjoys being in. It's the first universe he's created where he has total control of it (he never held the rights to the Terminator franchise). And it's a chance for him to also incorporate many things he's passionate about in real life: ecosystems, environmental issues, deep sea exploration, space exploration, etc. So it's not surprising he wants to fully play around in the Avatar-verse for awhile.

• Like 3

This film is going to gross more than 100M more than Star Wars 7

SW7: 435M

Yep and Im thinking much more than Ethan my brother in arms.. The range is off the charts minimum 550-640M,

Highend 670-850+M,, OS OMG...at that.. If Transformers 4 did 300+M in china Avatar might do 450-500M over there alone.

The BO OS is going to be sick. 2.5-2.9B OS alone

• Like 1

The online meltdowns would be epic like when TPM failed to beat Titanic.

Lol failed, a faking embarrasment ass whopping that was epic.. To think James next movie with such a weird concept easily destroys the PM, SWS, almost all 3 LOTRs combined LOL...

And these Cameron haters really think any of their films have a chance...

Hah hah.. I think folks will start weeping once Avengers makes its 520-550M domestic and Avatar keeps churning with steam over 650M domestic. :)

• Like 2

Yep and Im thinking much more than Ethan my brother in arms.. The range is off the charts minimum 550-640M,Highend 670-850+M,, OS OMG...at that.. If Transformers 4 did 300+M in china Avatar might do 450-500M over there alone. The BO OS is going to be sick. 2.5-2.9B OS alone

This one is gonna do great but sadly I can't see it doing as well ad the first. We well see though my friend.
  • Like 1

This one is gonna do great but sadly I can't see it doing as well ad the first. We well see though my friend.

Just look at the sequel history good buddy.. Termintor 6-10m... Terminator 2 200+M and 500+M W...

Aliens way over its predecessors.... I like our chances always bet on Cameron.. OS is going to increase without a doubt. Avatar broke the 100M barrier in like 7-8 countries.. Austraila has never seen its equal.. First film to make a 100M US in that country for instance.

If Transformers makes 300M in China.. Avatar 2 can almost if not double that..

All these films failing in Japan except Frozen..Avatar will destroy Frozens gross.. Proably make 300-400M in Japan as well

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 2

Rem much smaller screeens than Transformers in china, domestically and OS...  What will avatar 2 do with the same kind of screens as Avengers and Transformers... Avatar in 2500-3000TC makes 760M, and far less OS but makes 2B+ OS. :D

I think increases will happen across the board.. The anticipation and obssession for Pandora is draw dropping.

• Like 2

Avengers 1 and 2, now those are movies nobody cares about in my family. Do I use that anecdotal evidence to draw conclusion about their prospects? Hell, no. But I doubt grandmas rushed to watch Avengers with their daughters in theaters then lurked at the Blu-Ray confessing how beautiful the movie was. That's a whole lot of a potential demographics those CBM won't tap into as much as Cameron managed to do two times in a row, that's his little secret and that's what male fanboys online still don't grasp or hate about him, that universal appeal marrying epic action, romance and adventure breaking through all quadrants effortlessly especially women, young and mature.

Rem the bullshit on BOM Dash and other sites. Oh it was a fluke the japanese and all the girls  helped Titanic that big lol...

ROFL.... As always it Cameron that makes the stars, not the other way around.. (Wink)

• Like 1

Yep but if anyone can have a mega sequel increase on all fronts it will be Cameron... :)

Still when your film is  near lock for 2.3-2.6B is anyone really going to complain if it fails to miss 3Billion at the box office lol

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 2

You didn't get my point.

The point is not my dad/my mum/my cat/my gerbil likes it or not. It's that a grandma I'm not linked to whatsoever, a total stranger confesses to one another total stranger that she went to see Avatar in theaters with her greatdaughter and that she loved it enough to reassert her love while watching a Blu-ray presentation months after release. It goes to show the demographics Avatar has reached, well beyond what is common for a scifi/fantasy movie (I doubt you saw grandmas gladly attending SW or LOTR showings with their greatdaughters) and that the appreciation didn't vanish magically once it hit home cinema market so for someone to say that nobody liked it past release using male demographics online he belongs to as the reference point to argue that Avatar's impact is non-existent and don't bode well for a sequel is totally ludicrous.

I got your point.

No shit the original reached beyond the usual sci-fi demo. Its numbers are indisputable. 

But your example is still simply anecdotal evidence, and your anecdotal evidence isn't any more valuable than anyone else's anecdotal evidence. It proves jack shit. 

We all have our ideas of how the film is perceived, which is partially based on our experiences, but more so is based in confirmation bias. Those who don't like the film will remember those experiences which align with their views, but conversely, people who liked the film will also confirm their opinions through selective memory. 

As someone who didn't love or hate the film, I think that for a film that made so much money, it's not nearly as well-liked or ingrained into popular culture as it should be. It's not Titanic. Hell, I'd say it's not even The Dark Knight or The Avengers. I think the original was a bit of a novelty that did its business because of its visuals and look but not its storyline or characters, which is what people ultimately remember years later. I'd say the same for Gravity.

I think that Cameron is going to have to recreate the novelty of the experience if the sequel is going to even approach the numbers of the original. He's Cameron, so there's a good chance he does. But that's all just my opinion, and we all know how much that's worth.

• Like 1

I got your point.

No shit the original reached beyond the usual sci-fi demo. Its numbers are indisputable. 

But your example is still simply anecdotal evidence, and your anecdotal evidence isn't any more valuable than anyone else's anecdotal evidence. It proves jack shit

So my "anecdotal" evidence that proves that the original expanded beyond the usual sci-fi demo (that was my point you're actually agreeing with) proves jack shit? :unsure:

What I'm arguing is that people saying Avatar is forgotten/unliked/overrated/unpopular are underestimating that demo Avatar managed to tap into and I think that demo is eager to return for another entry if it delivers.(Unless they die before due to Cameron's long process...)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

In terms of doing sequels versus "something new".... this is a world Cameron enjoys being in. It's the first universe he's created where he has total control of it (he never held the rights to the Terminator franchise). And it's a chance for him to also incorporate many things he's passionate about in real life: ecosystems, environmental issues, deep sea exploration, space exploration, etc. So it's not surprising he wants to fully play around in the Avatar-verse for awhile.

He never held the rights to Terminator but that didn't change the fact that it was a 100% Cameron creature.

• Like 1