Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

MAY I JUST REMIND YOU OF THE MARS MOVIE CURSE...

It has killed great movies like John Carter, why should this here be an exception...

John Carter was killed when they removed "of Mars" from the title.

Other than that, name two other good Mars movies that did worse than they deserved.

• Like 1

John Carter was killed when they removed "of Mars" from the title.

Other than that, name two other good Mars movies that did worse than they deserved.

Removing "Of Mars" was a huge mistake.

But...it wasn't a big enough a mistake to overcome the fact that film was a massively expensive movie that, even with Of Mars...still wouldn't have been profitable. There's many more mistakes made on that. Like...that movie didn't even really go over budget. Do you understand how enormous a movie has to be to make a 300m budget palatable? It's chances were slim, no matter how good it was.

• Like 2

Removing "Of Mars" was a huge mistake.

But...it wasn't a big enough a mistake to overcome the fact that film was a massively expensive movie that, even with Of Mars...still wouldn't have been profitable. There's many more mistakes made on that. Like...that movie didn't even really go over budget. Do you understand how enormous a movie has to be to make a 300m budget palatable? It's chances were slim, no matter how good it was.

Reading about John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland etc. makes me shocked that Disney pulled the plug on Tron 3 instead of losing more money on a bad live-action wannabe franchise builder movie.

Who suddenly got good sense there?

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Reading about John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland etc. makes me shocked that Disney pulled the plug on Tron 3 instead of losing more money on a bad live-action wannabe franchise builder movie.

Who suddenly got good sense there?

Well, Tron had data points (by data points, I mean Tron: Legacy) that those others didn't.

Plus, you have to consider changing of the guard, or new management.

John Carter largely existed to appeal to the boy crowd. With a Marvel killing it, and Star Wars, that need wasn't there. Lone Ranger? Well, I suppose that film was Bruckheimers last straw...not to mention Depps falling star.

Tommorowland? Well, that just didnt work out. I applaud the ambition, so I struggle to fault the green light. The pieces were there...they just didn't deliver. That sort of thing isn't something I feel good about talking down on, even when it fails. And Tomorrowland was like John Carter...Disney taking a chance on a filmmaker who has delivered in the past.

I just...I just can't complain about that. I like risks, and I can recognize them even when they fail.

No Tron 3? Seriously, there's precedence. It's not the same. Though, surely, it's informed by those other recent failures.

Point being...I can weave a tale about how each film made sense at the time, and...it makes me say...I don't think the choices were wrong. Even if they failed. I like risk. And if you like risk, you must recognize them even when they don't work out.

The only bad part is, those failures will hurt the chances of more risk. So is life.

• Like 3

Well, Tron had data points (by data points, I mean Tron: Legacy) that those others didn't.

Plus, you have to consider changing of the guard, or new management.

John Carter largely existed to appeal to the boy crowd. With a Marvel killing it, and Star Wars, that need wasn't there. Lone Ranger? Well, I suppose that film was Bruckheimers last straw...not to mention Depps falling star.

Tommorowland? Well, that just didnt work out. I applaud the ambition, so I struggle to fault the green light. The pieces were there...they just didn't deliver. That sort of thing isn't something I feel good about talking down on, even when it fails. And Tomorrowland was like John Carter...Disney taking a chance on a filmmaker who has delivered in the past.

I just...I just can't complain about that. I like risks, and I can recognize them even when they fail.

No Tron 3? Seriously, there's precedence. It's not the same. Though, surely, it's informed by those other recent failures.

Point being...I can weave a tale about how each film made sense at the time, and...it makes me say...I don't think the choices were wrong. Even if they failed. I like risk. And if you like risk, you must recognize them even when they don't work out.

The only bad part is, those failures will hurt the chances of more risk. So is life.

Does Disney have a very expensive 180-250m tentpole that is not Pixar-Marvel-Star Wars-Real live action of old Disney classics in the pipeline ?

I think not.

The John Carter-Lone Ranger-Tomorrowland 3 hit combo was a very clear message to Satan.

• Like 1

Does Disney have a very expensive 180-250m tentpole that is not Pixar-Marvel-Star Wars-Real live action of old Disney classics in the pipeline ?

I think not.

The John Carter-Lone Ranger-Tomorrowland 3 hit combo was a very clear message to Satan.

Pirates?