Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I just don't think Avatar has the stickiness that mega-cult franchises like Star Wars have retained over the years. I've heard people talk disparagingly about the film ('blue people', ferngully/dancing with wolves, etc) years later. I am just skeptical that it has a mass following. The more I think about it, I think $500m is ridiculously high. What made those weekend drops so low was the novelty factor. Avatar 2 will be big but $400-500m big. Again, I loved it. Saw it 6x in theaters. I am not a hater, just a realist.

400-500 is reasonable, I think it'll be closer to 500, say 480-530. I won't be surprised if it grosses a bit lower than that or even a bit higher
  • Like 1

I dunno, I have a feeling the drop from Avatar/Avatar 2 is going to come close to that of Jurassic Park/The Lost World or The Phantom Menace/Attack of the Clones...

Alot of people that dont study how much support James Cameron gets at the BOX office say that.. Please do your research before posting...

Lil Mac and the haters of Avatar 2 and yourself are going to get a wake up call. SWS.. When SWS can average 2-3 billion worldwide a film in this generation or Avengers or LOTR...

Then we talk about their relevance... When I look on movie forums FB.. There are FB pages with 40million people saying Avatar is the greatest movie experience of all time .. They rave about the story, the visuals , the music, the director skills of Cameron.

You really think these same people wont be coming back..

LOL..  Maybe you all would  have a prayer if the same man behind Avatar and his team last movie didnt adjust to 1.1B Domestic and over 4B WW.. LOl ( All you have to do is figure what  Titanic would have done in 1997 with 3D prices  and the expansion of today OS--ROFL)

The domestic number in one run is isane... Once those ads start its over for all challengers.. When Fox game James nearly 500+M just to start work on the first 2 films, you know whats up.  The franchise will cost proably close to a billion or more, but will make  12-15+B WW just from the movies and lord knows how much billions from the merchandising..

HP taking 7 movies made only 8B LOL in comparison. SWS with tons of reissues still hasnt reached 5B WW

Edited by Superman001

Alot of people that dont study how much support James Cameron gets at the BOX office say that.. Please do your research before posting...Lil Mac and the haters of Avatar 2 and yourself are going to get a wake up call. SWS.. When SWS can average 2-3 billion worldwide a film in this generation or Avengers or LOTR...Then we talk about their relevance... When I look on movie forums FB.. There are FB pages with 40million people saying Avatar is the greatest movie experience of all time .. They rave about the story, the visuals , the music, the director skills of Cameron.You really think these same people wont be coming back..LOL.. Maybe you all would have a prayer if the same man behind Avatar and his team last movie didnt adjust to 1.1B Domestic and over 4B WW.. LOl ( All you have to do is figure what Titanic would have done in 1997 with 3D prices and the expansion of today OS--ROFL)The domestic number in one run is isane... Once those ads start its over for all challengers.. When Fox game James nearly 500+M just to start work on the first 2 films, you know whats up. The franchise will cost proably close to a billion or more, but will make 12-15+B WW just from the movies and lord knows how much billions from the merchandising..HP taking 7 movies made only 8B LOL in comparison. SWS with tons of reissues still hasnt reached 5B WW

So what are your official predicts? OD/OW/DOM/OS/WW?

wouldn't it be Avatar 2< TDKI would be out.

TDK has no chance at all standing.. Thats funny. lol

Im wondering if Avengers 2 can keep the domestic gap within 100M lol... Very unlikely lol. James Cameron and Avatar does what TDK And AVengers fail to do.. Get  all the quadrants even the golden age  coming back from more.

And man those Terminator 2, Aliens,  Avatar and Titanic Loyalists to Cameron  going to push the king of the behemoths BO might even further.

Never has a director earned a domestic and worldwide following as loyal.. Holy shit!!

So what are your official predicts? OD/OW/DOM/OS/WW?

My predicts are 840M Domestic,.. OW 155,  OS 2.8B.. 

Worldwide an Astounding 3.6B WW... Man I hope we can go way beyond my domestic number and OS number though. I mean look how small Avatar showings were in comparison to Avengers.. That is what is scary.. Im sure Fox is going to have Avatar 2 in 4000+ TC domestic and , OS it will be  a launch that would make any 2 LOTRS  salvate.

Folks keep forgettign Avatar I was in 2000+ and expanded to 2500-3000 + screens domestic and made 760M!! LOL.

3800-4000+TCs for Avatar 2 domestic and a James Cameron multiplier of 7-9X

== Holy shit!!

Enter the prize game DAJK.. You need OW, Domestic and OS and WW.

Then you can enter your predicts for MOS 2, Avengers and SW7 for extra points for other prizes. :)

Game Closes days before  Avengers 2 hits. :).

Hoping Avatar 2 can surpass my domestic and OS predicts bigtime.. But I will be happy for 700-750M .

I think minimum Avatar2 gets is 650M-700M domestically, but somehow Im thinking knowing James Cameron its going to increase to insane levels.

Edited by Superman001

wouldn't it be Avatar 2< TDKI would be out.

Us James Cameron fans  know whats coming lol.

Jay is going to be crying as we will beat TDK by at least 100-200M domestically alone  and OS we will  more than quadruple  TDKS 530M domestic tally lol.

I mean who the hell dare compares TDK to Avatar.. Its not even on the same level in quality or impact on the world.

And OMG at the the HV sales of Avatar vs TDK, Avengers or Spidey...  :P..

Sorry Jay I cant wait to see how far that club fails. :)

Edited by Superman001

I just don't think Avatar has the stickiness that mega-cult franchises like Star Wars have retained over the years. I've heard people talk disparagingly about the film ('blue people', ferngully/dancing with wolves, etc) years later. I am just skeptical that it has a mass following.The more I think about it, I think $500m is ridiculously high. What made those weekend drops so low was the novelty factor. Avatar 2 will be big but $400-500m big.Again, I loved it. Saw it 6x in theaters. I am not a hater, just a realist.

Explain how 13 yrs later SWS fails to beat anything close to to titanic #s and James cameron beats it with ease and creates a franchise whose first film matches almost the entire LOTR triology lol.

Come on now lil mac you sound like a hater to me... There is nothing logical about yoru statement. Avatar has sold almost 50M units on HV dude..LOL

And I think you better check the FB pages and Youtube views of all the people saying they goin to see the sequel 5-10+ times..

Hah hah... Epic Fail for you sir.

My predicts are 840M Domestic,.. OW 155, OS 2.8B.. Worldwide an Astounding 3.6B WW... Man I hope we can go way beyond my domestic number and OS number though. I mean look how small Avatar showings were in comparison to Avengers.. That is what is scary.. Im sure Fox is going to have Avatar 2 in 4000+ TC domestic and , OS it will be a launch that would make any 2 LOTRS salvate.Folks keep forgettign Avatar I was in 2000+ and expanded to 2500-3000 + screens domestic and made 760M!! LOL.3800-4000+TCs for Avatar 2 domestic and a James Cameron multiplier of 7-9X== Holy shit!!

Wow okay you really have faith in this movie :pWhere do you think the domestic increase will come from? Not saying it won't happen, it obviously (could) but remember when catching fire was coming out, and people were saying how it would decrease or stay flat? The thought was that when you basically reach the ceiling for the first one, where do you go from there? Sure CF did outgrows THG, but by only 20M.OS the first one was obviously huge, and extremely leggy. I think partly because of the novelty... do you think the novelty of Avatar may have work off? How do you think Cameron will recapture that? What do you think the OS/WW OW will be?

Avatars 2 is an intriguing box office puzzle.  Normally, i'd be inclined to go with those that think a sequel for a ginormous box office success like Avatars would have no chance of coming close to the first movie's gross. 

But it's hard to be on the other side of a bet against James freaking Cameron, and call for a 20%+ drop.  The man's sequels are incredible cinematic experiences.  Aliens and Terminator 2 should rank in everyone's top 5 sci fi films of all time. 

Personally, i thought Avatar was a little too long and a little too hokey (squirm inducing moments where the Native American metaphor was seriously ham handed).  But despite this, i couldn't stop watching the film and not because of its visuals.  Cameron just knows how to get the audience to care about the characters, both the good guys and the bad guys. 

And it's not like Avatar is some burnt out, fatigued franchise that's been through its 850245th reboot or 522345 sequel. 

This prediction is a toughie.

Join us Katiniss .... James Cameron is the Film God.... When he talks about a mega project they will come...

Titanic , Avatar --Greatest epics ever made.... And then you still have Terminator 2 and Terminator and Aliens and Abyss to think about... WOW.. Even True Lies was a comeback vehicle and a breakthrough for Arnold as we have never before seen him... :)

Wow okay you really have faith in this movie :PWhere do you think the domestic increase will come from? Not saying it won't happen, it obviously (could) but remember when catching fire was coming out, and people were saying how it would decrease or stay flat? The thought was that when you basically reach the ceiling for the first one, where do you go from there? Sure CF did outgrows THG, but by only 20M.OS the first one was obviously huge, and extremely leggy. I think partly because of the novelty... do you think the novelty of Avatar may have work off? How do you think Cameron will recapture that? What do you think the OS/WW OW will be?

Im thinking it could be the worlds first 140-155+ OW in december :).. And have an amazing 7-8x+ Multiplier.

Last 2 films of James Cameron. Titanic 20x multiplier!!, Avatar ==Damn again 9.8X multiplier!!

It will come from the sheer sense memory of your experience of everything about avatar, the music, the story,  the beats of the storyline. And just to see what this man gives us next..

Not to mention I dont know any film that sells so much merchandise and HV units that has decreased.. ANd unlike Lucas and Speilberg James Cameron doesnt make lemons in his sequels or any of his films.

The dude is perfection!

Im thinking it could be the worlds first 140-155+ OW in december :).. And have an amazing 7-8x+ Multiplier.Last 2 films of James Cameron. Titanic 20x multiplier!!, Avatar ==Damn again 9.8X multiplier!!It will come from the sheer sense memory of your experience of everything about avatar, the music, the story, the beats of the storyline. And just to see what this man gives us next..Not to mention I dont know any film that sells so much merchandise and HV units that has decreased.. ANd unlike Lucas and Speilberg James Cameron doesnt make lemons in his sequels or any of his films.The dude is perfection!

That would be quite a BO run to track :)

I'm assuming that means it's a low estimate.   :)

I think Avatar's success was mostly due to the film being something visually new as well as its expert use of 3D.  It was an experience.  The sequels have neither of those advantages.

Lol your logic is fleeting.. The sequel has James Cameron and his ability to push the treshold.. What your normal directors can do with 3D he can spin a thousand different ways.. This is the apex predator of filming lil mac.. and the dude that did Titanic and  Terminator 2.. Im sorry but your statement makes little sense.

Anything James does big  no fan can stay away.

You will be there watching it 3-5 times, and I will be there watching it 7-10+ times if and so will be the masses. :)

Did I mention Avatar won almost 100+ film awards for including best picture , best director,  etc.. Not your average mega blockbuster. Heck they robbed him or Avatar would have gotten best picture at the oscars and best director.

It won all the top golden globes, so everyone was shocked they didnt give Avatar most of the awards at th oscars as well

Edited by Superman001

That would be quite a BO run to track :)

yep you know whats crazy a 140M OW with an 7-8x multi could mean a 900-1 billion domestic.. How about that for another jaw dropping run lol.

I dont think this will get less than a 140-150+M OW and some think it could be a 160-200M OW for Avatar 2 in freaking december!!

:).. Imagine if it holds for an Avatar like multiplier with 150+M OW DAJK..

Geesus!

Man have you ever been present to when a sequel is a lock for 2.2billion+ and has a chance for 3B+ WW...

Only James Cameron  can pull this off. Look at the debates of this thread and the film is still 2 yrs away almost lol

Edited by Superman001

Lol your logic is fleeting.. The sequel has James Cameron and his ability to push the treshold.. What your normal directors can do with 3D he can spin a thousand different ways.. This is the apex predator of filming lil mac.. and the dude that did Terminator 2.. Im sorry but your statement makes little sense. Anything James does big no fan can stay away.You will be there watching it 3-5 times, and I will be there watching it7-10+ times if good and so will be the masses. :)

If Avatar 2 can push the boundaries of technology like the first one, I can see the novelty being renewed. That being said, the novelty of the FX and 3D played a huge part in the films legs. Avatar 2 will have to do something new to get everyone back, I just don't think it'll get as many people in the theatre if its visually more or less the same as the first

yep you know whats crazy a 140M OW with an 7-8x multi could mean a 900-1 billion domestic.. How about that for another jaw dropping run lol. I dont think this will get less than a 140-150+M OW and some think it could be a 160-200M OW for Avatar 2 in freaking december!! :).. Imagine if it holds for an Avatar like multiplier with 150+M OW DAJK..Geesus!Man have you ever been present to when a sequel is a lock for 2.2billion+ and has a chance for 3B+ WW...Only James Cameron can pull this off. Look at the debates of this thread and the film is still 2 yrs away almost lol

Never even payed any attention to BO numbers back in 2009, so I missed Avatar's run :(