Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

22 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

No use arguing with these people IronJim - they're the same people who thought Hillary had the Presidency in the bag. 

...really? Are we just gonna go there? Like, REALLY? Is that what we're just gonna do when we're not agreeing w/what we see? Ok sure. Have fun.

You do know that Clinton technically had more votes, btw? She had, like... millions more. And the popular vote procedure works much closer to box office than the way the actual elections work. Just saying. Juuuuuust saying.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

...really? Are we just gonna go there? Like, REALLY? Ok sure. Have fun.

You do know that Clinton technically had more votes, btw? She had, like... millions more. And the popular vote procedure works much closer to box office than the way the actual elections work. Just saying. Juuuuuust saying.

I'm merely making the point that people who doubt JC have a history of being out of touch with reality. 

Your point is of course redundant, with the USA not being a direct democracy, although I'm sure you already knew that. 

• Like 2

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'm merely making the point that people who doubt JC have a history of being out of touch with reality. 

Your point is of course redundant, with the USA not being a direct democracy, although I'm sure you already knew that. 

Yeah, I do know that, and it's fucking stupid, especially coming from a country that is supposedly all about democracy... but oh well. I'm not even American, so yeah, what do I know.

And we've gotten to the point where people who overestimate JC might be in a reality of their own. I said it: Avatar 2 is gonna do well. I'm expecting at least 500M DOM and over 1.5B WW from that thing. But historically, big sequels always drop from big originals. And Avatar 2 is going against Star Wars, which is not gonna help its case. You guys make it look like Avatar 2 is gonna cross 1B DOM alone, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon. Jesus Goddamn Christ.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, I do know that, and it's fucking stupid, especially coming from a country that is supposedly all about democracy... but oh well. I'm not even American, so yeah, what do I know.

And we've gotten to the point where people who overestimate JC might be in a reality of their own. I said it: Avatar 2 is gonna do well. I'm expecting at least 500M DOM and over 1.5B WW from that thing. But historically, big sequels always drop from big originals. And Avatar 2 is going against Star Wars, which is not gonna help its case. You guys make it look like Avatar 2 is gonna cross 1B DOM alone, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon. Jesus Goddamn Christ.

2018/2019 is going to be glorious.

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

But historically, big sequels always drop from big originals.

You mean non-James Cameron sequels. Aliens and T2 both did better than the first movies. 

I think you'd do well to stop treating Jim as a regular director, and look at the actual evidence instead of making broad statements.  

If what he has done in the past were so easy it would have been repeated by now (by someone other than Jim himself of course). 

• Like 2

You mean non-James Cameron sequels. Aliens and T2 both did better than the first movies. 

I think you'd do well to stop treating Jim as a regular director, and look at the actual evidence instead of making broad statements.  

If what he has done in the past were so easy it would have been repeated by now (by someone other than Jim himself of course). 

qZx3L92.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

2018/2019 is going to be glorious.

I just look forward to the day when all of the anglo-american centrism we see in movie making fades away. 

Of course, the blind following of the inferior (although without question still successful), 'just focus on the west' model will hopefully end when people outside certain circles realize it isn't the be all and end all of cinema. 

• Like 1

I've never seen a more pretentious douchebag on these forums...

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Alien and The Terminator both had significantly lower grosses and better reception.  Avatar was the highest grossing movie of all time.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I've never seen a more pretentious douchebag on these forums...

Alien and The Terminator both had significantly lower grosses and better reception.  Avatar was the highest grossing movie of all time.

The best you can do is commit a banal ad hominem and then rephrase what I already stated? Are you some kind of bot? 

Although it doesn't surprise me that JC detractors can't really fall back onto evidence in these kind of arguments, they find great solace in their delusions by the looks of it. 

• Like 1

Alright, that's true. And hey, Aliens and T2 are Cameron's best movies, so they deserve big success. Buuuuuuuuut, yeah here's the thing...

Alien (1979) - 78.9M -> Aliens (1986) - 85.2M

INFLATION ADJUSTED: Alien - 267.7M -> Aliens - 195.3M

WW: Alien - 102.9M -> Aliens - 131.1M

So, the increase wasn't THAT big considering the 7 year difference, and adjusted for inflation, it considerably decreased.

I'll absolutely give you Terminator, though, the 1st one wasn't a big deal whatsoever and the 2nd exploded. But there you go right there: T1 WASN'T a big deal at the box office. And not only T2 brought significant changes to the way visual effects work, and it was not a sequel to one of the biggest hits of all time, so it didn't have to worry about living up to it numbers wise. By the time we had made it to T2, Schwarzenegger had many a hits (Total Recall, Twins, Predator to name a few), so on the virtue of his name, T2 almost beat T1 on OW alone. Thing is: T1's DOM run was under 40M anyway.

Thereby, the comparision between Terminator and Avatar is also moot, because T1 wasn't anywhere near one of the highest grossing films ever even at the time. Avatar is a completely different story. In order to increase, Avatar 2 has to live up to a 700M+ DOM hit. Unless it brings along some mega new innovation on CGI like the original did, I don't see that happening. The novelty factor is just not there anymore, and going against Star Wars is a whole new ballgame than having Sherlock Holmes as your toughest competitor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Alright, that's true. And hey, Aliens and T2 are Cameron's best movies, so they deserve big success. Buuuuuuuuut, yeah here's the thing...

Alien (1979) - 78.9M -> Aliens (1986) - 85.2M

INFLATION ADJUSTED: Alien - 267.7M -> Aliens - 195.3M

WW: Alien - 102.9M -> Aliens - 131.1M

So, the increase wasn't THAT big considering the 7 year difference, and adjusted for inflation, it considerably decreased.

I'll absolutely give you Terminator, though, the 1st one wasn't a big deal whatsoever and the 2nd exploded. But there you go right there: T1 WASN'T a big deal at the box office. And not only T2 brought significant changes to the way visual effects work, and it was not a sequel to one of the biggest hits of all time, so it didn't have to worry about living up to it numbers wise. By the time we had made it to T2, Schwarzenegger had many a hits (Total Recall, Twins, Predator to name a few), so on the virtue of his name, T2 almost beat T1 on OW alone. Thing is: T1's DOM run was under 40M anyway.

Thereby, the comparision between Terminator and Avatar is also moot, because T1 wasn't anywhere near one of the highest grossing films ever even at the time. Avatar is a completely different story. In order to increase, Avatar 2 has to live up to a 700M+ DOM hit. Unless it brings along some mega new innovation on CGI like the original did, I don't see that happening. The novelty factor is just not there anymore, and going against Star Wars is a whole new ballgame than having Sherlock Holmes as your toughest competitor.

So you admit your vague characterization was wrong and then attempt to clutch at straws? It's okay to admit fault. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hatebox said:

Will do! Always happy to stop by and say how exciting the prospect of not one, not two, not three, but four more sequels of this franchise is. :wub:

After Avatar 2 Jim will have directed the highest grossing film of all time, not once, not twice but thrice! Truly a remarkable achievement from a truly remarkable director.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

After Avatar 2 Jim will have directed the highest grossing film of all time, not once, not twice but thrice! Truly a remarkable achievement from a truly remarkable director.

And even if this does happen you'll have people saying how it was just luck again

• Like 2