grim22

Box Office Forums's "Most under-appreciated films of the 2000s". Reveal starting now

To get this to the top of the page

And the #1 Under-appreciated movie, as voted by BOF members is:

CLOUD ATLAS

Posted Image

PLOT: Everything is connected: an 1849 diary of an ocean voyage across the Pacific; letters from a composer to his lover; a thriller about a murder at a nuclear power plant; a farce about a publisher in a nursing home; a rebellious clone in futuristic Korea; and the tale of a tribe living in post-apocalyptic Hawaii, far in the future.

• Like 2

Sean Penn's The Pledge should have been on this list. It definitely would have been on mine, had I not totally forgotten about it.

Rewatched it last night. With strong direction and excellent performances across the board, it's a subtle and haunting child-abduction thriller that stays away from genre conventions and lingers in the mind long afterward.

the holidays has only just started and i hadn't seen much during uni, and so i've been away from the forum...just been tired i suppose

i misread your question as 'what have you seen lately', so here is the original post:

grand budapest hotel (2014), 7.5/10 - gratuitously whimsical, moreso than any other anderson film i've seen, but undoubtedly hilarious

paul (2011), 4/10 - these two without edgar wright seem lost in sentimentality. sometimes funny but pretty lame

the great gatsby (2013), 5.5/10 - i still love his style but without a standout musical set the huge romantic angle isn't that interesting

stroszek (1977), 8.5/10 - obviously being herzog it's great...the chicken dance ending is brilliant

M*A*S*H (1970), 7/10 - a bit disappointing from altman, but some genuinely witty stuff

spring breakers (2013), 6.5/10 - not that sure how to rate this, hypnotic but rather meaningless, which is probably the point

being john malkovich (1999), 9/10 - absolutely mental, hilarious, philosophical, emotional, brilliant

synecdoche new york (2008), 9.2/10 - the 45th addition to my masterpiece collection, perhaps the most harrowing film of all-time

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

I had Cap 1 at #2 on my list, and I thought for sure it would end up on here given that most of the films that make these lists are from within the past two or three years (I tried to vary when the rest of my list was from).