#ED

Tuesday Actuals 5/6/14: TASM2 - 6.24M

2.6 would only be $247m.  Cap should be at around $244m after this w/e. Closer to 2.7 with $256.5m.  Pretty good considering it had a $10.1m Thursday. 

This is its last real weekend though next week Godzilla will take is screens and then Dofp will kill what's left

But will it get there? Will be a struggle imo, with the slate of big new movies to follow.

I'm trying to find a movie where Disney would create a double feature to include Cap 2. Don't they do it every year?

• Like 2

TASM2 is having better dailies than Thor 2 (apart from the first Monday of Thor 2 which was a holiday), and has slightly better increases and drops compared to Thor 2 so far. Both movies are also facing an R-Rated comedy on the second weekend. TASM2 should surpass Thor 2's 36.5M 2nd weekend, but will probably fall short of Cap 2's 41M 2nd weekend.

Why are we comparing Spidey to Thor 2 though?

I'm trying to find a movie where Disney would create a double feature to include Cap 2. Don't they do it every year?

Oh yes. They have maleficent. You're right they will do a double feature there. You know Thor 2 just left the theaters. :lol:

• Like 1

:)

I'm not on board with Batman vs. Superman yet. I really wanted Superman to get his own sequel.  I wanted to see some Daily Planet action.  Oh well. I'll probably get on board after the first trailer.

I agree.  The movie is going to be stuffed with so many characters that not one of them will be developed.  They didn't even try to develop Clark and Lois Lane at all in Man of Steel.  It is going to be a terrible plot like Spider-Man 3 combined with the non-stop, ugly visual effects of a Michael Bay movie.  Not a healthy combination.

• Like 1

I think Cap 2 will end around 251M all said and done. I'm comparing it to Lego movie.

Cap 2 just came off a 7.7M weekend and reached a gross of 237M, it dropped 52%.

Lego had a 7.7M weekend and had reached a gross of 237M that weekend after dropping 30%. Lego is currently at 253M, and Cap's legs have not been as strong as Lego so far. So it will fall slightly behind Lego from this point IMO.

Why are we comparing Spidey to Thor 2 though?

Because a few people on this board seem to think that TASM2 will lose it's legs completely and finish behind Thor 2 in the end. So a comparison makes sense, also gives us a ballpark for the second weekend numbers.

Edited by grim22

Oh yes. They have maleficent. You're right they will do a double feature there. You know Thor 2 just left the theaters. :lol:

So Cap 2 does have a chance at 260M. I think it reaches it by Labor Day.

Make Dat Money Marvel. I fully support this movie since it's actually good.

• Like 3

This is its last real weekend though next week Godzilla will take is screens and then Dofp will kill what's left

It should still be over 2000 theaters then.  There are lots of screens and theaters that are going to open this weekend and next with quite a few duds and films still with sizable screen counts that are pulling in less than CA2   By DOFP even Spider-man will be down theaters and probably on less than half the screens it is now.

I fully expect Cap 2 to drag over to about 260M+ over the Summer. 

I was criticized before for saying that, but I completely agree. This is going to have a consistent summer presence probably up to Guardians of the Galaxy. Similar to how The Hunger Games slowly increased its gross throughout the entire summer showing some really great late legs. 

I agree.  The movie is going to be stuffed with so many characters that not one of them will be developed.  They didn't even try to develop Clark and Lois Lane at all in Man of Steel.  It is going to be a terrible plot like Spider-Man 3 combined with the non-stop, ugly visual effects of a Michael Bay movie.  Not a healthy combination.

You're leaping to all sorts of assumptions.

[A] It's a virtual surety that some (possibly most) of the characters will be more cameos or briefer introductions to be expanded later. 

No one has any idea what the plot is.

[C] I don't tend to like Bay movies (at least, in recent years), but they look great.

• Like 5

I was criticized before for saying that, but I completely agree. This is going to have a consistent summer presence probably up to Guardians of the Galaxy. Similar to how The Hunger Games slowly increased its gross throughout the entire summer showing some really great late legs. 

That would certainly be lovely!

So Cap 2 does have a chance at 260M. I think it reaches it by Labor Day.

Make Dat Money Marvel. I fully support this movie since it's actually good.

It really is a good movie. I hope you're right.

I think Cap 2 will end around 251M all said and done. I'm comparing it to Lego movie.

Cap 2 just came off a 7.7M weekend and reached a gross of 237M, it dropped 52%.

Lego had a 7.7M weekend and had reached a gross of 237M that weekend after dropping 30%. Lego is currently at 253M, and Cap's legs have not been as strong as Lego so far. So it will fall slightly behind Lego from this point IMO.

LEGO at first had Spring Break to give it better weekday legs and CA2 will start to benefit at the end of it's run with more colleges then school in general being out.  Before it's drop against Spider man it had two sub 40% drops and might have the same this weekend. If it finishes the w/e at $244m that's a $7m week.  It should have more than $7m left after that for the rest of it's run.

EDIT: TDW made $2.3m more domestic after it stopped reporting dailies

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=thor2.htm

Edited by TalismanRing