Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

From Wed. to Sun. Interstellar will be ahead in the comparison due to Thanksgiving. Should return to normal on Mon. That said, Interstellar had fantastic weekly holds for most of Dec. so I wouldn't quite say there's no way The Martian fails. Agree it's unlikely though. I'm hoping for a weekend around $13 mil.

Curious to see what impact IMAX has on numbers. Perhaps the limited release window will push the hard core fans (I suspect there's quite a few given the book) back for a second viewing they weren't planning on.

From Wed. to Sun. Interstellar will be ahead in the comparison due to Thanksgiving. Should return to normal on Mon. That said, Interstellar had fantastic weekly holds for most of Dec. so I wouldn't quite say there's no way The Martian fails. Agree it's unlikely though. I'm hoping for a weekend around $13 mil.

Curious to see what impact IMAX has on numbers. Perhaps the limited release window will push the hard core fans (I suspect there's quite a few given the book) back for a second viewing they weren't planning on.

IMAX should help, especially given that next weekend is weak for new releases.

Funny about the IMAX showing. I saw it at the Air and Space museum here in their IMAX theater, however it was a "special digital projection presentation from the Smithsonian." Guess they couldn't use the IMAX name for contractual reasons. But now, even though it was playing there until Spectre anyways, it's getting an official IMAX release.

Anything in the $200 million ballpark is already a huge success. What I wonder is what the WW total will be by the end of its run. It has huge potential to do well in China given the star power and them featuring prominently in the story but it does open right after Mockingjay2. 

• Like 1

Anything in the $200 million ballpark is already a huge success. What I wonder is what the WW total will be by the end of its run. It has huge potential to do well in China given the star power and them featuring prominently in the story but it does open right after Mockingjay2. 

MJP1 only did 36M, it has nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Given the way the holds went down over the last week or so we should be very satisfied with $200 mil. Anything more than that is gravy.

China has a very crowded November. Working in The Martian's favour is that most of its competition opens before it, meaning it could have two or three weeks unopposed. This would be unusual  as Chinese screens can drop +50% for Hollywood flicks when the schedule is crowded. Or does the Chinese cinema totally block out Hollywood on Dec. 1? Not sure.

The Martian wasn't even shot in IMAX. Also I imagine everyone that really wanted to see it already saw it during the first three weeks. IMAX company just trying to make back the money they lost out on when they backed The Walk and Crimson whatever.

This rerelease sucks. :p

Edited by Mojoguy

A really good movie, Ridley Scott still good. I don't think that's better than The Counselor or Prometheus but I had a great time, it's funny and intense. Visually impressive. And bravo to the actors, they are all very good, Matt Damon is really appealing, natural, beautiful. Loved Jeff Daniels too.