CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Correct, that's my point. TDK dropped over 50% in July but would have been sub-50% if it came out in early May with smaller weekdays. The weekend number is inflated in early May due to much smaller weekdays, yet SM3 still dropped over 60% even with zero competition.

Yup, SM3 (not counting the Twilight movies) pretty much has the worst multiplier of all-time for a huge blockbuster movie:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

Edited by FTF

TDKR had huge weekdays. SM3 did not.

The Hunger Games, then. No boosted weekdays, similar second weekend drop. Zero competition for a month.

Edited by DamienRoc

True. The world realized very quickly SM3 wasn't very good. WOM was gonna bring that one down quickly, regardless of Shrek or Pirates.

Yep, maybe $350-355m or so without those movies. But it definitely doomed its own fate. It had enough time and easy competition those first two weeks to rack up some crazy money and be a lock for $400m no matter what came out 3-4 weeks later.

TDK was the first sequel, a proper comp is TDKR.  It dropped 61.4% compared to SM3's 61.5%  It also had zero competition in its second week.  

However, it stabalized in its 3rd and 4th weekends where SM3 didn't.  Part of that was because of Shrek 3 and Pirates 3.  

I'm not saying it missed out on $50-60m or anything, but a fair guess would be $15-20m easy.  

summer weekdays. changes everything :

ow + mon-thu + 2nd weekend(drop)

tdkr  160.9 + 64.1 + 62.1(-61.4%)

sm3 151.1 + 30.9 + 58.1(-60.8%)

mon-thu of tdkr is bigger than the 2nd weekend!

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

The Hunger Games, then. No boosted weekdays, similar second weekend drop. Zero competition for a month.

Frontloading has gotten worse over time, but even the first Hunger Games was more frontloaded than you might expect considering how great its WOM was. Both of those movies had great WOM and were still pretty frontloaded. Kind of difficult to directly compare with a franchise like Spidey, which actually did have at least one example of incredible legs despite a massive opening. SM1's run is still jawdropping.

summer weekdays. changes everything :

ow + mon-thu + 2nd weekend(drop)

tdkr  160.9 + 64.1 + 62.1(-61.4%)

sm3 151.1 + 30.9 + 58.1(-60.8%)

mon-thu of tdkr is bigger than the 2nd weekend!

I understand, he is the one that brought TDK into it, not me.

What can be done to improve TASM 3? I have no problem if Webb stays. From what I hear the acting and visuals are good. I think new scriptwriters are needed ASAP. Also, Avi Arad needs to get sent packing. He seems to think of audiences as utter morons when you watch interviews with him

Whatever dude.  You clearly aren't even reading a word I'm saying so I'm done at this point.

Really? I read what you said. $64m in weekday money vs. $31m in weekday money. If you don't understand how that affects the second weekend demand, then I'm not sure what to say other than "whatever dude."

Sequelitis is a disease that affects most sequels irrespective of wom, even a movie like ca2.

ca : multiplier of 2.71 mixed wom

ca2: multiplier of 2.68 amazing wom (Assuming 255 total)

Different. 10m previews added in. CA didn't have that.

Different. 10m previews added in. CA didn't have that.

true. but the non-preview multipliers still wouldn't reflect the wom. sequels do get affected somewhat.

Edited by a2k

Where's this Spider-Man 3 argument going, by the way? I thought maybe it was in relation to ASM2's possible legs, but Iron Man is the only summer opener in recent memory that didn't implode in the face of competition.

IM3 barely held better than SM3 in the end, and IM2 would have been right in the same territory if the Memorial Day openers in 2010 weren't the pits. Given how things look this year, I actually don't think there's a chance ASM2 gets a 2.4 multiplier.

true. but the multipliers still wouldn't reflect the wom. sequels do get affected somewhat.

True enough. But I just think the multiplier gets skewed a bit with the way the previews being folding into OW. It was fine when it was just midnights but these previews are getting earlier and earlier. 

• Like 1

Whoah somebody's angry. I just asked a simple question.And it wasn't just that SM3 received bad WOM...many thought it was too soon for a reboot.You need to take some time off the computer.

You asked a question , I gave you an answer. Mind you that SM3 was actually a huge box office success ww unlike B&R , so the foundation for a new series was better .It's a pity and a shame what director Sony chose and what Spider-Man (only by name )movies he gave us , but they are what they are and have seriously devaluated the character as a movie character. As for the personal insults , don't care sorry .

IM3 barely held better than SM3 in the end, and IM2 would have been right in the same territory if the Memorial Day openers in 2010 weren't the pits. Given how things look this year, I actually don't think there's a chance ASM2 gets a 2.4 multiplier.

The smaller opening could help it compared to movies like IM3. Going to be very interesting to see how it holds up with Godzilla/X-Men targeting the same demographic. Also curious to see how the screen count will be affected.