Totem

The Dark Knight Rises OS Discussion Thread/700M+ OS CLUB

All that is debatable. It is not a Batman Begins level stage setter. it has a plethora of issues that even the Sony CEO admitted too. The director may not even be back for the sequel. Your rose colored glasses view of this film is delusional with all the information out here known about this film.

again, every movie needs to get a Batman Begins type reception to have a response considered positive?Just more bullshit from you Edited by John Marston

again, every movie needs to get a Batman Begins type reception to have a response considered positive?Just more bullshit from you

We don't know how good was the reception of BB next to these other movies. As far as I remember, TASM reception was just as good if not a tad better than BB back then.

5/10 is not a C. Obviously, Meta critic is a tough grader. And using Meta Critic to try and prove your point is kind of ironic since TASM did decidedly average to poor on it.

MetaCritic gave TDK a 82 and labeled it "Universal Acclaim," which means that their grading system is very harsh. ASM has a 66 on there and is labeled "Generally favorable reviews." That is in no way average or poor by any means.
  • Like 1

I have admitted that I was wrong, I have moved on and I'm more than happy for the numbers that TASM is making. Are you sure that are "the loonies haven't moved on"? Are you sure that aren't you having a meltdown here?

Well since loonies think average = bad, yes I am sure you folks haven't moved on.

MetaCritic gave TDK a 82 and labeled it "Universal Acclaim," which means that their grading system is very harsh. ASM has a 66 on there and is labeled "Generally favorable reviews." That is in no way average or poor by any means.

Why do you ignore things that don't fit your POV like the percentage and the user rating?

You said "solid" at first but ever since i started posting factual information about how people truly feel about TASM, you moved the goal posts to "positive" "decent" "generally favorable" :rofl::rotfl:

You said "solid" at first but ever since i started posting factual information about how people truly feel about TASM, you moved the goal posts to "positive" "decent" "generally favorable" :rofl::rotfl:

Go to MetaCritic. The quote "generally favorable" is used by MetaCritic itself, not me. By the way, TDKR received the exact same label from MetaCritic: "generally favorable reviews."

What about the user rating? It's solid. ASM has a reception a bit better than Captain America. I considered Captain America's reception to be solid too.

Well the GA disagrees with you there since Captain America was viewed, as wait for it, an average film.

I always found TASM a success, a job well done for a reboot, and personally sees a significant jump for the sequel DOM/OS/WW (1b is probably likely at this point. 1st for SM series). So I understand your frustration because it certainly isn't a failure, success really, as it will be the biggest hit Sony will have this year.However, I think that it's kinda unfair to say TDKR is not as impressive as it actually is. Let's take away the 3D novelty, which is continually expanding OS while it is declining here in DOM. Let's compare TDK numbers to TDKR. TDK was the first SH to reach 1B (WB made sure that happened lol), its OS number for non-SM superhero film was something extraordinary 468M! Now at our third weekend (TASM had a week full of OS markets, I think it was about $50m from Asia, to add to its total so its unfair to compare that to TDKR's third full week IMHO), TDKR is 31% ahead of where "The Dark Knight" was during the same point in its release, using exchange rates from four years ago, beating TDK's 3rd weekend by 30m (67m vs. 38m) If had the same pace from now on, which I doubt to be honest, we are looking at 468m*1.31, which is 600m without China (again, this will not be the case IMO). It will beat TDK OS middle of next week excluding China where it's headed for a huge number (so is TASM). 500mOS/1bWW is locked without China, and we are potentially looking at 1.1b to 1.2b with China depending how big it'll be there and on holds from now on as I think Olympics are doing more damage than I thought it would.Yes I truly believe TASM is a success, with possibility of beating SM2 if China business is huge there, but in its own terms. If we really had to compare between the two, I honestly believe TDKR is far more impressive.I love both SM and Batman so I tried to be as impartial as I can.

Well the GA disagrees with you there since Captain America was viewed, as wait for it, an average film.

yep and Ted and Hangover and Superman, and the first two Spider-Man films, and the first two X-Men films, and the third Harry Potter movie and a whole bunch of other movies according to your logic, are actually "Average" not positive. OK

Go to MetaCritic. The quote "generally favorable" is used by MetaCritic itself, not me. By the way, TDKR received the exact same label from MetaCritic: "generally favorable reviews."

Uh, I am talking user scores since that judges word of mouth, not reviews. TDKR has 8.7 and Universal Acclaim. TASM 7.4 and generally favorable.

I always found TASM a success, a job well done for a reboot, and personally sees a significant jump for the sequel DOM/OS/WW (1b is probably likely at this point. 1st for SM series). So I understand your frustration because it certainly isn't a failure, success really, as it will be the biggest hit Sony will have this year.However, I think that it's kinda unfair to say TDKR is not as impressive as it actually is. Let's take away the 3D novelty, which is continually expanding OS while it is declining here in DOM. Let's compare TDK numbers to TDKR. TDK was the first SH to reach 1B (WB made sure that happened lol), its OS number for non-SM superhero film was something extraordinary 468M! Now at our third weekend (TASM had a week full of OS markets, I think it was about $50m from Asia, to add to its total so its unfair to compare that to TDKR's third full week IMHO), TDKR is 31% ahead of where "The Dark Knight" was during the same point in its release, using exchange rates from four years ago, beating TDK's 3rd weekend by 30m (67m vs. 38m) If had the same pace from now on, which I doubt to be honest, we are looking at 468m*1.31, which is 600m without China (again, this will not be the case IMO). It will beat TDK OS middle of next week excluding China where it's headed for a huge number (so is TASM). 500mOS/1bWW is locked without China, and we are potentially looking at 1.1b to 1.2b with China depending how big it'll be there and on holds from now on as I think Olympics are doing more damage than I thought it would.Yes I truly believe TASM is a success, with possibility of beating SM2 if China business is huge there, but in its own terms. If we really had to compare between the two, I honestly believe TDKR is far more impressive.I love both SM and Batman so I tried to be as impartial as I can.

yes, the fact is TDKR is a huge hit and ASM is a decent sized hit. Those are the facts. Unfortunately many are desperate to portray ASM as some kind of negatively received failure. Very pathetic

yep and Ted and Hangover and Superman, and the first two Spider-Man films, and the first two X-Men films, and the third Harry Potter movie and a whole bunch of other movies according to your logic, are actually "Average" not positive. OK

Captain America was as well received as Ted and the first 2 Spider Man films? :rofl::rotfl: