Totem

The Dark Knight Rises OS Discussion Thread/700M+ OS CLUB

No one's said it's a bad performance. It's decent. Nothing more.

If TASM performance is only decent for a reboot, then TDKR as a finale is a failure overseas. That's why I don't buy into these double standards that people insist to use it here. Both performances are stellar in the foreign markets, more so to TASM because it is a reboot.

If TASM performance is only decent for a reboot, then TDKR as a finale is a failure overseas. That's why I don't buy into these double standards that people insist to use it here. Both performances are stellar in the foreign markets, more so to TASM because it is a reboot.

I disagree with the reboot notion overseas. Once a product becomes a brand, it doesn't really matter whether it's a reboot or not. Pirates 4 was basically a reboot and look how massive it was overseas. Spidey was a huge brand already overseas in 2002 and has remained that way for 10 years. ASM's performance is just proof of how big the brand is. TDKR's performance is proof that Batman is no longer just popular in the domestic market like it used to be.
  • Like 1

I disagree with the reboot notion overseas. Once a product becomes a brand, it doesn't really matter whether it's a reboot or not. Pirates 4 was basically a reboot and look how massive it was overseas. Spidey was a huge brand already overseas in 2002 and has remained that way for 10 years. ASM's performance is just proof of how big the brand is. TDKR's performance is proof that Batman is no longer just popular in the domestic market like it used to be.

Going to have to disagree a bit there. Potc 4 was in no shape or form a reboot. It was a sequel. I definitely think doing the origin again hurt ASM a bit almost everywhere Edited by John Marston

Don't expect crazy numbers like this for neither MoS or Batman's reboot. I doubt that it will happen like this again so soon. Spider-Man as a brand is far more recent than Batman, so I have to give it for TASM for been able to keep a stellar performance in a reboot even after becoming a brand later in the game than Batman ever did.

Pirates still had Depp. It is all that matters. I actually based my 800M OS prediction for TASM in PotC4, and I always thought that TASM was locked to do 700M OS.

You didn't. You just said that so you could gloat that TASM wouldn't be able to get there. I could do the same for TDKR and join the $700m OS loonie bandwagon, but I'm not doing it because I don't think it's fair, even with a film that I don't like. TDKR isn't getting there. And I seriously doubt that will make more $150m from OS markets without China.

I figured Spidey should have hit 600 at least. It has a boost of around 18% from 3D. European markets are terrible now compared to 2007, but Asian markets are way bigger and so is Russia. South America has expanded quite a bit as well.

Backhanded expectations IMHO. Just like what I explained above. $600m is impossible to TASM to reach. I'm still not even sure if it's possible to TDKR to reach.

You didn't. You just said that so you could gloat that TASM wouldn't be able to get there. I could do the same for TDKR and join the $700m OS loonie bandwagon, but I'm not doing it because I don't think it's fair, even with a film that I don't like. TDKR isn't getting there. And I seriously doubt that will make more $150m from OS markets without China.

WTF are you talking about :lol:?

I disagree with the reboot notion overseas. Once a product becomes a brand, it doesn't really matter whether it's a reboot or not. Pirates 4 was basically a reboot and look how massive it was overseas.

Reboot does matter OS just as much as DOM, the difference is that the growing OS market is concealing the fact that attendance goes down in developed markets.Pirates 4 is not a reboot in any shape or form, it's featuring the same actors, most of all Depp.

If TASM performance is only decent for a reboot, then TDKR as a finale is a failure overseas.

No, it's not. TASM is dropping despite 3D while TDKR is increasing over its predecessor.I would label TASM's performance as decent, TDKR's as good.